Any word on new DLC?

There are two XCOM games coming out. Anyway the one you speak of is too much science fiction for my taste. I'll stick to CiV and Total War. Let me know smallfish if the game has a decent AI though. I do love science fiction, so if it does, I'll give it a go.

Yeah, we just prefer not to think of the other one that has similarity to the franchise through name only.

Typically from what I understand of "you-vs-alien" squad management games as XCOM, the AI gets bonuses and your folks, before they get the good stuff (and even then), get nerfed. Which kinda makes senses, because you are relying on good ole fashioned earth technology and human flesh while the hostiles are alien invaders with interesting kinds of firepower.

Why kinda? Because by nerfed, I mean seriously nerfed.

I'll likely stream a game of Xcom EU when it comes out, so you can decide for yourself if you watch.

Only one guy can survive the mission!:D

I suppose that is why changed things, so your men disembark automatically from the ship now.

It was a bit awkward to use, but I'm not sure I like this. Having the view from the ship's docking bay could be useful, and could also protect against Reapers and the like - it's also a good spot to send wounded guys to, right up until the Sectoid Leader possesses one who drops a grenade or fires a rocket into the hold (yes, they do that too). Having it as a risk rather than just a secure 'out of action' area made its use tactical. On the other hand, from memory Apocalypse did the same thing, so it's not unprecedented.

I will check up on the new game. It does look well done. I watched the PAX gameplay trailer.

I'm looking forward to it, but frankly the original has held up so well when revisiting it that I'm not tempted to spend $50 on a game which looks very likely to be good but will undoubtedly not be as good. It's likely nostalgia talking, but even the graphics - blocky, two-dimensional, clumsily-animated and pixellated as they are - have held up better than most games of that or a later era - I'd take 1993 UFO graphics over, say, 1998 Starcraft graphics.

Yeah, we just prefer not to think of the other one that has similarity to the franchise through name only.

I hadn't heard of that one until reading forums here, but there was a game in the original series that went the shooter route - X-COM Enforcer. Never played it, but I now possess it as part of the Steam bundle so I'll probably try it at some stage.

Typically from what I understand of "you-vs-alien" squad management games as XCOM, the AI gets bonuses and your folks, before they get the good stuff (and even then), get nerfed. Which kinda makes senses, because you are relying on good ole fashioned earth technology and human flesh while the hostiles are alien invaders with interesting kinds of firepower.

It works to a stat system - accuracy of 65+ is pretty accurate even with fairly basic weapons, at least for aimed shots (except for the wholly pointless heavy cannon and similarly pointless but faster-firing autocannon), but early in the game your rookies will mostly be in the 40-60 range (you do tend to get a higher proportion of skilled rookies as the game goes on); aliens just generally have superior starting stats (but, of course, can't gain experience), as well as better and more accurate guns (basic X-COM weapons have appalling accuracy, but even a bad shot can reliably hit with laser weapons. Plasma's less accurate but more damaging). It's not a 'nerf' in the sense of an AI bonus, it's more like a roleplaying game where your characters' stats have to start low since they improve over time.

Any word yet on when we will get some new dlc civs?

There are many player-submitted mods with custom civs. In game menu, get mods, filter g&K, civs.

You'll find tons. Some aren't balanced really well, while some are really cool.

If there's any incoming DLC, it'd probably come around the same time the Fall Patch does.

There is a new Polish civ if you read the fall update incorrectly...

haha, I did that too. I saw the word "Polish" in bold and thought "They're putting Poland in the game?" Then I actually read it.

Anyway. These threads aren't really necessary. I understand being impatient for news, especially with long dry spells, but if there is news it'll be right on the front page of this site. No need to keep asking, just keep checking the home page.

haha, I did that too. I saw the word "Polish" in bold and thought "They're putting Poland in the game?" Then I actually read it.

Anyway. These threads aren't really necessary. I understand being impatient for news, especially with long dry spells, but if there is news it'll be right on the front page of this site. No need to keep asking, just keep checking the home page.

Theres no need for you to check the thread and spam it. if you dont like these types of theards dont click on them, and dont spam my thread.

Whoa, no need to be hostile.
I sort of agree with cccv. A thread similar to this one was just created a couple of days ago, which was the one that I linked you to. He was just informing you that you don't need to post a new thread about it.

Whoa, no need to be hostile.
I sort of agree with cccv. A thread similar to this one was just created a couple of days ago, which was the one that I linked you to. He was just informing you that you don't need to post a new thread about it.

again spam is not allowed here either discuss new dlc or post nothing at all.

There are many player-submitted mods with custom civs. In game menu, get mods, filter g&K, civs.

You'll find tons. Some aren't balanced really well, while some are really cool.

I would but its nice to have professionally done civs.

It's really not spam...

You got one person giving you a thread not even 2 weeks old saying no one has heard anything, and another person telling you where to look in the future to get the information you want, which should be easier and quicker for you more than anyone...

While something new is fine, the civs are all so unique now, with the UA's, I imagine it takes time to correctly code them and make sure they don't have problems (oh hai der Korea!) Nevermind the fact that adding something new just to have something new isn't a good idea. Developing a fun civs that will play differently from the others takes time, then balancing them against all the other civs takes time too.

I'm personally hoping any new civs are released as part of another expansion (besides my personal issues with Steam, can't we all agree that civs in an expansion are a better value and offer a really exciting experience with new mechanics and civs that use them?) but if they are released as DLC, just remember that to get anything that will add to the game, it takes time.

It is 2012, the 200th Anniversary of the War of 1812. That could make an interesting scenario for DLC packaged with Canada and another first nation civ. Perhaps a Civil War scenario could be included making it a North American DLC pack.

You should see what it's like here in Canada! Cheesy War of 1812 ads EVERYWHERE! I swear, they're just ASKING for another attack! Off topic post.:king:

You should see what it's like here in Canada! Cheesy War of 1812 ads EVERYWHERE! I swear, they're just ASKING for another attack! Off topic post.:king:

It's 100 years since Kim Il Sung was born, and they're going crazy about that in North Korea. I think a North American DLC pack should have a Cold War theme and introduce North Korea and Vietnam too. Maybe throw in Cuba.

It's 100 years since Kim Il Sung was born, and they're going crazy about that in North Korea. I think a North American DLC pack should have a Cold War theme and introduce North Korea and Vietnam too. Maybe throw in Cuba.

I would live to see cuba in the game, it would be neat to see a super power cuba in modern era.

Top Bottom