Ancient Greece RPG Campaign?

knowing a good bit about theros (played a lot of mtg back in the day, and that block was around when i played the game quite a bit), it pretty much solves most of your "i need to name things that sound greek while not being a carbon copy of ancient greece" problems. the setting has a good few bits of compelling details, too, that are inspired by ancient greece while not quite being it. like, literally the only issue with the theros worldbook as a setting is that you get it without the cool underworld stuff in theros: beyond death, the return set. (the dnd theros book was made before beyond death was released.) in addition, the latter setting has scarce details on it since it was released during a time where magic creative was basically sidelined for a few years to do nothing because of some massive blunders, it was a big thing and all. of course, irrelevant to us. as a greek-mythology-inspired underworld, it has some good ideas and some lovely art though. here's a wiki page on that set

here's a scryfall search (scryfall is an mtg card search site) for all cards printed in the theros sets; good to look over for inspiration and maybe for snatching some art. there are a few other cards that are of theros characters, concepts, etc, but were printed outside the theros sets, such as these guys, who were originally introduced in OG theros through this lovely card.

no atlanteans tho afaik

hope this helps at all
That helps if it was 5E I woukd just run Theros probably. I may use their pantheon. Not familiar with the MtG set stopped playing about 2011.

I'm using the Mystic Odyssey of Theros book and the old Age of Heroes book for 2E AD&D. Also have the 2E rules for things like bronze weapons.

They'll have steel/iron but ancient weapons found will be bronze. Things like full plate can't be bought but may be found in Atlantean ruins.

Atlantis will gave a higher tech level may include things like energy weapons.

I'll refluff old AD&D stuff. Expedition to the Barrier peaks won't be a crashed UFO but Atlantean technology.
A lot of 2nd edition bronze rules are kind of silly, -1 hit and damage or similar. If everything is basically bronze then just normalize it for bronze at +0. You can have steel be like, considered defacto magical, and pig iron being cheap and weaker stuff industrious monsters use, failing against the beauty, hardness, and sharpness of bronze.

A lot of 2nd edition bronze rules are kind of silly, -1 hit and damage or similar. If everything is basically bronze then just normalize it for bronze at +0. You can have steel be like, considered defacto magical, and pig iron being cheap and weaker stuff industrious monsters use, failing against the beauty, hardness, and sharpness of bronze.

It's nit really worth the extra book keeping for me. I would only use it if bronze weapons went up against steel armor.

-1 damage maybe videos I've seen they don't cut as deep. -1 to hit vs steel maybe idk.

Yeah that's what I'm saying. If you're going to have a bronze age campaign but all the rules penalize bronze then change the rules.

So I'm thinking of starting a Ancient Greece inspired campaign for an OSR game Castles and Crusades. It's a d20 D&D game inspired by 1E D&D. Old-school basically.

(…)

Thoughts basic idea? Any creative ideas?

Run it here on the CFC,
so we can all play ?

Last edited:
Yeah that's what I'm saying. If you're going to have a bronze age campaign but all the rules penalize bronze then change the rules.

It's not a bronze age game though. That's more Mycenean.

My games more 430ish BC.

It's not a bronze age game though. That's more Mycenean.

My games more 430ish BC.
Ok whatever the point is moot either way, d&d is obviously suited for a swords/spears/axes/bows + armor game with fantasy elements and monsters.

Ok whatever the point is moot either way, d&d is obviously suited for a swords/spears/axes/bows + armor game with fantasy elements and monsters.

Yup I could do an bronze age or stone age game if I really wanted to.

Mostly it's just crappier weapons and armor.

pig iron being cheap and weaker stuff industrious monsters use, failing against the beauty, hardness, and sharpness of bronze.

Speaking of bronze wasnt its overall hardness superior to Pig Iron ? It was just much heavier, less sharp and much more difficult to repair
Which is why there was a switch to Iron being superior metal

Speaking of bronze wasnt its overall hardness superior to Pig Iron ? It was just much heavier, less sharp and much more difficult to repair

Iron was superior because no tin required. Tin was expensive.

I've seen bronze swords don't cut as deep as equivalent steel sword.

The old string up a pig carcass test.

@Kyrihave you visted what was Phocis or Locris?

Last edited:
That’s correct that it had advantages, bronze was harder, and I thought also sharper, until better steels came along. And the other advantages you mention for older iron.

Name generators.

Some of the fantasy name generators might be appropriate. The Amazon name generator produces gibberish, but the Dryad & Pegasus name generators aren't bad.

Ah thanks that's great.

