April Challenge Discossion Thread - Three Stars Each

Eagle Pursuit

Per Scribendum, Volo
april.jpeg

CHALLENGE 6: THREE STARS EACH

The Babylonians were the first to record the cadence of the stars and planets in the sky. As Hammurabi, can you lead your people into space and secure a Science victory before May 14?

Technology and Civics trees are shuffled and hidden for this event, so Babylon's ability to unlock technological advancements via Eurekas is key. Adding to the unpredictability of this event, parameters including the map and other civilizations are randomized.

Game Parameters

• Difficulty: Prince / Emperor
  • Victory: Science Only
  • Speed: Quick
  • Player Leader: Hammurabi
  • Map Type: Pangea
  • Map Size: Standard
  • RuleSet: Gathering Storm
  • Start Era: Ancient
  • Resources: Standard
  • World Age: Standard
  • Start Position: Standard
  • Temperature: Standard
  • Rainfall: Standard
  • Sea Level: Standard

Last edited by a moderator:
Adding to the unpredictability of this event, parameters including the map and other civilizations are randomized.

So everyone will technically roll a different map and with different bots. Hmm...I was looking forward to the monthly challenge and I'm a little disappointed TBH 😑

I might pass on this one.

Done with first attempt on emperor. They should definitely add harder dif on challenges like this one, especially since there is somuch different strategies available.

Attachments

• Civ6Screen0007.gif
    Civ6Screen0007.gif
    901 KB · Views: 193
Wow how is that a challenge, it's just a standard Babylon game on Quick speed.

At least should randomize other things like map type (use Shuffle!) too.
We should all consider from time to time that this community isn't really representative of most Civ. players :D

Not much to do on this one other than try to get a low turn victory. It's what I'm going for, though I usually don't do that, so I doubt mine will be that great.

Wow how is that a challenge, it's just a standard Babylon game on Quick speed.

At least should randomize other things like map type (use Shuffle!) too.
I think mention was made a while back that Challenges tend to highlight specific mechanics, like Caesar's gold from barbs. In this case, it's clearly Babylon's special Eurekas, though if you have the civ it doesn't really need highlighting...

I think mention was made a while back that Challenges tend to highlight specific mechanics, like Caesar's gold from barbs. In this case, it's clearly Babylon's special Eurekas, though if you have the civ it doesn't really need highlighting...
The point of this is two-fold:
1) to do a fun little thing that keeps casual players engaged so they notice when the marketing for Civ 7 eventually begins.

2) It gives players who didn't buy Babylon a chance to test drive the DLC for a month. Maybe they'll pitch a few bucks for it now.

The point of this is two-fold:
1) to do a fun little thing that keeps casual players engaged so they notice when the marketing for Civ 7 eventually begins.

2) It gives players who didn't buy Babylon a chance to test drive the DLC for a month. Maybe they'll pitch a few bucks for it now.

I get that, but it personally doesn't give me a lot of optimism for the implementation of this feature in Civ 7. I was hoping it to be a combination of a Firaxis sponsored GOTM meets scenarios, but if ti's essentially just "play this Civ this month" then meh. Like have one of your resources dedicated a couple of days a month to make these, not a couple of hours.

I get that, but it personally doesn't give me a lot of optimism for the implementation of this feature in Civ 7. I was hoping it to be a combination of a Firaxis sponsored GOTM meets scenarios, but if ti's essentially just "play this Civ this month" then meh. Like have one of your resources dedicated a couple of days a month to make these, not a couple of hours.
We will have to see. I suspect that these Civ 6 challenges are not getting the level of resources to do them justice because Civ 7 is pulling the lion's share of the staff's hours and funding.

If Civ 7 has challenges and they aren't greatly improved over this... well, that's a lack of courage or vision on 2K or Firaxis's part.

Can you still normally research in this Challenge? I think potential spice the Challenge might need (which may however backfire), is to make (for the player) Eurekas the only way to progress, not the main efficient way.

Also, given that these Challenges seem to be them testing waters for Civ 7, the point of this Challenge might quite literally be whether players would be interested in something as mundane as 'play Civ X' from time to time - it still, giving it the artifical hype/golden wrapper of Challenge, may serve to incentivize players to try Civ they usually glosed over If they bought them as part of larger package. Plus DEMO for those, who don't own it yet, as Eagle mentoined.

I just hope it isn't any effort to make Civ into a "live service" game. It doesn't fit for this type of game, and the game was fine how it was before. I don't think the Frontier pack or leaders pack added much to the game. It may have been better actually at the end of Gathering Storm.

As for Babylon, I remember why I leave him out of my games. It may be the quick speed as well which I never play. Eras just fly by. But the worst part is you still have to wait for that 10 turn countdown which seems excruciatingly long for quick speed. I really hate having to micromanage avoiding getting era score until the next era. I love this game, but this is one of the most aggravating parts of it. I notice it even more on this quick speed setting. I normally play marathon. I also notice how much easier it is to get era score on quick speed compared to marathon, or maybe it's because I was playing Babylon. I still feel this civ breaks the game. This leader will continue to be disabled in my games.

Amazingly I got beat to Big Ben wonder by Vietnam. And I was flying through the techs, but the tech shuffle helped her, and she must have beelined it. Vietnam did quite well my game. I think she also grabbed Korolev and beat me to orbit and the moon. Not that she has any chance of winning, I completely flew past her on space progress and my game was almost finished when I went to bed last night. All the other civs are so far behind it's pathetic.

I just hope it isn't any effort to make Civ into a "live service" game. It doesn't fit for this type of game, and the game was fine how it was before.

I hope not as well, though I'm a little nervous about what 2K expects.

My general thoughts: Almost no one plays scenarios. Multiplayer has had limited long-term engagement despite multiple attempts at shorter variants (or even completely different variants like pirates/red death. There's a lot of single players, but they don't have an AI that challenges people at the higher levels. They see some friendly competitive engagement on forums in things like GOTM or fastest science victories.

They might be trying to solve a lot of those with this. Interesting GOTM scenarios potentially coupled with some sort of iron-man/competitive leaderboard sort of ranking per scenario could engage single players and bring some of the competitive element people lack from the AI (and as an alternate to multiplayer). I don't know about the second part of that though honestly (the competitive leaderboard style of implemenation) since preventing cheating would likely be very difficult/resource intensive.

Top Bottom