Any word on new DLC?

Nice idea, and you could add to those the Hittites and the Philistines... could be interesting.

Philistines would be hard. They only had five cities. But definitely think Assyria should be added, they've never been in a Civ game.

I want Sitting Bull back, I just can imagine him standing in front of a fire greeting you in the desert with fire reflecting on his head, with those cone shaped huts they lived in and a totem pole against a desert background with fully lit night sky.. Oh... god........ so.. beautiful.

Hell, I even know they should use dark brown with black font as their city banner/emblem!

It would be logical to sell an expansion with DLCs and w/o DLCs, but I sure hope it's not $39.99! (That's so very expensive D:)

Not really - $10 extra for 5 civs, 3 Wonders and a set of new maps is reasonable when most of that content sells at $5 per DLC; there's no realistic chance they'd sell at any more of a discount than that.

I want Sitting Bull back, I just can imagine him standing in front of a fire greeting you in the desert with fire reflecting on his head, with those cone shaped huts they lived in and a totem pole against a desert background with fully lit night sky.. Oh... god........ so.. beautiful.

The Sioux didn't live in a desert (Great Plains/Black Hills) and didnt make totem poles (generally associated with natives from the Northwest).

All that said, in my opinion we have enough nomadic horse civs at this point. We need a civ that really thrives in pure desert/snow-tundra tiles.

Just seen Boudicca for the 1st time. Nice graphics and animation, but a little disappointed. for one, I really think her holding a bared sword is gimmicky. I expect her to be brash and bold, but not wielding a sword - It just wouldn`t be that way. Her men are her sword. Chances are she was a great orater or speaker to men, embolding them to fight the Romans with great angry words. At most she may have an emergency ornate dagger sheathed. I doubt she ever wielded a sword in battle. Also the sword is too big.

Was she a redhead? TWO Redheads representing Britain more or less?

I also imagined her to be less well `kept`. I imagined someone a little wilder. I also expected her to be deeper voiced. She seems a tad too reserved in my view.

Meh.

Hell, I even know they should use dark brown with black font as their city banner/emblem!

Er, they didn't live in deserts, they're called teepees, and totem poles are almost exclusively Alaskan (Inuit indian).

I personally would love an 1812 / Napoleonic wars type of scenario or Great Game. I would also like new terrain modifications (trenches, canals, air base, etc).

As far as the civilizations, the demand for Zulu looks strong so that wouldn't surprise me. I would like to see Vietnam, Hittites, a post-columbian american civilization (brazil, mexico, gran colombia, argentina), and a west african tropical civ (Kongo, Hausa). If they were to throw another european civ I'd lean for Portugal; Slavic civ that isn't Russia (Yugoslavia, Poland/Lithuania); Romania; Finland.

Er, they didn't live in deserts, they're called teepees, and totem poles are almost exclusively Alaskan (Inuit indian).

Actually, Totem Poles are more Pacific Northwest. Certainly not Plains Indians, but I don't think the Inuit had enough wood to waste on Totems.

Not really - $10 extra for 5 civs, 3 Wonders and a set of new maps is reasonable when most of that content sells at $5 per DLC; there's no realistic chance they'd sell at any more of a discount than that.

The first expansion went for $30. I'd be very, very surprised if the second one goes for more than $30.

Anyway, why compare new content to the DLC price rate? Why not compare it to the price of the game instead? The DLC is vastly overpriced when you consider how much content you got for your initial $60.

The first expansion went for $30. I'd be very, very surprised if the second one goes for more than $30.

Anyway, why compare new content to the DLC price rate? Why not compare it to the price of the game instead? The DLC is vastly overpriced when you consider how much content you got for your initial $60.

He was talking about the expansion only be 10 more dollars because of all of the DLC added...not the price of it alone.

X-COM is not a tactical shooter. Do give it a try.

There are two XCOM games coming out. Anyway the one you speak of is too much science fiction for my taste. I'll stick to CiV and Total War. Let me know smallfish if the game has a decent AI though. I do love science fiction, so if it does, I'll give it a go.

Yes it is.

The 2012 version of the XCOM game is a tactical shooter from a first-person perspective, in which the player can enter a tactical-view mode, during which the game pauses for a while, to "use time units to order the two agents traveling with him on the field."

Developer(s)

2K Marin

Any chance that smallfish was being smart and ignoring that pile of crap, while actually referring to the Xcom being developed by Firaxis (not 2K Marin) which is being released in about a month?

edit: just saw your edit.

I'll likely stream a game of Xcom EU when it comes out, so you can decide for yourself if you watch.

Yes it is.

The 2012 version of the XCOM game is a tactical shooter from a first-person perspective[...]

There are 2 XCOM titles in development. One is a shooter (link), one is a TBS game (link). The TBS game is made by Firaxis, the shooter by 2K Marin.

Edit: Too slow. Missed 1 edit and the post above.

And now maybe back to the DLC please :). Because they've clearly said that the team working on XCOM is not the same which works on Civ5, so that stuff doesn't really conflict ;).

There are two XCOM games coming out. Anyway the one you speak of is too much science fiction for my taste. I'll stick to CiV and Total War. Let me know smallfish if the game has a decent AI though. I do love science fiction, so if it does, I'll give it a go.

I've gone back to playing the original UFO recently, and the AI is actually very good - better than many modern games, for all that it was made in 1993. I'll be sorely disappointed if the new one isn't at least close. Sure, they wandered around aimlessly in the spaceship, occasionally blew themselves up, and civiliians were very dumb, but they'd make very good use of cover, fog of war and higher-level vantage points, and you can bet that if you had an enemy in full view of your Skyranger at the start of the game, if you still had your squad aboard by the aliens' turn (because you'd chosen to shoot rather than disembark with the leading men) and there was a humanoid alien still in range, you can rely on it to throw a grenade into the ship.

I've gone back to playing the original UFO recently, and the AI is actually very good - better than many modern games, for all that it was made in 1993. I'll be sorely disappointed if the new one isn't at least close. Sure, they wandered around aimlessly in the spaceship, occasionally blew themselves up, and civiliians were very dumb, but they'd make very good use of cover, fog of war and higher-level vantage points, and you can bet that if you had an enemy in full view of your Skyranger at the start of the game, if you still had your squad aboard by the aliens' turn (because you'd chosen to shoot rather than disembark with the leading men) and there was a humanoid alien still in range, you can rely on it to throw a grenade into the ship.

I suppose that is why changed things, so your men disembark automatically from the ship now.

I will check up on the new game. It does look well done. I watched the PAX gameplay trailer.

I had no idea there were two versions of X-COM coming out. I have absolutely zero interest in the first person shooter, which I didn't realize was being developed. The tactical, turn-based game is what has me so excited. The original was a fantastic game, and I expect that Firaxis will do it justice with this revamp.

Top Bottom