@Zardnaar
so it sounds like you know this, but:
historically, it took a long time for bronze to be actually worse than iron (that is, steel). bronze was sharper, harder, and stiffer than steel (the lack of flexibility was actually a downside and is why most bronze weapons were small; if they got bent (which larger weapons naturally do) they were very hard to straighten again, while steel just kind of and flutter around and bounce back.) as you noted, the change from bronze to steel was an economic one; after metalworking was able to smelt & deal with iron, iron was the superior option due to being much more plentiful than bronze. doesn't really matter that you deck out one soldier with good bronze stuff if you face an enemy with ten soldiers using iron stuff.
as such, rules about bronze getting -1 to attack rolls and such is kind of asinine and really depends on the period. it also really doesn't have any point in gameplay. like, you're playing in a fantasy world. how is this bronze stuff supposed to make you feel as a player, is what you should question yourself, not whether the bronze is supposed to be realistic. a point of verisimilitude is good, of course, but you're playing in a world where light armor has a point, where spears aren't as important as swords, with no real cavalry, with magic weapons, and with titans, dragons, and so on. just remove the debuff. it doesn't matter. rather, bronze weapons if used make your setting stick out and should be an exciting part of your game. i'd suggest that remaining bronze weapons are rare, and that older magic weapons & armor tend to be made of bronze. equivalent of achilles' spear should be made of bronze. that kind of stuff. it gives your world a lot of flavor, like, for players to engage with an ancient greek world, give them ancient greek stuff to be excited about, not ancient greek stuff that gives them -1 to attack rolls. special aspects of your setting should be the exciting parts.

btw i realized that a setting very much set in bronze tech and quite inspired by greek imagery is tyranny by obsidian. of course the greek inspiration isn't as pronounced as theros, but it's there in bits and pieces. obsidian's worldbuilding is always pretty stellar - they're the guys who made fallout new vegas, the pillars of eternity games, and outer worlds, plus a number of very good releases that you've probably heard of. i never managed to finish tyranny (got distracted) but the world was solid and the bronze tech identity was present through and through.

Last edited:
@Zardnaar
so it sounds like you know this, but:
historically, it took a long time for bronze to be actually worse than iron (that is, steel). bronze was sharper, harder, and stiffer than steel (the lack of flexibility was actually a downside and is why most bronze weapons were small; if they got bent (which larger weapons naturally do) they were very hard to straighten again, while steel just kind of and flutter around and bounce back.) as you noted, the change from bronze to steel was an economic one; after metalworking was able to smelt & deal with iron, iron was the superior option due to being much more plentiful than bronze. doesn't really matter that you deck out one soldier with good bronze stuff if you face an enemy with ten soldiers using iron stuff.
as such, rules about bronze getting -1 to attack rolls and such is kind of asinine and really depends on the period. it also really doesn't have any point in gameplay. like, you're playing in a fantasy world. how is this bronze stuff supposed to make you feel as a player, is what you should question yourself, not whether the bronze is supposed to be realistic. a point of verisimilitude is good, of course, but you're playing in a world where light armor has a point, where spears aren't as important as swords, with no real cavalry, with magic weapons, and with titans, dragons, and so on. just remove the debuff. it doesn't matter. rather, bronze weapons if used make your setting stick out and should be an exciting part of your game. i'd suggest that remaining bronze weapons are rare, and that older magic weapons & armor tend to be made of bronze. equivalent of achilles' spear should be made of bronze. that kind of stuff. it gives your world a lot of flavor, like, for players to engage with an ancient greek world, give them ancient greek stuff to be excited about, not ancient greek stuff that gives them -1 to attack rolls. special aspects of your setting should be the exciting parts.

btw i realized that a setting very much set in bronze tech and quite inspired by greek imagery is tyranny by obsidian. of course the greek inspiration isn't as pronounced as theros, but it's there in bits and pieces. obsidian's worldbuilding is always pretty stellar - they're the guys who made fallout new vegas, the pillars of eternity games, and outer worlds, plus a number of very good releases that you've probably heard of. i never managed to finish tyranny (got distracted) but the world was solid and the bronze tech identity was present through and through.

I've been aware of Obsidian since KotOR 2.

Ancient suits will be bronze. They might bring heavy but bigger magical enchantment.

Really ancient suits (Atlantean) might be stuff like mithril full plate.

You cam buy stuff like that but can find it. Probably won't bother to much about mechanical differences between bronze and steel.

Orichaclum will be a special quality magical metal.

No. I haven't traveled much inside the country.

Ah rgr. Look like Delphi is fairly close as they crow flies to Thermopylae.

Still figuring out if I'm using earth map and historical names. Thinking over the exact relationship between the Tirans and gods.

Current Zeaus may not be the Atlantean Zeus. The Titans will be the villains but I might do a swerve eg Atlantis was destroyed by the gods wrath but maybe the gods died and were replaced by usurper and Atlantis was destroyed in the crossfire.

So somewhere in the dark ages things got lost and Olympian propaganda and myth replaced what happened.

Last edited:
Top Bottom