always getting great library

This. Better, granary start with lot of deers/plains wheat. At Emperor or below or mp games it can be appealing only if you get starting land for it and already know at which turn you gonna get it without crippling too much everything else. For example, if i can't get the the GL in 24 turns of faster i just skip it.

The granary start let you bring your cap at 5-6 :c5citizen:, at least.

Speaking to Immortal level, you dont have to be that fast, there is a rule in the code that the AI wont start on a wonder that someone else is already far into. I would say get it started around 24 to 30.

good luck on diety, where the ai gets it on turn 15

Diety is broken that way. From what I read on the internet, it wasnt intentional.

One of my biggest pet peeves is the Great Library getting put in play thousands of years before it should be. Thats one reason why the diety games go so fast.

I agree that the GL + Oracle is a great combination, not only for the free tech (which I use for Philosophy) and the free social policy, but also for the early Great Scientist. That first academy comes a lot quicker. That strategy helped me set me on a path to generating over 3000 science/turn by the end of my last game.

It is definitely tough to get on higher difficulties, though, and I think there's a point where diverting too much time/production to building it may actually put you behind in the long run.

But still, getting the gl that early, thus slingshooting to philosophy to get an early national college is wort it. You will be in the top scientifically for the rest of the game.

Can you actually select philosophy with that build if you research mining after writing and have to do calender afterwards?

Example. And the game is pretty much decided.

Attachments

• Civ5Screen0003.JPEG
    Civ5Screen0003.JPEG
    411.9 KB · Views: 153
Can you actually select philosophy with that build if you research mining after writing and have to do calender afterwards?

Yeah. On immortal I used to build the GL every single time. Well at least if you found your city on a hill. Scout -> scout -> granary -> GL. Tech goes pottery -> writing -> mining -> calendar -> free philosophy. If you do this by the time you get to education you'll have a half a great scientist and 2 writing slots with a theming bonus.

I learned that that all comes with a downside though going for a wonder that early. Instead of the GL you can build a library and a settler. You also aren't forced to research calendar after mining, so you can go for masonry or trapping to get your other luxs. Also with getting the GL and philosophy so early, you are almost forced to put up a 1 city NC.

I do better when I get 3-4 cities out + their libraries and then NC. If you make the GL you will be behind a city early on and I just don't think getting philosophy early makes up for that.

This. Better, granary start with lot of deers/plains wheat. At Emperor or below or mp games it can be appealing only if you get starting land for it and already know at which turn you gonna get it without crippling too much everything else. For example, if i can't get the the GL in 24 turns of faster i just skip it.

The granary start let you bring your cap at 5-6 :c5citizen:, at least.

Agree with you there, only one problem. That way to get gl is dependant on you getting those tiles. Withmy way i know i will build gl before the game starts ☺

Yupp, just hold an eye on your building of gl and you can time it so you research calendar just before you build gl.

Agree with you there, only one problem. That way to get gl is dependant on you getting those tiles. Withmy way i know i will build gl before the game starts ☺

Good thing that i'm not dependent from the GL :blush:

If you want to gain levels you need to skip the GL most of the time.

You never mentioned barbarians. What to do when 2.3 barbarian brutes suddenly bumrush you the moment you got your 2nd worker and you have to hide them instead of chopping wood?

EDIT: I mean, not be a jerk or something, but it can be quite a gamble most of the time.

You never mentioned barbarians. What to do when 2.3 barbarian brutes suddenly bumrush you the moment you got your 2nd worker and you have to hide them instead of chopping wood?

EDIT: I mean, not be a jerk or something, but it can be quite a gamble most of the time.

Very true, good point.

I went back to King in current Major League, looking for fastest DV. I tried to build GL. I remember how many lost turn is a fail when AI fall in AI city.

I don't build GL since Emperor. On immortal, how can you resist to AI with such start as worker - worker - GL. You have no units except initial warrior, no granary, no shrine.
I prefer have 2 more warriors to grab workers from AI or CS, a granary and a shrine, instead of GL with a real chance to lost a couple of turns if AI drop it before me. You lost also hammers and science (cause you have to hard-research philo).

And as write before, how do you manage barbarians ?

Yeah. On immortal I used to build the GL every single time. Well at least if you found your city on a hill. Scout -> scout -> granary -> GL. Tech goes pottery -> writing -> mining -> calendar -> free philosophy. If you do this by the time you get to education you'll have a half a great scientist and 2 writing slots with a theming bonus.

I learned that that all comes with a downside though going for a wonder that early. Instead of the GL you can build a library and a settler. You also aren't forced to research calendar after mining, so you can go for masonry or trapping to get your other luxs. Also with getting the GL and philosophy so early, you are almost forced to put up a 1 city NC.

I do better when I get 3-4 cities out + their libraries and then NC. If you make the GL you will be behind a city early on and I just don't think getting philosophy early makes up for that.

Hmm i tried on immortal quick settings. does not work. population can add science only. needs workers and mines to race fir gl

just leave your warrior at home.

Which will hurt your exploration and no ruins.

Though I was reminded that on Emperor and up, the AI civs usually tend to deal with the barbarians for you. Most of the time, at least. They do get more bonuses vs them.

Only if they're really close to their lands as well. I see AI ignoring barbarian camps a lot on Emperor.

If the land lets you, just cut a big circle back to your capital, leave your warrior there for the few turns it takes to chop down the forest, then continue exploring in the other direction.

True, good point. :)

That strategy helped me set me on a path to generating over 3000 science/turn by the end of my last game

How many turns did you win? My criteria for science also includes turns played, science wins are very doable with less than 800 science, and waiting to get over 3000 science would have added dozens or more extra turns to the game.

Top Bottom