1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] April Update Video

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Duke William of Normandy, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Ticio

Ticio Prince

The same, I reading all the posts because I never played with those factions before (except mapuche) so I have no idea what changed and I cannot have an opinion about them :(

2. Potworny

Potworny Warlord

Some sort of a strange continent? An elephant pin? Give me a turtle and a Terry Pratchett quote in this vid and you're going to make me think that Firaxis is working on a Disc World strategy game :mischief:
    upload_2021-4-12_19-29-4.png

nzcamel, Virdrago, Zegangani and 4 others like this.
  3. slavaskii

slavaskii Chieftain

I agree, but I think it's important to realize just how unique Canada's build order is. With the AI super unlikely to denounce and then formal war you, you can get away with ignoring building an army; I'd absolutely substitute a few slingers for an early builder or two. You still need to scout, as you'll be fairly isolated, but it's not like you have to settle anywhere else immediately to prevent the AI from doing so. With new Canada, you can stay in the tundra and build strong cities, whereas previously Canada needed to immediately find some way to leave.

But regarding their differentiation with Russia, maybe I don't play them right, but I always found them to have a really slow start no matter what. Even if they're not in tundra, there just doesn't seem to be much production or growth potential. Russia seems to be the civ to settle wide, whereas Canada is clearly the tall version of them now. Of course Russia has the Lavra which solves a lot of these problems, but that requires a lot of extra synergy with beliefs that Canada doesn't need to worry about.

4. PiR

PiR King Supporter

This look like an awesome update!
    I'm really eager to see the solved bugs :)

:lol: they are probably intentionnally playing with us and it works

not weird at all, those units are awesome additions!

Since GS, if you emit too much CO2 (specially with coal), it creates a garbage-plastic continent that falls into the water and makes the rest of the water in the world go higher. Wait, I'm the only one with that feature? :D

yes, thanks, I was wondering too, why is the video on 2K UK and not on https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWj7XnnfbKHGVnZ8iSoETSQ ? Is it to make us subscribe to more channels? :D it's going to work!

5. DogeEnricoDandolo

DogeEnricoDandolo King

I mean unique units at the start of their line are not really relevant for this discussion though, the main difference between a standalone unique and a regular unique is whether or not you can pre-build and upgrade into them, otherwise, two types are the same for strategic purposes.

6. OmegaDestroyer

OmegaDestroyer King

Excited for these changes. I am eager to see how they will balance dull civs and make them interesting to play (looking at you Korea).

7. InsidiousMage

InsidiousMage Prince

Eh, most domination civs are land based though so this is a major detour to pick up just one unit when everything is on the lower part of the tech tree.

8. kryat

kryat King

Summary of the changes to Spain’s trade route bonus:
    Before, same continent trade
    Domestic: base yield
    Foreign: base yield

Before, different continents
    Domestic: base, +1 food, +1 production
    Foreign: base, +6 gold

Now, same continent
    Domestic: base, +3 gold, +2 faith, +1 production
    Foreign: base, +3 gold, +2 faith, +1 production

Now, different continents
    Domestic: base, +9 gold, +6 faith, +3 production
    Foreign: base, +9 gold, +6 faith, +3 production

It’s hard to overstate how much of an improvement this is

9. Ticio

Ticio Prince

Is not there the supposed position of "Atlantis"? Maybe is a hint for the future

Pietato likes this.
  10. kotpeter

kotpeter Warlord

For those who were expecting more unique abilities for their beloved civs:

Creating a brand new ability more often than not requires a new ModifierType added to the game database (read: C++ code). And C++ programmers are probably working on new content (or even game) right now. Also, modifier game core is a much bigger hassle and may hurt game stability, so personally I'm fine with devs avoiding that for the upcoming free update.

It seems like designers apply existing modifiers in various combinations to balance existing civs and other objects in the game, and I'm very grateful that they've spent (a LOT of) time doing that, instead of just leaving the game for modders to balance. We're going to have a completely new meta in the game provided to us by the devs via a FREE update. Not to mention 3 new units! And probably more updates to come (either minor balance tweaks, or completely new content, who knows?)

Let's get excited for what's coming April 22nd and beyond!

P.S. Congrats to Carl on becoming a game designer! if he's indeed behind some of those changes to existing civs, man, you're doing Lord's work there!

Stilgar08, nauberry, Haig and 13 others like this.
  11. Duke William of Normandy

Duke William of Normandy King of England & Unofficial Welcoming Committee

As another person here stated, not as good as Portugal's scaling, but far more useable now. It makes it seems like actual Treasure Fleets are bringing the riches of the New World to Spain.

DefiantMars likes this.
  12. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

It opens a religious path for Georgia, which is fine. You can stack it with the Pantheon God of War too, giving you 100% bonus faith equal to strength of unit killed.

Rony used the words "Civilization Franchise" in the March Update.

Also, some Firaxis employees now have Space related backgrounds. SCHUSPISCHIOUS!!! (They may have had them for a while, I wouldn't know...)

And by some I basically mean Kevin. Also Jack Solomon who worked for Xcom and whose page I never visited but I needed a second person to justify the use of the words "some employees" rather than "an employee" to artificially inflate my claim.

13. Duke William of Normandy

Given how he said he was a big fan of the game, I wouldn't be surprised if he was.

Hellenism Salesman likes this.
  14. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

Yeah, Russia has a problem with food and growth - they really need to get those Lavra down and get Feed the World if they want to grow, or they go work ethic and just live with their cities being stuck at 4 pop forever, basically. They can still outpace everyone in those 4pop city production, since you can easily get a +6 lavra, so with the policy card and work ethic can be +12 production from that, plus their tiles giving them production and faith, can be getting 20+ production there.

But with Canada now able to get 4f farms and 3f camps in the tundra, that gives them at least a little flexibility to build up. Then if you have a few hills or mines that you can add too, you should be able to grow those cities a little better. Yes, it needs a builder to function, and you might still get stuck if you lack freshwater, but it should give you enough yields that with the builder getting the basic infrastructure down, you won't be stuck building a preserve for 40 turns quite as often as you used to.

15. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

I also think the changes to Spain's non capital continent cities can be very potent. Cheaper districts and extra builders should mean it's significantly easier to make self sufficient settlements.

16. PiR

PiR King Supporter

A video game version of The Expanse then?

cc @Francel

Francel likes this.
  17. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

And, it said the Trade Route bonus is "between Continents" so the trade routes you use to beef up those cities will be pretty beefy too.

18. Weraptor

Weraptor King

Finally, researching Rifling provides... well... rifles!

Haig, Kmart_Elvis, PiR and 4 others like this.
  19. AriaLyric

AriaLyric Nonbinary | Peaceful Builder Vietnam & Māori Main

If that does happen, I REALLY hope it's a buff and not a nerf. I don't want Sweden and Kongo to be the only remaining civs with some meaningful bonus to relics and Reliquaries-boosted culture strats.

nzcamel, PiR and Hellenism Salesman like this.
  20. Duke William of Normandy

I guess the Ranger doesn't exist then. :p

PiR likes this.