AND Mega Civ Pack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just my 2 cents.

Persia and Parthia weren't same civs ... while Sassanids was one of ruling dynasties of Persia (which we already have), not separate civ.

Also - Anglo-Saxons - there wasn't such civ for my knowledge, and, again we already have England, which covers

And Seljuks = Ottomans (very same civ, just different timeframes).

Maybe that's my personal feeling, but i think term "civilization" regards something larger and more unique then just territory or power group within existing state at any timefame. I hated when using civ megapack i came across both USSR and Russia or Great Britain and England in my games for example.

Then by that logic most of those American and African civs should be ditched, because they are not real civs, they had no writing or a real state. Seleucids and Baktra too because they were only greek kingdoms in Persia and central Asia. Timurids were also Turkic but they are in this megapack.

They are all included because:
A) There is no way in Civ 4 to transform one civ into another while playing
and
B) Civ is all about writing your own history and this megapack is all about adding more variety.

And Seljuks are not the same as ottomans, similar, but not the same. It's like comparing English with early USA americans. Anglo-Saxons influenced modern English people a lot and they dominated England for almost 500 years. Sassanids were more Persian than Parthians(who were nomads that came from the steppes of central Asia) and they were a major world power for 400 years.

I would like to see Mughals too, cause they ruled most of India for 200 years and were major power in their glory days. Also they were and interesting mixture of various religions and cultures. But unfortunately their civ was made 3 years ago for Warlords.

I am using the LH in there for Persia, which I view as Achaemenid, Sassandid, Safavid and Qajar, which is roughly native rule (Yes, I am adding Iran, but I will explain later), although each of those periods is different. Adding the Sassanids, would cause me to rename the "Persian Civ" to "Achaemenid Civ" and would force me to add the Safavid and Qajars, keeping in mind that no one has made the latter two, and missing art is the biggest roadblock, not to mention the number of redundant city names. I would be happy to add Safavid and Qajar LHs to Persia, the issue is that either satisfactory art does not exist, in use for the ability to add another civ, or I am keeping in reserve to add another civ; the latter excuse only having an impact during the early-middle part of this project.

Keep in mind that I am adding the Seleukids, Baktrians, Parthians, Scythians, and Timurids, which should represent parts of Persia during other points in history. Iran is being added mainly for cosmetic reasons, namely for city names. It would bother me that Khomeini would found Persepolis rather than Tehran. Persia, is going to have to be one of the "clunky" civs included such as India, Polynesia, Anishnaabek, Holy Roman Empire, Dinnehih, Arabia, etc. for reasons of programming.

There are plenty of medieval Europe LHs I have yet to use, so sure. Should be fun since I am also adding Harald Hardrada for the Vikings (Hopefully there will be no complaints about redundancy since there will be Vikings, Denmark, Sweden, and Norway).

Although I am using the LH art provided in there for Murad Bey of Egypt, there are still enough steppe and middle eastern LHs I am not using, which means adding them is no problem. I am surprised Civ Gold did not have them in it since there is an "Ottoman" Civ, compared to a "Turkish" Civ, Friaxis really through the door open for adding many different Turkish civs, yet they dropped the ball by having the Native American civ use only Sioux city names. Besides, they will be necessary if someone wants to convert the 1000AD scenario provided in BtS for AND.

Kind of a preemptive comment on the Mughals, they are kind of split between Timurids and Indians. Babur was included with the Timurids when I converted that module, and I like Akbar as an Indian leader since his lasting legacy was religious tolerance (just don't tell a Hindu Nationalist that :mischief:). I know it far from perfect, but it close enough, which is how I was able to convince myself on converting Mycaene, Minoa, and Troy. Now, the Indian-Subcontinent Civ I would like to see more is the Maratha Confederacy; again, I must plead lack of art.

With all that said, the Anglo-Saxons and Seljuks will be added to my To Do List after I finish with Norway (had to add it from scratch, really surprising since art exists, just never put together). Finishing Norway will help me de-clutter files. I would like to add that I want to added enough Civs and LHs for people to be comfortable making scenarios for different periods in history.

