Altered Maps 4: Partitioning Eastern Europe Like In The Good Old Days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surprised that Scottish isn't the top in Bruce and Huron counties, but I guess it is only in certain areas of them.

Windsor is also a surprise.

Remember that is all of Peel, not just Mississauga (i.e. include all the Indians and other minorities in Brampton).

Surprised that Scottish isn't the top in Bruce and Huron counties, but I guess it is only in certain areas of them.

Windsor is also a surprise.

The difference between the largest and second largest groups in all three is very small. I'm guessing the French origins of Windsor and area (like Detroit) does much to account for the results in Essex county.

I think Mississauga needs a Polish circle...

Why do you say so?

Remember that is all of Peel, not just Mississauga (i.e. include all the Indians and other minorities in Brampton).

This is correct. Without actually crunching the numbers, I believe Poles rank ~10th in Peel region and ~7th in Mississauga alone.

I don't know the numbers, but Polish is one of the largest first languages is Mississauga (according to wiki) after English, French, Urdu, and Chinese, and I expect Poles integrate better than visible minorities. Including Brampton puts Punjabi and Portuguese ahead of Polish as well (it is 13th in Brampton alone). I ignored Caledon, as it is negligible compared to the other two. They didn't have ethnicity divided beyond "white" so I can't judge it directly.

I'm guessing the French origins of Windsor and area (like Detroit) does much to account for the results in Essex county.
I don't know the details about Detroit/Windsor, but settlements in the area (pretty much anything west of Montreal) were primarily military/fur trading posts with perhaps a small community to support the fort.

The difference between the largest and second largest groups in all three is very small
Where I am from, essentially the border between Huron and Bruce, and Scottish history is clear and obvious. Just look at a map.

I don't know the numbers, but Polish is one of the largest first languages is Mississauga (according to wiki) after English, French, Urdu, and Chinese, and I expect Poles integrate better than visible minorities. Including Brampton puts Punjabi and Portuguese ahead of Polish as well (it is 13th in Brampton alone). I ignored Caledon, as it is negligible compared to the other two. They didn't have ethnicity divided beyond "white" so I can't judge it directly.

If you're looking for data, look no further than the 2006 Census. Here's the stats for Peel Region and Mississauga.
That there is a significant Polish presence, I can agree.

I don't know the details about Detroit/Windsor, but settlements in the area (pretty much anything west of Montreal) were primarily military/fur trading posts with perhaps a small community to support the fort.

This is true, but it has to start somewhere. Windsor & area have a long and continuous history of residence by people of French descent, enough time for that small original population to propagate. I don't know, but as I said before, that would be my guess.

Where I am from, essentially the border between Huron and Bruce, and Scottish history is clear and obvious. Just look at a map.

I'm not surprised! The fact that Scottish, and Irish placenames abound across, well, the nation is testament to the role those peoples played as the first or primary settlers of many regions. The proportion of the population of Celtic origin was a fair bit higher then than it is now.
A personal question: Are you of Scottish extraction, by any chance?

As far back as my knowledge goes I have grandparents of Scottish descent and one of English. Though my mothers side comes from Northern or Eastern Ontario (they moved around a lot, don't know where they were from originally).
Though my great-great-grandfather was born in Ireland, it was to Scottish parents and moved to Scotland as a child.

The fact that Scottish, and Irish placenames abound across, well, the nation is testament to the role those peoples played as the first or primary settlers of many regions. The proportion of the population of Celtic origin was a fair bit higher then than it is now.
Place names are the most obvious, but living here, the number of people with Scottish background or Scottish names is quite high (actually there are a number of recent Scottish immigrants to the area). Several years back they released a history book about the township my father is from (and I originally lived in) and almost every family is heavily Scottish, though recently there are substantial Dutch and Mennonite communities moving in, and now we are starting to get a number of Indians and other Asians (still almost pure white though). I never found much English descent (except from the North where they may as well have been Scottish), though.
Irish is definitely less common. I suppose the just settled elsewhere. But then agains I do have a rather limited perspective on the region (limited to Southern Bruce/Northern Huron.

After Venice defeated Visconti's attempt to invade Romagna in the Second Italian War, Venice was supreme hegemon of Northern Italy. It had puppets in the Pope, who now controlled Rome, Parma, and Milan itself. It's power extended to the East, where it possessed Cephallonia and Aydin, while it also dominated the Mediterranean islands. It even took Alexandria, giving it a huge economic sphere of influence.

While the Second War was originally an affair solely between Milan and the Italian coalition(Venice, Tuscany, and the Pope), it soon expanded. Hoping to take advantage of the chaos during the war, the Florentines invaded and annexed Pisa. The response was brutal, with Savoy, Genoa, Naples, and the Holy Roman Emperor forming a second coalition to fight off Tuscany. Venice also joined in by merit of having predicted Tuscany's aggression towards Pisa, and thus was in a perfect position to eliminate the Florentines.

