And now for a thread NOT about A Game of Thrones. Let's talk about WorldBuilder.

I too suffer from a WB addiction, mainly since I hate being on an island, makes the game so boring until I can get ocean ships (aka, 300 turns on Realistic), that and late game when I almost destroy a rival I give him a some extra land... maybe an island (more people to slaughter if they really annoyed me.) However to break my addiction, every time I WB I lower the diplomatic rating of me by a few points in every nation. Makes me think twice to WB when monty is my neighbour.

I often use WB when going for a specific game map setup. Hemispheres\standard\4 continents normally makes 4 lands with 2 AI each, but once in a while it makes an imbalanced game with 3 on one continent and one isolated.

Other than that I use it when testing mods and mod math. I used it a lot to WB in great generals when I was testing my XP\Level mod.

I never use WB. Although I have never played golf, I stick to the golfer's "play it as it lays" rule!

At times like this, I get the impression that a lot of people in here take Civ waaay too seriously. :rolleyes:

If you want to use Worldbuilder - to make the game easier, harder, or more interesting - go for it. Don't listen to the zealots who'd have you believe that their way is the only way to play the game. Play the game you want to.

Myself, I don't think I've played an unmodified game of Civ4 in ages. I've played on Deity after giving myself the Deity AI starting units and techs via WB, and I've modified maps to put myself in an isolated chain of tiny islands to play 'catch-up'. I've messed with happy caps on different levels and changed barbarian levels to make the game harder. I find all that more entertaining than working to beat Emperor. Bottom line: I play Civ for fun - if I wanted more work, I'd take a second paying job.

Doesn't that also lock out any mods you're using?

Not necessarily. If you start the game in a mod and use the locked assets, then you play the entire game with the modded files. Just don't change any of the modded files/update the mod while playing your game.

Same thing with custom assets.

EDIT: I use it for debugging purposes while modding, etc. Standard stuff.

I like what 6K man had to say two posts up.
There has been many debates about things like this, and it boils down to if you are a gaming purist, a role player, or something in-between.
the only thing I can add to what 6K said, is if you still have a problem with separating your creative side from your "must prove I have skill at playing" side, go whole hawg, open a map from scratch in worldbuilder and build your own fantasy worlds and scenarios, and then play "loyally" from those scenarios....by making your worldbuilding addiction unchecked, but "managed" in certain spheres, it might help you manage it better, or feel less "guilty" about it.

I use it two ways.

One is an attempt at creating a scenario.

The other is educational. For example, when I was trying to learn "Broken Star", my first couple games were frustrating. So, I resigned from a game, then using autosave and Worldbuilder, I changed the composition of my stack and tried to refight the battle. I found a better mix, and my next game was competitive.

I agree with 6K. A person's game is their game and they should play the way that they want to. I don't use WB during a real game because it would make the game less fun for me.

If someone else wants to play the game inebriated, suspended naked from the ceiling, and wrapped in plastic wrap, then that is their game. Who are we to judge?

We have different reasons for using or not using WB. I think that there have been a number of good points raised in the thread, both pro and con, but in the end it's a personal choice.

I thought it was "effing munchkin powergamer", but maybe that's just the tabletop crowd.

You're right, that is the tabletop crowd. Played tabletops myself, but computer games are way more interessting.

I agree with 6K. A person's game is their game and they should play the way that they want to. I don't use WB during a real game because it would make the game less fun for me.

If someone else wants to play the game inebriated, suspended naked from the ceiling, and wrapped in plastic wrap, then that is their game. Who are we to judge?

We have different reasons for using or not using WB. I think that there have been a number of good points raised in the thread, both pro and con, but in the end it's a personal choice.

Using Worldbuilder is still cheating onnesself, therefor, lame. I also don't have anything against people using it, besides, I find them lame :D . And just to say, I was one of the worst cheaters myself, did I find myself lame at that time? Yes, I knew it, and that's what the OP is stating. One simply has to come over it, and easiest way is by playing for HoF.

Right, but the OP clearly stated he wants to get rid of his WB addiction...
Yup. You're correct. My comment was more of a general semi agreement with 6K in that we all have different game styles and little "rules" of our own. We usually have no real business telling someone else how to play. In this case, the OP has asked for some input on how to beat his WB addiction, and there have been some good comments on the use (or non use) of WB and the reasons why, so I have no problem telling him why I don't use it.

One of the best things about this community is that we often do our best to help someone with a game problem. My comment was in regard to those that stridently maintain that someone must play a certain way, with absolute rules. That only applies to HOF games. :)

I was hopelessly addicted to WB. I couldnt stop using it in every game, even if it meant just moving a resource from one tile to another to make it uable, I'd end up cheating the entire map - move one resource, thats nice, but wait now I can move that one too, and then that one, and hmmm, lets add another over here, and there, and what about a river, and changing every city location to a plains hill etc etc etc.

Then I discovered lock modified assets, and I've never switched it off since except for when I want to look at map scripts.

I still cant get over my reloading addiction though, but mainly because I can stop making so many mistakes.

My comment was in regard to those that stridently maintain that someone must play a certain way, with absolute rules. That only applies to HOF games. :)

Actually HoF games allow a lot of freedom to play however you want, you simply have to not cheat, thats all. You can still play on most map settings with any leader, and they are far less strict then what I've seen expected by some player's requirements on this forum.

I still cant get over my reloading addiction though, but mainly because I can stop making so many mistakes.
Me too! OMG, I'm glad I'm not alone. :lol::lol:

Use the "Lock Modified Assets" and that will definitely stop you from using World Builder.

This is what the OP wants. Next time you start a game, go to Custom and check this box as an option. It takes away the worldbuilder option in the menu, so you can't use it.
Also, go on the difficulty level that's challenging for you but not impossible. Have fun! :)

Using Worldbuilder is still cheating onnesself, therefor, lame. I also don't have anything against people using it, besides, I find them lame :D . And just to say, I was one of the worst cheaters myself, did I find myself lame at that time? Yes, I knew it, and that's what the OP is stating. One simply has to come over it, and easiest way is by playing for HoF.

Says the guy who cooks 2000 maps a week. :rolleyes:

GAFL.

They say control freaks can't relinqish contol of anything... unfortunately if you are incapable or inept at either securing or maintaining control than it seems (to me) like said c-freak is really just a baby or high school drama queen... I think I read somewhere that the greastest display of power was to forfeit it for the greater good. I do supppse better natural gameplay ability would benefit all but the most casual of gamers...

Top Bottom