[GS] Antarctic Late Summer Patch Discussion Thread

upload_2019-4-11_13-8-5.png

Fix is here! Here is a snip of the patch notes for those who can't access Steam right now.

Anybody test it out yet? I wasn't planning on starting a game, but perhaps I can.

Of course it makes me wonder if they even tested some of these features. I know their QA team isn't large, but the great works thing was kind of obvious. Not a big deal when everything is on one page, but god forbid you play Eleanor and have theater squares in every city.

Fighters can still NOT deploy from Airstrips. :mad:

Back to Vox Populi.

Same. havent even test the new patch. war is boring and i dont hear mutch improvement so still play VP

Yeap. Everyone congratulating them here, for what is basically a poor job of "fixing" a few issues among the many reported in the Bug Reports subforum. :thumbsdown:

Of course it makes me wonder if they even tested some of these features. I know their QA team isn't large, but the great works thing was kind of obvious. Not a big deal when everything is on one page, but god forbid you play Eleanor and have theater squares in every city.
The Great Works system would have been more or less fine if they added a "compact mode" for the Great Works menu that eliminated excess space and made everything take up about half the space it does now in both dimensions. ...and also made it scroll vertically, since it doesn't for some reason.

But the way it is now is just silly. It's one of the ugliest menus in the game and it's so ugly that trying to make it more functional just makes it worse.

Fighters can still NOT deploy from Airstrips. :mad:
But they are still good as bomber bases, right?
Just have to re-conceptualize what airstrips are, and their purpose.

(sigh), until their function changes, if it ever does.

But they are still good as bomber bases, right?
Just have to re-conceptualize what airstrips are, and their purpose.

(sigh), until their function changes, if it ever does.

Seriously? I'm done "re-conceptualizing" to compensate for bugs. I had to do that a lot already to be able to "suspend-disbelief" my civ 6 games against the "AI" in order not to feel like I am playing SimCity with tanks. Nope, no more "re-conceptualizing". Air bases are air bases, period. Waited long enough to be able to TRY to enjoy the air game.

Unless this is their way to "buff" the AI... :rolleyes:

The Great Works system would have been more or less fine if they added a "compact mode" for the Great Works menu that eliminated excess space and made everything take up about half the space it does now in both dimensions. ...and also made it scroll vertically, since it doesn't for some reason.

But the way it is now is just silly. It's one of the ugliest menus in the game and it's so ugly that trying to make it more functional just makes it worse.

Even if they just added a "filter" menu so that you can limit to only show relevant city spots for great work pieces. Or having some sorting options, or other way to arrange things. Especially with some civs' cities, it can be really hard to remember exactly which one it was that I wanted to move the work to.

AFAIC, @dshirk 's precisions above are good enough -- for relatively simple (and expected, asap) repairs to generic "flaws" experienced by many.

Soooooo.. i certainly can honestly wait even more for further (less but still important) fixes. The gameplay is stable while nothing really breaks the essential(s).
Keep 'hem coming, Firaxis! :)

Even if they just added a "filter" menu so that you can limit to only show relevant city spots for great work pieces. Or having some sorting options, or other way to arrange things. Especially with some civs' cities, it can be really hard to remember exactly which one it was that I wanted to move the work to.

You might want to give this stuff (( https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1652106496 )) a full ride. I found it to be intuitive enough to cover just about any situations. More so now that the latest mini-patch is supposed to be removing "Drag&Drop" from the component.

PS; Although.. you'll likely have to wait until the modder adapts his stuff to the newest LUA/XML codes!

Last edited:
I thought dragging Great Works worked quite well actually and adapted fairly quickly. Did we really give this change a fair chance civfanatics community?

(Sorry Firaxis, I know you are pulling your hair because of my comment. "You can't please these guys!!!!!")

I'm sure I'll have no problem switching back to do things the old way, cheer up!

I thought dragging Great Works worked quite well actually and adapted fairly quickly. Did we really give this change a fair chance civfanatics community?
Really, the drag-and-drop system's main problem was the interface around it; it is awkward to use drag-and-drop for something you can easily get lost in, and something you'll probably need to scroll through. I would love to see this interface get retouched in a later patch, if anyone's watching.

The old system is clunky, but it's at least effective.

Top Bottom