1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Antarctic Late Summer Patch Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Aristos, Apr 2, 2019.

1. sonicmyst

sonicmyst Emperor

2. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

Finally figured out the numbers, if you send per turn, then the game calculates the total yield and grants the appropriate score (so it doesn't count upwards)

Good to know tbh. Plus, this makes the AI more competitive for the Aid Competition. FINALLY.

3. Pietato

Pietato Emperor

Yep, could always do that. Is the AIs main way of contributing.

4. ezzlar

ezzlar Emperor

Trade needs more of the heavy assymetry that was present in Rhyes. The AI shoul place a very low value of your offer and value what they offer highly. Which is rational since the AI is stupid and trading with the player is usually a bad deal.

oedali and Trav'ling Canuck like this.
  5. criZp

criZp Emperor

Uberfrog likes this.
  6. Arilian

Arilian King

I am getting 50gpt/turn/luxury in the ancient and classical era (with dido) this looks to be some bug, or deity is even more easy now....

7. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

It's probably part of that "Diplomatic Victory strategy" AI improvement in the patch.

Jewelrunna and SammyKhalifa like this.
  8. Vizurok

Vizurok Magyar Soldier

Okay, so how are you feeling about the default walls for city states? I have just completed my first game and the difference seems to be huge: no city state was conquered in the early game, and 11 of 12 survived until the end. This is super good news for CS-happy civs - I might say that the patch actually buffed Hungary in a weird way.

acluewithout likes this.
  9. Minou

Minou Prince

I’m sorry but these traded are so dumb I am putting the damn game down until they fix it. How badly do they actually test?

“Hard” things to fix like AI combat I can accept as a limitation of the system but it is just so obnoxious that they not only refuse to fix the simplest things like Goddess of the Harvest but keep introducing NEW problems like scaled pillaging, AI stupidly paying all their gold for Diplomatic Favor, and now these crazy trade deals.

Firaxis for goodness sake play a game or two before you release these things. I think the game was actually way less broken at the last pre-GS version than now two patches later, which is just so sad. This game remains a heartbreaking failure to live up to its potential. So close to being great but dumb issuers continually ruin each version.

Cagarustus, Kjimmet, Arilian and 4 others like this.
  10. SaiH

SaiH Warlord

I didn't see anything about it in the notes: is it now possible to trade strategic resources per turn?

11. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

You are aware the patch fixed a load of other things, right? I think focusing on the visible bugs leftover (or introduced as a consequence) is a rather loaded way of looking at it, especially when you use this view as a jumping point to incredulously ask if Firaxis did any testing.

12. Duuk

Duuk Doom-Sayer Supporter

"Give walls to City States" has been a balance mod for years. When added to the base game it instantly allowed city states to survive much, much longer (often to the end of the game). It's been known as a simple, easy, quick fix for a long, long time.

The fact that it was implemented (and only on the upper two difficultly levels) is kind of a weird "We're not going to fix the actual AI behavior so the AI understands the potential value of city states as client states or trade partners, we'll just use the community fix so the AI can't conquer them by exploiting our bad AI's inability to conquer walled cities."

13. Vizurok

Vizurok Magyar Soldier

Yeah, I was aware of the mod, but I don't really play with non-UI mods as I want to rely on Firaxis on game balancing. However, I am now a little bit confused. AIs eating city states in the early game used to be so inevitable that even people on this forum started to rationalize the AI behaviour, saying that this worked as the devs intended: the early game is really nothing else but the survival of the fittest, so there you go, poor city states. Changing the status quo in a minor patch does feel like giving up and confirming that they actually did not want this to happen but they couldn't really solve the problem since the original release.

I think that this change significantly nerfs the difficulty for even non-CS dependant civs, as it limits the AI's early snowball ability while providing broader access to human players in an area (CS and envoy management) where the AI cannot compete.

14. kb27787

kb27787 Deity

yup, this time trade really is BROKEN.

Case in point, here I am trading with Teddy; I have 50 iron (max) and he has 8.

I offer him 20 iron, he offers one gold... no good right?

Well I offer him 1 iron, he offers 1 gold and 1 gpt! (ok.. so 1 worth more than 20) I accept
    I offer him another iron, he offers the same thing.
    Rinse and repeat around 10+ times each iron going for 1 gpt and some few gold.
    At a certain point, he offer 2 gpt!
    Then 3 gpt for the next unit of iron.
    Sometimes he'll just offer 1 flat gold per unit in between... supposedly he's had enough I thought; still, I accept and continue on offering iron unit by unit.

By the time I had got to 20th-30th units, the cost had gone up to 10 gpt per unit iron... would've probably gone further had I not ended up completely emptying his treasury.

Fix it pls Firaxis... this exploit is way, way, WAY too much and does not make sense at all. Early game a few iron mines will net you more gold than Mali.

15. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Here's the full account of the additional change Ed tweeted about yesterday:

Professional Armies has been changed to a 50% Gold discount to upgrading units. Obsolete at Urbanization

New policy: Retinues: Mecenaries Civic, 50% Resource discount to upgrading units. Obsolete at Urbanization

New policy: Force Modernization: Urbanization Civic, 50% Gold and Resource discount to upgrading units.

16. criZp

criZp Emperor

so it's a fix that fixes nothing, you can still switch to these policies for 1 turn, upgrade everything, then switch to something else.

Trav'ling Canuck likes this.
  17. acluewithout

acluewithout Deity

I can't get over how much bug fixing and tweaking and UI work FXS have done, in a fairly short space if time, and somehow they also found time to do some generally pretty good re-balancing.

I mean, good grief, they've even tweaked upgrade costs and the Professional Army cards!

Yeah. Some new bugs are annoying. But they'll likely get hotfixed or patched out. Still a good patch.

The City State wall thing is a bit funny. There's been a City State wall mod for ages, as people have pointed out. I wonder if FXS just looked at it and some game data and just went "Guys, people like it and it works". That would be a good reason to do it. I also thing - finally! - this is maybe a first step to higher difficulties having a slightly different rule set. I don't think it was meant that way, but hopefully the trend will continue.

(Actually though. I'm still really annoyed the England Royal Navy Dockyard bug wasn't fixed. Sigh. Maybe next time.)

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  18. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

I'm in the middle of a Cree game. Patch came, and suddenly his ability started working correctly with internal TRs, and now my cities are way bigger than I was accounting for. Heh.

Pietato and WillowBrook like this.
  19. TheGrumpyBuddha

TheGrumpyBuddha King

Is the AI suddenly bad at science all of a sudden with this patch? I started two games yesterday and in one, nobody was making GS points until turn 100 or so, and in the other, a team MP game (our team vs AI teams), it's turn 130 or so and we're holding even with the other AIs at a lousy combined 70 science/turn.

20. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

I don't get it. "fixing" the AI is difficult work. Why is this bad when it's precisely what modders have done, and by your exact words is simple, quick and easy? Surely it's better than no change at all?