Ancient Japanese Unit pack 01/01/2010

Hush, J.B.. :) Read the topic carefully to see author know it. But there are some special things about it too.

Shiro, there was 3 issues with units & maybe they all have the same reason?

OK, #1 (you fixed it)
There's a small problem with the attack SE animation of the Yayoi Archer. When played it crashes Civ and even FLICster, but works fine in Civ3FlcEdit. Here is the file if ShiroKobbure or someone else wants to fix it.
#2 (not fixed it seems)
Just an additional info - Yayoi swordsman death animation is broken too.
#3 (not fixed it seems too)
The Yamato Spearman Death NW direction and the Yayoi swordsman Death W direction (the same as #2 - comment from me) are broken.
So here they are.

Shiro said:
I am working on the horseman now
It will be ancient times horseman or it'll be a medieval one? I (I know I'm not the only) wait it for a long time. :)
If you want to tell the truth, the only truth & nothing but the truth, so I will tell you - I need 4 units (dirty requester! :)):
1) ancient times horseman (power unit);
2) ancient times range cavalry (horse archer/horse javelinman/horse stone thrower?);
3) medieval horseman (Naginata cavalry as it was called in Shogun TW?) - power unit;
4) medieval horse crossbowman (range unit).

And a question. In the gunpowder era - were there horse riders in Japan? And if yes, do you have a strategic plan of making them? :)

Alright I'll try to fix them, are there any other issues?

You'll have to wait a few months for the Medieval Japanese units, Horses didn't come to Japan until about the iron age, so there wouldn't be any stone throwers. And the Japanese (or most East Asians) never used javelins. Crossbows were in Japan in ancient times, and were mostly for the lower class warriors, but dead out in the early medieval period probably because the Japanese long bow was much more reliable and could shoot arrows further.

So for this pack there will be:
Iron Age horseman probably axe or spear
Yamato era will get a spear and archer horsemen
Nara will get a sword and archer horseman

the later Medieval pack will probably be
Early Medieval spear and archer horseman
High Medieval spear and archer horseman

the Naginata is a spear/glave

Horsemen were in Japan until WW2, I might make a late medieval horseman armed with a musket

Shiro, thanks a lot to you for a very informative reply! :)
You'll have to wait a few months for the Medieval Japanese units
All the things come to the one who knows how to wait (a proverb, I don't know how to translate into English correctly).
there wouldn't be any stone throwers
It was a joke. :) Sandris created horse stone thrower for ancient Germany, that's why I asked. And this is a good example of creativity and interesting variation. :)
never used javelins
And Greeks almost didn't use archers - only peltasts... :))) Different cultures and war tactics.
the Japanese long bow was much more reliable and could shoot arrows further.
OK, thank you for info! I will use a longbowman.
Iron Age horseman probably axe or spear
An axe. :) Because of variety & creativity :)))?
I might make a late medieval horseman armed with a musket
It would be great. I personally (and I believe not just I) would be very appreciated.
Horsemen were in Japan until WW2
So is there a possibility of making (if they were) of units like European Napoleonic era horsemen (dragoons, quirasiers)?

ShiroSo is there a possibility of making (if they were) of units like European Napoleonic era horsemen (dragoons, quirasiers)?
From the 17th to mid 19th century Japan closed its borders, so military technology did not advance and there was no internal wars. But I might make some semi or non historical Japanese units to fill in the gap.

well i would like to ask wolfshade how did the greeks defend fortresses before the gastraphetes if not with archers????

They use Peltast,that mean trowing spears. Also ancient Greeks battlegrounds were often field battles with phalanx against phalanx rather then siege.

I needed like this for a personal mod I am attempting to do. Thank you for the great effort invested.

Jerry'sGoldfish, I read the words from Shiro & it reminded me some thing from Macedonian Greece:
Shiro said:
Crossbows were in Japan in ancient times, and were mostly for the lower class warriors, but dead out in the early medieval period probably because the Japanese long bow was much more reliable and could shoot arrows further.
So it reminded me that in Macedonians (and Greek) army peltasts counted as more respectable warriors than archers. :) And that's what I meant. But they, of course, used archers too when there was no other way.
Jerry'sGoldfish said:
nexxo, my friend read more about the embrasures during pre macedonian times.
Destructive way of discussion. You would tell us about some basics if you see the lack of knowledge, instead of simple "rtfm". It does work much better - it's a constructive way. But let's stop it for now, it's a kind of off-topic - the main idea is "Ancient Japanese Units". ;)

Nara Swordsman Death has the same problem in W direction. :cry:

The link to the fixed Yayoi archer animations is broken.

I was in contact with Shiro, and he(?) said to ask for the files here because he no longer has the files.

Anyone want to share?

I have the folder, with a WinRAR "Archer fixed attack" . I wouldn't know how to post it. I know you can get this exact folder from inside the mod "Worldwide v2.4". I'm sure someone will post this for you.

That's a very nice pack, and I especially like the "Reserved".
Can we have an idea of what you will put in this "Reserved" part?
Will you add cavalry for these periods?
Will you add other periods?

Also, is it possible to have some range unit for the Yamataikoku periods, and some kind of warrior with club / mace / axe for the Jomon?

Steph has a keen eyesight...

Nara Swordsman Death has the same problem in W direction. :cry:
Sorry for the thread Necro, but I fixed it (I think; further testing does not produce the errors).

Please see attached.

Attachments

• Nara Swordsman Death Fix.zip
    75.1 KB · Views: 77
Top Bottom