Thanks for your informative response.

Will you be adding Kim Jong-il for the Korea ? His leaderhead was made, Civ Gold has him and he would be a great addition to Korea. You already have Putin as a modern leader, so I don't see any problems for Kim to be in this pack.

Will you be adding Kim Jong-il for the Korea ? His leaderhead was made, Civ Gold has him and he would be a great addition to Korea. You already have Putin as a modern leader, so I don't see any problems for Kim to be in this pack.

I've always thought that there should be 3 Koreas. Korea for before the Korean war, and then North and South Korea for during and after it. Never made much sense to me to have Kim Jon-il have control over all of Korea. Though it is probably pointless to add in since it would be adding 2 other civs that are basically the same.

I've always thought that there should be 3 Koreas. Korea for before the Korean war, and then North and South Korea for during and after it. Never made much sense to me to have Kim Jon-il have control over all of Korea. Though it is probably pointless to add in since it would be adding 2 other civs that are basically the same.

Yeah, but suppose Korea get unified in near future?

I also added Singh (Current PM of India) as a modern leader just so everybody knows, and I am adding the Dalai Lama as the secondary Tibet LH, also. Some other Civs have fairly topical LHs though.

Personally, I do not think Kim is more of a joke LH, especially since there are other Korean LHs (Kim Il Sung, Park Chung Hee) which have been requested, but never released by the graphics forum (in their defense, they have released some other very good, needed LHs). I think Putin and Singh have done enough to earn a place, where as Kim is just known because he is a eccentric totalitarian leader. Yes, I am adding Ahmadinejad for Iran, but I just wanted to have a third LH for it, and I will remove him unless he does something more than rant and rave in real life and/or someone makes Reza Shah. I also do not plan Dubya or Obama, for pretty obvious reasons, and I would like to not start a debate about those two since it will cause this thread to go OT.

so any estimated ETA on this mod? dont mean to rush you, I know it's alot of work and better to have it done properly than have it sooner, just curious.

so any estimated ETA on this mod? dont mean to rush you, I know it's alot of work and better to have it done properly than have it sooner, just curious.

Still on for mid-October; it helps that Civ5 has stopped the art forum for a while (I have to give them credit for a lot, and I criticize them too much for some of the stuff they have not done). The civ request earlier cost me a couple of days, but it was worth it. On that subject, I am nearly done with the Mapuche, which means that I will be finished with adding new content by Friday.

I have to admit that my process is inefficient since I started this project under 1.74, which is what I am using to check filepaths and few other things, then I have to convert to 1.75. At least that means I will have an older version just in case.

I doubt that Kim Jong-il would be the one to unify them.

Only reason why Korea is divided in the first place is because of western politics imposed by russia, USA and europe. If one of these day's they were to say "screw this, we are brothers and sisters from the same blood line, culture and heritage and we don't need the west telling us what to do." They'd free themselves of the policies which divide and conquer them...of course the earlier three mentioned before would not like that at all.

Yeah, but suppose Korea get unified in near future?

When the "united nations" collapses...and NATO is at it's lowest strength, you can more than bet Korea will be united once again. But for that to happen...USA must cease to "exist". ;)

CoC is already obsolete. However, if Hashim(sp?) ever return and update it, it doesn't matter because Generalstaff here has his methods so CoC and this pack are two different monsters :D.

Great. I will wait for this mod to be released then. I'm having troubles figuring out how CoC is supposed to work but that should not matter if I ca get this.

It appears I lied earlier. The BUC included 1.75 is very minor, and easily included, what I should have wrote earlier is that I am not the one dealing with any expanded BUC compatibility. I will do a double check just in case, which is good since I have to make sure I do not overlook any of the BRoM changes.

I found a major issue during testing involving Pak'ed files. I would like to Pak files for the official release since it reduces load times, so if anyone has some tips, I am all ears. The issue I am having is likely due to the volume of files needing to be Pak'ed (over 2 gigs); if I use a smaller number of Pak of higher volume, roughly 10% of graphics files do not load, but when I use a large number of Pak files of low volume, map graphics fail to load and I have graphics card issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom