An explanation of the problems with the banking system.

Financial Crisis Balance Sheet
Government Entity Amount Allocated in Millions of Dollars Spent/Lent In Millions of Dollars
Federal Reserve:
(TAF) Term Auction Credit (allocated) 900000 415302
Discount Window Lending 139256
Banks (other loans primary credit) 92645
Investment Banks (other loans Primary dealer and other broker-dealer credit) 46611
Loans to buy ABCP (other loans Asset-backed commercial paper money market mutual fund liquidity facility) 661923
AIG (allocated minus Treasury 40B) 112500 87397
Bear Stearns (initial loan to JPMorgan) 29500 26919
(TSLF) Term Securities Lending Facility 225000 200524
Swap Lines (other federal reserve assets) 601963
(MMIFF) Money Market Investor Funding Facility (allocated) 540000
(CPFF) Commercial Paper Funding Facility *upper limit from Reuters 1800000 270879
(TALF) Term Asset-Backed Securities Loan Facility 200000 200000
GSE MBS NO NAME Program 600000 600000

Treasury:
(TARP) Treasury Asset Relief Program 700000 330000
Exchange Stabilization Fund to guarantee principal in money market mutual funds 50000
Treasury direct purchases of MBS since Sept. 26570
Citigroup (Treasury+FDIC guarantees) 238500

FDIC:
Guarantees for Banks 1900000

Other:
Automakers 25000
(FHA) Federal Housing Administration 300000
Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac 350000

TOTAL 7361917
Note: Figures as of Nov. 28, 2008

Can we put which parts of these figures are wrong and which parts are right.
Also, remember to add 2-5 trillion to the end as that amount has been spent since November.

So far the only figure questioned is the commercial paper market. Even eliminating that and tacking Obama's stimulus+ lending+ 2nd/3rd rounds of bailouts the total money spent is over 10 trillion, guaranteed.

If you can show me what is wrong about these figures, I will stop using them.

Mostly, as has been explained to you, it is a number somewhere between 0 and up to that amount, some of which we will get back. And of what we don't some of it will not be spent for a long time yet. That changes on an almost daily basis, and does not equal the total that could possibly be spent.

But still, economics is a pseudo-science for people who aren't great at maths.

Or prefer wealth to knowledge, one or the other.

Yes, because economics doesn't use any fancy math, like DSGE models that you find in engineering fields, or fractal models, that you find in the major sciences, or chaos theory...

Economics is a social science, it is not a hard science, but it is by far not a pseudo science. And it by far uses very advanced mathematics. I regularly work within a Hierarchial Bayes Structure utilizing general method of moments concurrent with a monte carlo markov process.

If you do not know what those are, do not criticize economists for being dumb at math.

And Sorry Neo, but when the only metric that is discussed is the DOW (now 1/6th owned by Uncle Sam!), it is quite clear that other metrics are not being considered.

I know exactly what those are ;) I have a degree in pure maths and statistics.

I know exactly what those are ;) I have a degree in pure maths and statistics.

Great. Then don't criticize economists for being lousy at math. We aren't.
We are lousy at many things, but math ain't one.

OK, they are lousy at applied maths.

And Sorry Neo, but when the only metric that is discussed is the DOW (now 1/6th owned by Uncle Sam!), it is quite clear that other metrics are not being considered.

Unemployment and factory production isn't pretty either. Something tells me TI knows that. The DOW isn't the only metric being used, but for the sake of time and keyboard punching conservation, it is a pretty good indicator.

OK, they are lousy at applied maths.

What's your problem chap? Further, what's your basis other than just spouting opinion? You're entirely off topic anyways from this thread, so take your insults elsewhere

Unemployment and factory production isn't pretty either. Something tells me TI knows that. The DOW isn't the only metric being used, but for the sake of time and keyboard punching conservation, it is a pretty good indicator.

The DOW is a horrible metric, right now, because of the rules on how it is calculated and that the divisor is now off base. At least use the SP500 if you're going to cite a lone stock market indicator.

economists are good at math, they usually have to be. The problem is they believe the math correlates to the real world much more than it actually does.

Do you not think the global economic crisis may have been somehing to do with economists "applying" their "knowledge"?

Oh, and this...

The DOW is a horrible metric, right now, because of the rules on how it is calculated and that the divisor is now off base. At least use the SP500 if you're going to cite a lone stock market indicator.

I know the DOW is a poor indicator, but there seems to be a fairly consistent correlation between the DOW and the SP500 so why does it matter which people use?

Do you not think the global economic crisis may have been somehing to do with economists "applying" their "knowledge"?

Oh, and this...

Last I checked, the finance analysts on Wall Street are not economists.

I think the global crisis was caused by a misapplication of economic thought based on severe misunderstandings. There was much cheerleading about housing ownership going above its natural rate. That's when many economists started to sound the warning bell. But the admin didn't care, they were focused on the short-term.

People abused the rules and the guys in place to enforce rules were asleep at the switch. Quit trying to create a "boogeyman" that doesn't exist.

I know the DOW is a poor indicator, but there seems to be a fairly consistent correlation between the DOW and the SP500 so why does it matter which people use?

I think one shows a bit more thinking and sophistication. They're not perfectly correlated. Think about the different information sets.

JerichoHill, I thank you for your answer. But you still haven't answered my main question: Which is how are we going to get all the assets off banks' balance sheets????

There are three ways:
1) buy them off- prints 10 trillion more/ cause hyperinflation
2) Economy magically recovers due to stimulus, while bernanke pumps just enough money to hold off the bankruptcies.
3) Bankruptcy- hyper-deflation due to asset devaluation.

2) is pretty much out of the question. I think any sane economist would agree we will get nowhere close to 2006 conditions in a while. if 2) doesn't work out, it will evolve into 1).

so we are left with 1) and 3).

I advocate 3) because it is much less painful and it will be over quickly. It is also more market friendly. 1) would pretty much mean the bankruptcy of America, and 2) willl not work.

It appears you advocate 2). However, I would like to ask you. In 1970's we pumped way LESS liquidity into our system and we ended up with nasty stagflation, 20% inflation. This time, how do you propose to do a better job, considering the Federal Reserve's utter incompetence in this area.
If we had 20% inflation the last time around, what will we have this time? 40%? 50%? 60%? also add to the destruction of the dollar after countries ditch it. THat is a formula for hyperinflation.

Also, regarding Federal Reserve's injections of liquidity, you are aware that eventually we will spend even more on these programs, as those figures were only the first round of bailouts. Add 2-3 trillion to the end, and 4-5 trillion to come(if bad bank goes through) and the cost will exceed 10 trillion in any case.

You write about "getting money back". Well guess what. I shorted C when the gov pumped money into it at $10 it is now $1.80. I guess there's no money there anymore.
Similar story to each bank.

Even if the figures were to take a 30% haircut each, it would still be around 5 trillion plus latest round of bailouts, that figure would easily exceed 10 trillion by the end of this crisis.

Ya, regarding to my portfolio I regard it a success considering i was short selling financials and financials rose 34% this week, the biggest pump in history, and a rally based on lies.
Next week I will get my just rewards.

Speaking of which, do you think that hyper-inflation is worse or hyper-deflation. I tend to regard deflation as better as it rewards the banks who have sane business methods, as well as rewarding those who actually SAVED. hyperinflation simply wipes out the liquid wealth of the country- not like we have many left anyways.

At this point, considering number of trading days after the high, unemployment and factory production are just as bad, if not worse than the Great Depression. Remember unemployment rose to only 9% in 1930 but jumped to 30% in 1931. If we use 2007 as 1929, we would be at early 1931, and the TRUE unemployment rate(which now doesn't include people not looking for work, welfare, etc...) would be 14.8%!!! US Factory production has been falling 9%. I watch this figures every day as I trade.

Also, remember, in the Great Depression we didn't have this "working group on financial markets" who pumps it up every day. Even with THAT we are now down more than in the great depression. That is a very bad sign.

Which is how are we going to get all the assets off banks' balance sheets????

There are three ways:
1) buy them off- prints 10 trillion more/ cause hyperinflation
2) Economy magically recovers due to stimulus, while bernanke pumps just enough money to hold off the bankruptcies.
3) Bankruptcy- hyper-deflation due to asset devaluation.

2) won't happen 1) will be tried and fail when treasury bonds
become perceived as worthless by the Chinese and others
and then 3) will occur anyhow.

What was of course required was 3) followed by 2).

The moral failure to let the realy worst banks etc go bankrupt,
prevents a resuscitation by stimulating via the better banks.

If we had a sever deflation, pretty much every loan in the country that has not already gone bad would go bad at that point. And that would complete the destruction of the financial services industry.

If we had a sever deflation, pretty much every loan in the country that has not already gone bad would go bad at that point. And that would complete the destruction of the financial services industry.

If we have hyperinflation, we will have not only that but also the destruction of our currency, as well as the loss of foreign investors of any faith in our "financial system" whatsoever. All the liquid wealth of this country will be wiped out.

Perhaps, but inflation is much, much easier to contain than deflation. Contrast Volker's success in 1981 with Japan's 'lost decade'. I'd rather see inflationary pressures than deflationary pressures.

Is there any particular reason you prefer U6 over U3 in the unemployment statistics?

Top Bottom