Another "Help a n00b with his first prince game topic"

BakingTheArt

His Evening Coat
Because there aren't enough of these. >_>

Anyway, I'm usually a noble player, but lately I've been dominating. I figured it was time to go up a level, but Prince sounds scary. So, I guess it would be a lot easier with the hive mind helping me, right?

Also, I'm playing Warlords on a mac, so if it crashes and I have to reload, it's not my fault. Just a heads up.

Without further ado, the settings.

Archipelago/Snaky Continents is my favorite mapscript. Much more interesting than taking over a potato-shaped continent. And, of course, my favorite leader, Hannibal. I hope I can get the GLH on this level...

I forgot to turn resource bubbles on, but there's clam and fish in there.

Begining thoughts: Perfect start for Hannibal. Coastal, two seafood, irrigated grassland rice, the works. The production is good, so I can get the Great Lighthouse ASAP. I'm thinking warrior 1SE, and if that doesn't reveal anything special, in place?

as far as i can see there can't really be anything worth it to spot which should be able to promote a move of the settler

1E is proberly better for spotting since 2E of the settler seems to look like a hill while 2E from Warrior looks like a small bay of water

I REALLY need to install blue marble. that looks great! anyway, settling in place would make a great capital for a financial leader. 8 coastal tiles is nothing to sneeze at. i would settle in place and try to get the collosus quickly, not sacrificing vital techs, obviously. 32 commerce before any modifiers will make some really nice tech, and the food means you can get a few scientists in the mix.

It's not Blue Marble. It's different mod, called "Improved Graphics for Civ 4". I believe it rips graphics off of Colonization. It's the most beautiful art set available, IMHO. I'm way too lazy to link it, but it should be on the first page of the graphics mods forum.

Anyway, round played, I'll get it up in a sec.

BakingTheArt,

Move your Warrior Southeast one. That looks like more water to the east. In my opinion, this is a horrible start due to the lack of production. Though you do have a lot of food, perhaps a quick route to Slavery is in order, Hannibal is Charismatic after all, lets put that happiness bonus to work!

Round 1 (4000 BC to 2210 BC) - Animals Can go to Hell

I started by moving my Warrior 1 SE.

Of course, this revealed a big fat nothing, so I settled in place. Looks like an amaizing Great People farm, amirite? I'm gonna want to move my capital to the rainforests to the south for a decent bureaucracy site, though. I even think I found the perfect place. More on that later.

I explored south first, towards the fertile rainforests. I found an unpopped hut, so I went straight for it. Did it provide gold? Precious technology? Even a map?

Oh shanpz.

That's fine. My build order was Work Boat -> Worker -> Warrior -> Work Boat -> Settler, so I had another Warrior about to pop out. It's all good, right?

I hate life.

Tech order was, if I remember correctly, Agriculture -> Bronze Working -> Animal Husbandry -> Sailing. Horses popped up near the capital, so I guess that makes up for my horrible luck with warriors, right? Right?

I stopped on the turn I built the settler to get some input. I tried my hand making a dotmap with the limited exploring I was able to do.

Red is settled first to get stone hooked up, then blue once iron working comes in. Blue lookes like an amazing commerce city, and Red is a decent production city. At least enough to pump out enough axes to take something better :devil:. Green and Yellow are filler, to be settled after there's nothing left to settle. Hopefully the borders will expand quick enough in Red + Carthage to fill the land out soon, because Yellow has almost zero production land. And almost all plains. :cry:

Here's the undefiled lay of the land.

And here's the 4000 BC save (Sorry, I forgot to use it in my first post) and the 2140 BC save (My computer actually crashed between 2110 and the next turn, so this is the nearest save I could get. I hate macs.)

Attachments

• Baking BC-4000.CivWarlordsSave
    64.8 KB · Views: 43
  • AutoSave_BC-2140.CivWarlordsSave
    101.7 KB · Views: 30
I suggest getting Myst for a monument before sailing. This capital is food rich, so +1 :) lets you work 1 more mine.

how about settle the yellow city (clam+2 Ivory) first, it can help with worker/settler prodcutions and gives you +1 :)

You can certainly go for GLH, but i recommand against at as you dont need it to win especially when you try to learn a new level.

A side question, but Stonehenge monuments disappear after Astronomy while hand-built ones do not. With the latter, does the charismatic :) still obsolete?

Just wondering if Stonehenge could actually be somewhat a negative for leaders like this.

As for the save itself, with no AI visible and no where to block off, I would also suggest the clam/elephant city, simply because it's the only place fully mapped thanks to your unlucky barbs. You can't really plan out cities with this little information. Also it's a bit early for a granary, expecially with so much food already. Your capital should instead be building military units to explore (chariots will be superb once you get them hooked up) so you can start mapping out the rest of your cities. I wouldn't recommend dot mapping yet, too little information and you could easily miss great resources.

The happiness from monuments obsoletes when they do; essentially Stonehenge is equally good or bad for everybody; everybody loses the culture, noone keeps happiness. There's an entirely seperate +1 happiness for being charismatic. (OH YEAH! - presumably you are Emperor Duffman.)

If you build real monuments they keep their culture (and eventually, their doubled culture.) It's a pretty piddling amount compared to real culturemongering buildings.

I'm kind of torn on SH. I don't get a lot of religions so great prophets don't bring in great profits. I hate building monuments, but on the other hand I hate them so much I often play Creative.

Red dot should be explored more first. It could at least go down 1 square if the 2 upper tiles are desert tiles.

Hi

Just a question about the dot map. Given Hanni's UB shouldnt more of those planned cities be on coast?

Kaytie

BakingTheArt,

Would you please use JPGs instead of PNGs? They're much smaller in file size, and as someone with a slower connection, it is taking me quite long to load this thread if the pictures haven't been cached.

I mis-typed above, everyone -keeps- the culture after monumental obsolescence. So for non Cha leaders you just can't build them anymore but they're unchanged (and they double when they become antique, like all culture structures.)

@KaytieKat
Probably, but I can't find many good coastal sites. For example, one of the cities I founded will become my production city. However, in order to catch some hills, stone, cows, and fish, it had to be one off the coast. Still, in a production city, it's worth sacrificing coastal for production, right?

@Kesshi
You're right. I can't do much about the one's I've posted already (Well, I can, and I might later, but I'm too lazy :p) but I'm getting the latest update's screenys re-uploaded as jpgs.

Round 2 (2210 BC - 925 BC)

I started by sending a warrior-settler part to the east, towards the stone. I know most people were advocating the dumbos-grassland-clam city first, I had a hunch. So, I did, and ended up with this city. Oh, and I changed production from a granary to a worker.

Yes, one off the coast. Still, it was the only way I could grab the the cows, fish, stone, and horses. Plus, it exchanges ocean for grassland. I know coast is 3-4 commerce, but I'd still rather have cottages/workshops. I'll get a workboat out there from Carthage eventually.

I met Peter and Shaka (No screeny). Oh joy. Just my favorite people.

Eleclam city. Two hills, 1 elephant, 1 clam and a ton of grassland. It'll be a great cottage city in the future. I founded that just before I found this, so in retrospect, I should've sent my settler south.

So, I'm on a penninsula. I have to get a city down there ASAP, lest Peter starts REXing right onto my land. Peter is REXing down there. He's already got 4-5 cities, and Zulu is trapped at just 1-2. Looks like Zulu won't much of a factor in this game. Then again, I wouldn't put it past Shaka to kill everyone.

My penninsula:

The two 1 cities are possibilities for a commerce city that blocks off Peter. The upper one grabs three die and is on the river, the lower one gets one dye, and a banana.

Techpath:
Writing -> Iron Working (Partially Researched). It was a short round, what can I say.

You are Hannibal with a great UB, so I suggest you settle more coastal cities for much improved trade commerce. Here is the dot map I drew, red crosses are core cities, Blue are fillers. Settle dye/banana, and Rice/elephants first as blocking cities.

Top Bottom