Sith or Jedi?

• Sith

Votes: 32 37.2%
  • Jedi

Votes: 51 59.3%
  • Chuck Norris

Votes: 3 3.5%

• Total voters
Perf, remember that in the pre-Disney era the Jedi and Sith espoused the light- v. dark-side view of the Force, but there were ‘heretical’ views of the Force e.g. the Potentium view espoused IIRC by Qui-Gon Jinn.
That wasn't in EP I was it?
I have a question. They always talk about the balance of the force. Like Anakin is the chosen one who is to bring balance to the force. But then they just kill all the bad guys or make them into good guys. Where, exactly, enters a "Balance" the equation. It almost feels like this whole thing is not thought through, you know!
In my view the light ought be balance, the dark imbalance. But I'm not Disney.

I have a question. They always talk about the balance of the force. Like Anakin is the chosen one who is to bring balance to the force. But then they just kill all the bad guys or make them into good guys. Where, exactly, enters a "Balance" the equation. It almost feels like this whole thing is not thought through, you know!
I'm of the school of thought that its a numerical thing. One Jedi for one Sith. That's the balance. So when there was a whole guild of Jedi and only a couple Sith it was out of balance and Anakin (as Vader) kept putting it in balance by killing the outliers on each side.

So as long as there as Jedi, there will always have to be Sith... that's where I'm sensing (with my Force powers) that this new movie is going.

I suppose it's always possible (but rather unlikely) that balancing the Force meant correcting the extremes of the Jedi Council, who had become rather imbalanced by his time. After all, butchering many Jedi and killing off the (then) last of the Sith would certainly do that, given that it left only Luke, who had no connection to the Jedi Council of yesteryear.

Yeah, I think people misinterpret "light side" and "dark side" to imply two complementary halves of a whole, but that's not how this sort of pseudo-Taoist universe is going to work. It's about harmony and chaos, not good and evil, at least not as such. "Dark sight" and "light side" aren't really sides in the sense of left and right, more like, say, the over-side and under-side of a body of water: harmonious and serene on top, chaotic and violent below. It's not a distinction between good force, bad force, but a way of articulating the latent destructiveness inherent in life itself.

As for the prophecy, it's probably easier just to say that it was wrong, that either there was never a "Chosen One", or that the role of the Chosen One was not that of a messiah, but simply to set into motion the events that would lead to the destruction of the Sith at Endor. And as far as we know, the Sith were destroyed: giganto-Gollum and a kid in Vader cosplay do not an ancient and terrible order make. And maybe that's what Luke means when he says we're done with the Jedi, that the Jedi were justified by the continuing existence of their mirror image in the Sith, and that while the light and dark side of the force persist, the rules of the game have changed.

Yes! Yes! These are the words I needed.

As for the prophecy, it's probably easier just to say that it was wrong, that either there was never a "Chosen One", or that the role of the Chosen One was not that of a messiah, but simply to set into motion the events that would lead to the destruction of the Sith at Endor. And as far as we know, the Sith were destroyed: giganto-Gollum and a kid in Vader cosplay do not an ancient and terrible order make. And maybe that's what Luke means when he says we're done with the Jedi, that the Jedi were justified by the continuing existence of their mirror image in the Sith, and that while the light and dark side of the force persist, the rules of the game have changed.
Hey that's what I said! Sort of :blush:

That wasn't in EP I was it?
It was in the bakground materials. There was a lengthy explanation of why the Council and Qui-Gon didn't get on well (not that their relationship was that well depicted, given that the director was merchandisateur extraordinaire George Lucas.
That was the original view in the EU that is now no longer canon thanks to Disney.
As for the prophecy, it's probably easier just to say that it was wrong, that either there was never a "Chosen One", or that the role of the Chosen One was not that of a messiah, but simply to set into motion the events that would lead to the destruction of the Sith at Endor.
To once again quote the EU, Darth Plagueis' manipulation of midichlorians resulted in his discovering the secret to æternal life, and apparently the little cuddly things decided to create Anakin as their Chosen One to end Plagueis and his disciple Sidious.

Given that I agree 100% with Perf about SW not being Star Trek and that the Force as a spirit/deity is far better than as a simple bacterial infection, that's one bit of idiotic canon I'd definitely do away with.

Being cut off from the divine is hardly a new idea, nor is corrupting the divine. Midichlorians are simply a vessel, not the end-all-be-all. Regaining one's connection to the Force is a plot point explored in the EU and is one I hope to see explored in the new canon. Manipulating the Force for "perverse" reasons is also something that allows many different stories.

Given that I agree 100% with Perf about SW not being Star Trek and that the Force as a spirit/deity is far better than as a simple bacterial infection, that's one bit of idiotic canon I'd definitely do away with.
I'm still holding out hope for Luke or someone to say something along the lines of "Midichlorians? Oh yeah, no that was just an ancient superstition... they even had devices they though could "measure" them... but it was just junk science... the force is more complex/spiritual/elusive/mysterious than that", period. That all that needs to happen to rid us of midicholrians for good.

giganto-Gollum
Hey, who shares my hunch that Snoke is going to turn out actually to be small in size, just magnified in the projection, a kind of Wizard of Oz character?

Do you remember the Buffy episode where they were all scared about this particular badass demon, but forgot to notice that the tome that was informing them about him had a "shown actual size" comment?

Hey, who shares my hunch that Snoke is going to turn out actually to be small in size, just magnified in the projection, a kind of Wizard of Oz character?

Do you remember the Buffy episode where they were all scared about this particular badass demon, but forgot to notice that the tome that was informing them about him had a "shown actual size" comment?
I mean the Emperor's head is also magnified in V. I do believe they just went for full-body magnification the same reason they made Star Killer a planet: bigger is better (somebody should have told them it ain't so).

But then someone would have pointed out that the mega-turbo-death-laser-of-doom going off with Stormtroopers all around would probably have incinerated the onlookers due to sheer proximity to such a gigantic source of heat.

would probably have incinerated the onlookers due to sheer proximity to such a gigantic source of heat.
Here I need a picture of the ‘Aliens’ guy from the History Channel, but with ‘Forcefields’ as the caption.

So quickly you all forget... A wise one once said... "Judge me by my size do you?... And where you should not. For my ally is the Force."

And then he proceeded to poop on the concept of midichlorians :yeah:, while delivering his tour-de-force speech...

So quickly you all forget... A wise one once said... "Judge me by my size do you?... And where well you should not. For my ally is the Force."

Yeah, that's what I have in mind. He'll be like the size of one of those frogs Jabba eats, but then he'll still have impressive Force powers.

(Because of his high levels of midichlorians.)

any possibility to lock this thread until December or so , to help avoiding spoilers ?

Top Bottom