The war ended with the Second Italian Coalition having made a grave mistake; through it's negligence, Venice seized 2/3 of Tuscany's territory in the form of Ancona and Pisa. This let Venice bloom into the hegemon of Italy, as Milan itself was soon absorbed into the Venetian-led forces.

As a result, Aragon and Naples made plans to destroy Venice, which threatened their position in the south of Italy. However, the Venetians caught evidence of this thanks to a plant in the Papal government, and launched a pre-emptive strike upon Naples.

The war was first between Venice and it's tributaries(the Pope, Cephallonia, Aydin) and Aragon-Naples. However, events prompted more powers to intervene. Siena, knowing that it would be doomed if Aragon was defeated, joined the Aragonese alliance. Tuscany remained neutral, as it was still devestated from the last war. When Corsica aligned with the Aragonese, Genoa joined it's Venetian rivals, hoping to reclaim Corsica.

From there, the fire spread outside Italy, with the Savoyards - who had invaded Milan beforehand and wanted a slice of Lombardia - declaring war upon Venice, wanting to curtail the growing Republic's power. Seeing opportunities in Savoy and wanting to press it's claims to Naples, the Angevins of Provence declared war upon Aragon. The Knights of St. John, knowing that Venice had designs on their strategic island, declared war upon Venice, hoping to flank them in the East.

The war stretched across Italy and the entire Mediterranean.

However, despite the odds, Venice would later triumph over the Aragonese. The Neopolitans would lose 2/3 of their territory, while Aragon would lose Sardinia, Malta and Sicily, while suffering the complete annihilation of it's fleet. The Third Italian War would pave the way to a pan-Italian state.

As far back as my knowledge goes I have grandparents of Scottish descent and one of English. Though my mothers side comes from Northern or Eastern Ontario (they moved around a lot, don't know where they were from originally).
Though my great-great-grandfather was born in Ireland, it was to Scottish parents and moved to Scotland as a child.

Cool, thanks for sharing!
As for me, I'm mostly German, if not entirely. My family moved to Ontario from Saskatchewan in the 1950s and before that, from Eastern Europe around the turn of the century. My great-grandmother, who was still living a couple years ago, was born in the Russian Empire! I possibly have a bit of English ancestry, a surname on my mother's side probably has either English or German origins. I know least about my patrilineal descent: My last name has many possible origins. My great-great-grandparents immigrated from somewhere in Austria-Hungary, making things even more confusing. Interestingly, the current head of state of a former Yugoslav nation has the same last name as me... I'm even told his appearance is similar to members of our family! I'm guessing this is just coincidence, though.

Place names are the most obvious, but living here, the number of people with Scottish background or Scottish names is quite high (actually there are a number of recent Scottish immigrants to the area). Several years back they released a history book about the township my father is from (and I originally lived in) and almost every family is heavily Scottish, though recently there are substantial Dutch and Mennonite communities moving in, and now we are starting to get a number of Indians and other Asians (still almost pure white though). I never found much English descent (except from the North where they may as well have been Scottish), though.
Irish is definitely less common. I suppose the just settled elsewhere. But then agains I do have a rather limited perspective on the region (limited to Southern Bruce/Northern Huron.

Interesting.... I'm going to attempt an explanation for the seemingly low amount of English people you have observed - you let me know if this fits with what you know about your area. Taking a look again at census stats (if you haven't already) for Bruce and Grey Counties, you can see that the number of people identifying as pure English or Scottish (single responses) is only a small percentage of the total number of people identifying as either ethnicity. The vast majority of both groups are mixed ancestry. I'm guessing a large proportion of the 'missing' English people are Scots; Scots with some English ancestry.

I found a map of central europe:
Spoiler :

Looks like we have some sort of neo-Habsburg Empire going on... But instead of encircling France, they've encircled Poland and such.

...Now I'm thinking about what it'd be like if two or more modern democratic countries elected the same person to head them both.

Edit: Oooo! That's one more thing to add as to why Poland is called "France Junior" in my book. :lol:

Great Bretagne, year 1609 or so.

Our only faithful ally is France :love:
our current temporary allies are Sweden, and different small states.
Our arch-enemy is England.
And Aragon. Castille used to be our best friends but their evil aragon allies changed that.
Aragon/Castille/mega-Brandenburg (which conquered entire Northern Germany)
and
England/Portugal
attack us regularily.
Portugal is reduced to 1 province now and we've prepared a big fleet to make an attack on Lisboa next war.
I am also often attack by Morocco/Algiers/Tunisia, but it's a minor nuissance.
I should be preparing to conquer Azteks soon.

Inflation (60%) is a major problem :(
But, still, I'm the richest country in the world. And the second one is my ally, France.

Attachments

• Great Bretagne.gif
    Great Bretagne.gif
    19.2 KB · Views: 77
...Now I'm thinking about what it'd be like if two or more modern democratic countries elected the same person to head them both.

I'm pretty sure almost every constitution of almost every Democratic country has a "You must reside in this country to hold office" clause.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom