Anno Domini Classic

I am not clear on the patch. It extracted to a folder of its own. Is it a standalone scenario or a patch? I expected it togo over the Art and Text fron Anno. Are we suppose to copy the classic over and give a the alt its own. Is the new biq for Dawn only?

Its late so I will give it a rest for now.

Screenshot!

Yes, it is from Different Dawn, but it does give one an idea of what a Classic screenshot would look like.

I present a DD instead of a Classic screenshot because my copy of Classic won't open, that because my harddrive needs defragging.

Attachments

• DD Spartans.jpg
    DD Spartans.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 414
I am not clear on the patch. It extracted to a folder of its own. Is it a standalone scenario or a patch? I expected it togo over the Art and Text fron Anno. Are we suppose to copy the classic over and give a the alt its own. Is the new biq for Dawn only?

Its late so I will give it a rest for now.

You just need to move the files from that folder so that they overwrite the files in the main download - so move the "scenarios" folder in the patch to CivIII/Conquests.

As for screenshots, you're right, there should be some; at the time of uploading in 2008, there had been three preview threads so that's why I think it got overlooked!!

A little error with the patch upload has meant that the wrong units32.pcx file was in there without the "A different dawn" images in it. Sorry about that; I have amended the download (and also made it so that it extracts straight to "scenarios" as per a recent comment).

So...you can either re-download it and re-install it, or put the units32.pcx file attached to this post in CivilizationIII/Conquests/Scenarios/Anno Domini Classic/Art/Units, copying over the existing file.

This error only affects "A different dawn" gameplay.

There have been some preview images put on the front page of this thread as suggested ;).

Attachments

• units_32.pcx
    299.4 KB · Views: 200
A little error with the patch upload has meant that the wrong units32.pcx file was in there without the "A different dawn" images in it. Sorry about that; I have amended the download (and also made it so that it extracts straight to "scenarios" as per a recent comment).

So...you can either re-download it and re-install it, or put the units32.pcx file attached to this post in CivilizationIII/Conquests/Scenarios/Anno Domini Classic/Art/Units, copying over the existing file.

This error only affects "A different dawn" gameplay.

There have been some preview images put on the front page of this thread as suggested ;).

Thank you. Turns out I need to download AD Classic mod again because the PediaIcon got corrupted somehow. Seems I need to get a new version of TechTool Pro, because the version I'm now using has limitations. I shall soon be posting a few screenshots of my own.

Cool, I was going to mention that if any threads on the scenaro were know that the links be add. As it was, no way to tell, if one would find it interesting or not. Needed some screen shot or reports or even pix of units.

I down loaded the replacement. It had the same name as the original scenario, so I had to rename it. I unzip and start the game and get AF_all.pcx not found.

Looking at the current art folder for leaders I see it only has one entry. Looking at the original it has a number of them, so a replacement, rather than an overlay took place. Will have to look at this to see what I need to do, but I only see one BIQ for classic and none for Dawn.

Is that the way it should be? Is Dawn just a leader change?

I down loaded the replacement. It had the same name as the original scenario, so I had to rename it. I unzip and start the game and get AF_all.pcx not found.

Looking at the current art folder for leaders I see it only has one entry. Looking at the original it has a number of them, so a replacement, rather than an overlay took place. Will have to look at this to see what I need t do, but I only see one BIQ for classic and none for Dawn.

Is that the way it should be? Is Dawn just a leader change?

I don't know why you get AF_all.pcx not found - are you playing on a Mac or a PC? I've been told here that they work in different ways in terms of copying files.

There isn't a BIQ for "A different dawn" in the patch as it didn't need to be updated.

PC, the reason I get the msg is after unzipping the patch, it replaced the original one with just one entry. It went from 5xxMB to next to nothing. I was going to copy the patch files manually, but they seem to be the same as the unpatched one. The both have the same creation dates.

The BIQ in the patch is the same as the original one comparing the dates, so I would guess there was no need for it in the patch. Actually I would suspect the patch may not be what you intended. Download it to see, if it is the true patch.

I found the real cause. It was that the patch from 2/26 install had made a folder that was superceding the full one. I deleted it and it comes up fine.

For my part the re-install went smoothly. As soon as I'm done checking up on my subscriptions at this forum I'll be starting a new game. May even post a thread in the story forum.

Addendum: Topic initiated

Maybe I am all alone, but it is not so easy for me to spot those BG tiles. Not sure if it would be considered bad taste, but any chance you could incorporate mood popheads? Contented faces are also hard to distinguish for me.

I just am spoiled by the easy glance to see unhappy faces and tell, if I have to take action. I had another missing file, but I think I should be ok now. Some of the new patched changes were not in my scenario. I went ahead and copied them over by hand.

How does the Diff Dawn get invoked? We only have one BIQ, so I would suspect you are always have it or never have it?

One more thing for me the science tree is shaded so it is not easy to tell what is what. I selected a tech and it said I already knew it. Looking at the tree I see very lightly shaded techs (far down the tree), slightly more colored shades (these I have learned), yellowish brown shade and green (currently working).

I guess I will get the hang of them, but why so obtuse on the shading?

Maybe I am all alone, but it is not so easy for me to spot those BG tiles. Not sure if it would be considered bad taste, but any chance you could incorporate mood popheads? Contented faces are also hard to distinguish for me.

I just am spoiled by the easy glance to see unhappy faces and tell, if I have to take action. I had another missing file, but I think I should be ok now. Some of the new patched changes were not in my scenario. I went ahead and copied them over by hand.
I won't be incorporating mood popheads into the mod - but there's nothing stopping you from modding your version of Anno Domini.

How does the Diff Dawn get invoked? We only have one BIQ, so I would suspect you are always have it or never have it?
You need to download full "A different dawn" expansion which has the BIQ amongst other files. The link to the thread is in the first post of this one.

One more thing for me the science tree is shaded so it is not easy to tell what is what. I selected a tech and it said I already knew it. Looking at the tree I see very lightly shaded techs (far down the tree), slightly more colored shades (these I have learned), yellowish brown shade and green (currently working).

I guess I will get the hang of them, but why so obtuse on the shading?
The tech tree graphics were "stolen" from another mod - the Lord of the Rings one I believe - but it was about two or three years ago; so I can't answer that one!

Hey there! Interesting mod although I had play to get used to the new graphics.

I'm currently trying to play on monarch (fourth diff setting from left) and I'm crushed by egyptian UU rush everytime on pangae 60% water maps. Nomads take 3 pop to build and usually I can't grab much land before these Anubis knights arrive. If I focus only on spears I doubt I will get more than 6 - 8 cities :(

Btw, on Conquests I play on emperor-demigod usually so I guess there are some special tactics required for good expanding. Settler factories aren't as good and pop rushing nomads don't work good either :(

... so I guess there are some special tactics required for good expanding. ...
It's important to read the 'pedia. Every civ has it's own special features beyond the UU. For example, it's almost impossible to do well as Maurya if you don't use the border fortifications workers can build.

Hey there! Interesting mod although I had play to get used to the new graphics.

I'm currently trying to play on monarch (fourth diff setting from left) and I'm crushed by egyptian UU rush everytime on pangae 60% water maps. Nomads take 3 pop to build and usually I can't grab much land before these Anubis knights arrive. If I focus only on spears I doubt I will get more than 6 - 8 cities :(

Btw, on Conquests I play on emperor-demigod usually so I guess there are some special tactics required for good expanding. Settler factories aren't as good and pop rushing nomads don't work good either :(

Don't expand so fast. The 3 pop cost was instituted to slow down expansion. Instead, focus on tech that boost production and the military. You want cities that have a good population and can produce fast. That means production and developing the countryside around.

Staying on good terms with the neighbors helps too.

I don't know the mod all that well either, but what I have learned is that you want to shift your focus to things you may not have considered before thanks to the higher cost of settlers. That changes the style of play in fundamental ways.

Thanks for the advices :) I noticed that I can build spearman-nomad-axeman-nomad instead of nomad-nomad and it went better. Also I set up a worker factory in 2nd or 3rd city for better growth.

Just tried another game with Icenia and got semi-lucky. Had lots of land to settle and relatively peaceful neighbours. Instead of beelining for tribal gov researched irrigation and mining then bought the gov. Managed to live peacefully till 2nd era when I can build chariots and take over my continents.

The bad news - Egypt was on 2nd continent and by 2nd era has conquered it all :/
Looks like I should specify rivals and make sure there is no Egypt.

Glad you're enjoying the mod, dusters. The combination of the three population requirement for nomads and the fact you can't automatically irrigate does make the population boom a little trickier...but don't forget that it's the same for your computer opponents! There are some nasty neighbours knocking about, such as the Huns, so you need to decide what your priorities are. I wanted to make sure that this mod involved a number of choices and not giving much automatically at the start does make your planning more important.

Egypt are definately a tough foe...they are the builders of Anno Domini, and once they've established themselves, they're difficult to overpower. Strike early if they're next door, is my advice.

For my part, I've been playing as the Marcomanni in "A different dawn" and noticed a little error....their ability to be able to irrigate without fresh water wasn't switched on. It was easy enough to amend this, so there's an updated BIQ in the first post and the patch has also been updated.

There are also seven new images on the first page...I think there's plenty there now to attract some interest.

The next stage for me is to finalise the two BIQs we have. There's a need for some 'pedia updates, which I will sort out. However, I was also thinking about ditching the smelter, as I'm finding building barracks in era one is hardly worth it. There will be a couple of cosmetic changes I'd like to make to how I've set things up in the BIQ which won't alter gameplay, but will make it a little easier for me to add some other ideas I have for other BIQs. There are some new units, principly by Sandris, which have come out recently, so I'll update the units roster.

There are a couple of ideas I have for other BIQs that I would like to work on to make the mod more varied and interesting. The first is "Anno Domini: A new world" in which some MesoAmerican civs are added. This is one of the reasons I was looking at making the cosmetic changes with the BIQ, so that there was no horsemanship-type techs in their tech tree. The MesoAmericans would take full advantage of RedAlerts recent buildings of course; my idea is that they won't have mounted units in the first three eras (as a disadvantage) but their units will all come with stealth, their happiness buildings will come maintainance-free and can culture-boost with sacrificing enslaved units. Naturally, they will not be able to win the "New World" victory that European civs can win nor the "Silk Road" victory. One of the fourth era techs could be something like "European contact" where mounted troops finally come in for them. The other idea I have, but it will take a lot of research methinks, is "Anno Domini: Obscurities," where the civs to select from are not as well known as the usually-played civs. I don't know how popular this would be and would need to equate the hours of toil against how well it would be received.

What I think I'll do then is update the various pedia things, take out smelting, introduce the MesoAmericans plus anything else I've mentioned. However, I thought that rather than doing patches, updates, new files to add to old ones, I'd actually re-upload the whole lot so that it's all in one download - Classic, Different Dawn and New World. It does mean people have to download the whole thing again, but I'm sure that it's better than having about eight different files to piece together.

So, what do you think?

Top Bottom