April 2021 Update - Patch Notes Discussion

I'm on my third game post-patch now. I really liked the changes to Scythia. I found Georgia's changes to be an improvement, but still not very interesting, at least to me. I really like Spain's changes. They feel very colonial now. They are up there with my favorite vanilla civs, although I still need to try Norway again. The times I've gotten Berzerkers from barb camps tell me that the unit is pretty great now.

Yeah, they are the only ones who I do not build the Ancestral Hall with.

I actually really liked my last game as Maya with Ancestral Hall, I think it's situational but getting two free builders when founding a city is crazy strong (particularly if you have serfdom inserted). Maya can surprisingly go quite tall if you have lots of flatland; chopping jungles and immediately planting farms is wonderful. You also want to make sure you have all your plantations built ASAP so you can reap the gold/science bonuses from them. I was running +50 GPT in the early game with 1 trade route thanks to the tile improvements.

Another fun strategy with Ancestral Hall Maya is keeping the first builder in the new city to improve it, while moving the second straight to the 'chop city' in order to churn out more builders.

To me, Audience Chamber is just... meh. Yeah +4 housing and +2 amenities are great and all, but that loyalty malus is totally unnecessary and kills it for me. Because Maya are so tied to their homeland, I find myself not exploring as far as I might otherwise and not getting as much era score. For Maya, if you settle next to a luxury you already get another amenity, and in any case the AC's bonuses don't apply to non-governor cities so you're only getting -2 loyalty there. I don't know, I really appreciate the new Maya and the fact there's more than one way to play them.

I actually really liked my last game as Maya with Ancestral Hall, I think it's situational but getting two free builders when founding a city is crazy strong (particularly if you have serfdom inserted). Maya can surprisingly go quite tall if you have lots of flatland; chopping jungles and immediately planting farms is wonderful. You also want to make sure you have all your plantations built ASAP so you can reap the gold/science bonuses from them. I was running +50 GPT in the early game with 1 trade route thanks to the tile improvements.

Another fun strategy with Ancestral Hall Maya is keeping the first builder in the new city to improve it, while moving the second straight to the 'chop city' in order to churn out more builders.

To me, Audience Chamber is just... meh. Yeah +4 housing and +2 amenities are great and all, but that loyalty malus is totally unnecessary and kills it for me. Because Maya are so tied to their homeland, I find myself not exploring as far as I might otherwise and not getting as much era score. For Maya, if you settle next to a luxury you already get another amenity, and in any case the AC's bonuses don't apply to non-governor cities so you're only getting -2 loyalty there. I don't know, I really appreciate the new Maya and the fact there's more than one way to play them.

Maya being able to go tall is not surprising, seeing as it is what they are designed for.

The minus loyalty is meaningless, because you are trying to make a solid core of cities as the Mayans.

I hope this is not the final balance patch. Dirty capitalism mod still bugged, Poland sucks, Georgia needs work, scout line of units sucks, Eleanor needs some love, tanks still reign supreme, etc...

I hope this is not the final balance patch. Dirty capitalism mod still bugged, Poland sucks, Georgia needs work, scout line of units sucks, Eleanor needs some love, tanks still reign supreme, etc...
Personally, I think we'll only get a rebalance (beyond the odd tweak) if we get paid content, a lá NFP (or an XP). It's just a lot of work. Either they're planning more content and so planned further rebalances with it, or this is pretty much it.

It's just a lot of work.
Which we have paid for already and which still is not done. I'm eagerly expecting a LOT of bugfixing, gameplay, AI and UI issue solving.

I don't expect rebalancing, maybe some slight balance changes. From most likely to least likely I still expect bugfixing, UI issues and AI improvement.

Well Civ 5 ended with a big patch that also included bonus stuff like new buffalo resource. I dont think there were any more patches after that.

I am all in for Civ 7 even though I love 6.

Well Civ 5 ended with a big patch that also included bonus stuff like new buffalo resource. I dont think there were any more patches after that.

I am all in for Civ 7 even though I love 6.

Same. Although I do feel like the current state of the game is just not good enough. Featurewise it's oversaturated, and balancewise I don't care too much, but the simple bugs that were introduced in the last patch and before should be fixed in my opinion.

Or at least, give modders enough permissions to fix it for them.

Sometimes the A.I. really surprises positively.

I'm watching a big war between France and Kongo.
Both have armies and corps of tanks, artillery, line infantry etc.
One artillery army had drone attached to it.

Kongo used biplanes in a blitzkrieg attack where big part of French army was destroyed and liberated the city-state of Buenos Aires from France, captured another French city and torched it!

Many times 1UPT makes AI armies bumbling fools but sometimes there's pretty cool warfare.

Sometimes the A.I. really surprises positively.

I'm watching a big war between France and Kongo.
Both have armies and corps of tanks, artillery, line infantry etc.
One artillery army had drone attached to it.

Kongo used biplanes in a blitzkrieg attack where big part of French army was destroyed and liberated the city-state of Buenos Aires from France, captured another French city and torched it!

Many times 1UPT makes AI armies bumbling fools but sometimes there's pretty cool warfare.

I've seen good moves and city capturing from AI... versus AI. But against human player, not so much (except in the early deity rush if I have no walls, one slinger / one warrior and AI comes with four or five UU's, they eventually capture my second or third city). I've had AI declare war on me, bring frightening trebuchet which just sat idle two hexes away from my walled city. I took three shots at it before it decided to bombard me. Took half my ancient city wall away, but it was too late, my next shot killed the trebuchet and I never saw another. Or in my previous game, AI declared war on me and brought five fully-upgraded GDR's to my territory... when I was still two eras below. Scary as hell... but then they just took a casual stroll all around my territory, pillaged here and there by cherry-picking but never attacked one city. I eventually made peace again, and that was it.

Yep, looks like the Value column in the ModifierArguments table for "SNOW_MINES_PRODUCTION" & "TUNDRA_HILLS_LUMBER_MILLS_PRODUCTION" was inadvertently left at 1 instead of changed to 2. @guiltysocks might want to post a report in the Bug Reports sub-forum.

Do we know the tourism values for monopolies now? I just acidentally got a cultural victory as korea that I wans't going for at all totally by surprise. I did have four corporations and I think three of them were monopolies, but I hadn't done much cultural stuff that game... I know the values were extremely high initially, but I think they got nerfed, right? Was the nerf just way too small?

Top Bottom