Amenity Guide

[Vanilla] Amenity Guide

Repeats can also used to gain favour with AIs if gifted... can't they? How big is the effect?

I am not sure what your question is? Could you please elaborate.

Question

I had founded a city on remote continent (with direct water connection) which had two additional ammenities (Gems and Coffee). Unfortunately these 2 only benefited that city and not all the others. Even after building harbors etc.

Somehow it seems amenities are only shared on the same continent. Can anyone confirm this?

I did some testing for you, to be sure. I'll add some screenshots.
First I started off with just the capital. This location had one luxury resource (Jade) and this is the only source of Amenity I used through out the testing.

I then found another continent (on the same landmass), and founded my second city there. This city benefited from that one Jade in my capital.

Later on I got to around the middle of the map (huge map setting), and found a third continent, so now we have both a separate continent on separate landmass and a lot of distance from my other cities. Alas, this city also benefited from that one Jade source.

So I am not sure what you did wrong. Did you perhaps already have access to those two luxuries? Have you traded for them from another civilization?

Different_continents.png Different_continents2.png

I did some testing for you, to be sure. I'll add some screenshots.
First I started off with just the capital. This location had one luxury resource (Jade) and this is the only source of Amenity I used through out the testing.

I then found another continent (on the same landmass), and founded my second city there. This city benefited from that one Jade in my capital.

Later on I got to around the middle of the map (huge map setting), and found a third continent, so now we have both a separate continent on separate landmass and a lot of distance from my other cities. Alas, this city also benefited from that one Jade source.

So I am not sure what you did wrong. Did you perhaps already have access to those two luxuries? Have you traded for them from another civilization?

View attachment 457139 View attachment 457140

Thanks for testing. However you are on the same landmass. I was on a different island so with a sea in between. Perhaps that makes thr difference?

That should not matter. Can you post a save file showing that the luxury wasn't shared overseas?

Thanks for testing. However you are on the same landmass. I was on a different island so with a sea in between. Perhaps that makes thr difference?

Please read my post again. I was not on the same landmass. Only the second city was on the same landmass. The third one was on a completely different landmass separated with an ocean, and on a different continent.
If I set my self to test something for you, I do not do it halfway, and post my answer as if it was not needed to try all the different scenarios.

I am not sure what your question is? Could you please elaborate.

Oh boy, that was some bad English. I was wondering whether it was the case that gifting repeated luxury resources actually improves relations with AI's and how much.

As I have just verified in the game, 1) yes they improve relationships and 2) the first gift (or "favourable trade deal") gives a +5 to the current "relationship score". The bonus you gain by offering more gifts seems to scale down in the following way: +3 for the 2nd gift (verified). I guess that it will be +2 for the 3rd gift and +1 for the 4th gift. Which is a fair bit when you factor "small issues" such as different governments (-4 IIRC) and taking the piss on the AI agenda (varies but the worst I have seen is like -5).

Oh boy, that was some bad English. I was wondering whether it was the case that gifting repeated luxury resources actually improves relations with AI's and how much.

As I have just verified in the game, 1) yes they improve relationships and 2) the first gift (or "favourable trade deal") gives a +5 to the current "relationship score". The bonus you gain by offering more gifts seems to scale down in the following way: +3 for the 2nd gift (verified). I guess that it will be +2 for the 3rd gift and +1 for the 4th gift. Which is a fair bit when you factor "small issues" such as different governments (-4 IIRC) and taking the piss on the AI agenda (varies but the worst I have seen is like -5).

Thanks for the information. I haven't really bothered too much about the different aspects of trading. The trading with AI is too broken at the moment for me to be concerned about it.
But this question and information would be better suited in it's own thread, as it does not really have anything with the amenity mechanic to do.

Updated the guide with the missing information that has been pointed out.
Thanks to all that catches what I have overlooked!

Also added the beginning of a FAQ, for the more common questions I see. And some minor edits for looks.

Update:

Clarified that the 'Perfume' granted from Estée Lauder provides +1 Amenity to 6 cities.
It could be confused as giving +6 Amenities.

Just remembered National parks...2 to the city that owns them and 1 to the 4 closest(?other?) cities

This is indeed correct.
Noted and will be added. Thanks!

EDIT: It has now been added. I put it under 'Other Sources'.

Last edited:
1 Amenity is required for each 2 population. This starts counting from 3 population, though.
So for 3 population you need 1 Amenity, for 5 population, 2 Amenity is needed. At 7 population you need 3 Amenity and so on. Did that make sense?

I think your description is wrong here; it's contradictory. For more than 3 population you need 1 amenity; at pop size three 0 amenities is fine. Then "more than" 5, etc etc.

I think your description is wrong here; it's contradictory. For more than 3 population you need 1 amenity; at pop size three 0 amenities is fine. Then "more than" 5, etc etc.

The description is right. See the attached image.

3pop amenity demand.png

This is from the same city, just a couple of turns in between. As soon as it reached 3 population it required 1 Amenity to stay Content.

Please read my post again. I was not on the same landmass. Only the second city was on the same landmass. The third one was on a completely different landmass separated with an ocean, and on a different continent.
If I set my self to test something for you, I do not do it halfway, and post my answer as if it was not needed to try all the different scenarios.
Remconius' original condition was that he settled a city on a different continent, and that only that non-capital city reaped the amenity benefits from the Gems & Coffee resources - his Capital City did not.

Your test indicated that the resources from your Capital city were shared with cities you settled on a different continent (same landmass) and then on a different landmass altogether.

Perhaps the issue is that resources from the Capital city are shared with cities on different continents and landmasses, but resources from non-Capital Cities are shared differently (perhaps only in that city, only in that continent or only on that landmass, not sure). Or perhaps Remconius needs to do more digging :)

Until Remconius or someone else posts a save file showing the problem, we must assume he is mistaken. It is certainly possible that he is right, but we need to see it. I know that I've yet to see a unique luxury not included as an Amenity, regardless of what landmass the city or the luxury was located on.

Here is the save.

Sorry it took a while, but I havent been at my computer for a few days.

Attachments

• FREDERICK BARBAROSSA 282 1822 AD.Civ6Save
    1.8 MB · Views: 328
I don't see the problem. Your earlier post said you connected coffee and diamonds in a city on a different continent and landmass (Ulm) that were not shared with your other cities.

You do appear to have 5 unique luxuries (coffee and diamonds, plus wine, pearls and marble), which should give you a total of 20 (5 x 4) amenities from luxuries. When I total up the amenities from luxuries details from your various cities, they add up to 20: 2 in Berlin, 3 each in Aachen, Mainz and Magdeberg, 4 in Ulm and 5 in Heidelberg.

Am I overlooking something?

Last edited:
For some odd reason, I am not getting notifications when comments are made on this thread.
So sorry for not replying. I'll take a look at your save a bit later.

I checked under view reports/ resources. I thought that shows which city uses what, but i now understand it is the supply.

How do you see which city gets which resource?

You cannot discern that from the information provided in the game. All you know is number of amenities from luxuries in a given city, not which luxuries.

Top Bottom