[NFP] April Update Video

I agree, but I think it's important to realize just how unique Canada's build order is. With the AI super unlikely to denounce and then formal war you, you can get away with ignoring building an army; I'd absolutely substitute a few slingers for an early builder or two. You still need to scout, as you'll be fairly isolated, but it's not like you have to settle anywhere else immediately to prevent the AI from doing so. With new Canada, you can stay in the tundra and build strong cities, whereas previously Canada needed to immediately find some way to leave.

But regarding their differentiation with Russia, maybe I don't play them right, but I always found them to have a really slow start no matter what. Even if they're not in tundra, there just doesn't seem to be much production or growth potential. Russia seems to be the civ to settle wide, whereas Canada is clearly the tall version of them now. Of course Russia has the Lavra which solves a lot of these problems, but that requires a lot of extra synergy with beliefs that Canada doesn't need to worry about.

For sure, Canada's strength has always been the ability to pull off starts that would be much riskier than for other civs. Going scout > builder as Canada is not particularly risky unless you get very unlucky with barbarians.

That doesn't really help considering the wiki was already updated. :p

Yeah, those Wiki guys are on the ball. :lol:

But re: Spain's fleets & armadas, just fire up Civ VI and look at the leader screen
20210412185606_1.jpg

As for the changes, no complaints towards buffing weaker Civs, all of these changes are net improvements. Even the ones not mentioned (did the Prasat always provide Culture?) seem pretty good. I like that nothing has been nerfed, but hope that nothing has been nerfed by the power creep
No, the Prasat didn't always provide Culture. With the free Tourism, Faith, and Culture from high Population Cities, the Khmer will be a truly great tall Civ.

Eh, most domination civs are land based though so this is a major detour to pick up just one unit when everything is on the lower part of the tech tree.

Even landbased civs need a navy if they go for domination on naval maps. Even on continents they will need to cross oceans to win a dom game.
Also this one unit might be a good one. If you gain around 10 Combat strenght on units that work with battering rams and siege towers you have a solid alternative to take down medival walls. Thats worth the 2 techs (you will need one later on in any game anyway) you need for this imo.

But re: Spain's fleets & armadas, just fire up Civ VI and look at the leader screen
View attachment 593587
Thanks for the useful picture. Now we just need it for all the others... :p

Also, it appears that they got rid of the +2 Loyalty from Missions in the Civ Ability and moved it to the Mission itself. Thank goodness for that...

Some sort of a strange continent? An elephant pin? Give me a turtle and a Terry Pratchett quote in this vid and you're going to make me think that Firaxis is working on a Disc World strategy game :mischief:
View attachment 593585
If only Uberwald would be playable fraction I am in a hype train.

Yay!

Mapuche were my No.1 civ for rebalance. I'm glad it was featured in the first Apr update video. :clap:
Governor Titles will be a must for the Mapuche now. If you can get Victor in a conquered City, get the Embrasure Promotion, and build an Encampment with enough Buildings in it, you'll have an elite Army that will ravage your enemies.

I hope they don't replace all standalone unique units. Although I have to admit they are quite clunky to use effectively, but it is still a feature of Civ6 over Civ5. We know Mounties are still standalone, so that's good, but I hope they don't make changes to Samurai and Berserkers.
Well the Khevsur isn't a standalone unit any more, so I just assume the same. The difference is there isn't an universal light cavalry unit in the Modern Era, when the mountie comes.

Finally, researching Rifling provides... well... rifles!
I'm betting they come at military science where the Redcoats and Imperial Garde are already unlocked. :p

View attachment 593587
Part of me thinks that it used to be Armadas were unlocked at Nationalism? :dunno:

Also, it appears that they got rid of the +2 Loyalty from Missions in the Civ Ability and moved it to the Mission itself. Thank goodness for that...

This makes me hope that they will remove the extra food and science from Korea's CUA onto the Seowon, and give them an actual civ ability instead :mischief:

Also, maybe Korea will be interesting now? Gotta hope.

So does this mean that the Berserker, Khevsur, and Samurai will replace the Men-at-Arms, and the Garde Impériale and Redcoat will replace the Line Infantry?

So does this mean that the Berserker, Khevsur, and Samurai will replace the Men-at-Arms, and the Garde Impériale and Redcoat will replace the Line Infantry?
Given that in the description of the Khevsur it says it replaces the Men-at-Arms, I would support that.

Thats worth the 2 techs (you will need one later on in any game anyway) you need for this imo.

Personally, Military Tactics is the worst tech in the game. It's has a really restrictive Eureka as few civs actively want Spearmen and it's out of line with all of the other military techs. Assuming there isn't a change from the current tech tree, and I don't think there will be, I will just straight up say that putting a new melee unit in Military Tactics is actually just making the game worse regardless of what other benefits the unit has.

No, no. I'm pretty sure Spain had fleets & armadas with Mercantilism right from the start. Way back when.
This is not new. (Perhaps overlooked or forgotten?)
Although this now makes me wonder why Kevin emphasized the earlier Armadas and Fleets.

No, no. I'm pretty sure Spain had fleets & armadas with Mercantilism right from the start. Way back when.

Correct, they have always had both from Mercantilism because naval combat in the game is basically an afterthought.

Although this now makes me wonder why Kevin emphasized the earlier Armadas and Fleets.

He probably just misspoke.

Welp, considering how big this patch is going to be, I'd rather change it now than save everything for later :D

I hope they fix the quirks with Lautaro's ability. It actually doesn't consider the position of the killed unit, but the position of the Mapuche unit after the killing. Since melee units always displace killed units, this doesn't really matter, but for ranged, ranged Mapuche units actually need to stand inside enemy's borders for the negative Loyalty to apply. Weirdly enough, if a Mapuche ranged unit standing inside enemy's territory kill a unit, regardless of where this unit stands, the negative Loyalty applies.

It's been said already, but... Khmer.

They look much, much improved and lots of fun to play now. They were one of my favorite civs before, but I couldn't get past some of their glaring weakness, like the fact it was hard to put a holy site next to a river and get a decent adjacency bonus.

More importantly, there is now a reason to want populous cities.

Prasat looks strong too, especially with feed the world or choral music.

Well done.:goodjob:

Interesting. Looking back at the first look video they only say that Fleets are unlocked with Mercantilism, and say nothing about armadas. :crazyeye:

Top Bottom