[NFP] April Update Video

I wish they updated the AI’s land war tactics. It’s so simple and easy to beat, and I play on Emperor.

Given how he said he was a big fan of the game, I wouldn't be surprised if he was.
Oh my goodness, I'm so dumb!!! Carl literally stated in the video that he helped with some of the designs. :p For those who need a timestamp, it's at 1:20. Good job, at @charrison.

Last edited:
Gorgo is getting buffed, right? Tamar has her ability, except with faith AND a boost similar to the Acropolis's envoy bonus. Gorgo needs a higher culture percentage to stay ahead of the powercreep.

Gorgo is getting buffed, right? Tamar has her ability, except with faith AND a boost similar to the Acropolis's envoy bonus. Gorgo needs a higher culture percentage imo.
Gorgo needs either something extra, or a new ability completely. Adding extra percentage sounds kinda bad. Vanilla Gorgo has some nice incentives for war, but Hoplites are so bad.

Gorgo needs either something extra, or a new ability completely. Adding extra percentage sounds kinda bad. Vanilla Gorgo has some nice incentives for war, but Hoplites are so bad.
Perhaps take away their Combat Malus against Melee Units?

Last edited:
I would like to see Greece ability to expand as well, maybe gets a second Wildcard policy slot while in a Golden Age and recieves a free great person of you choice everytime you pick a new gorvement for the first time (works like the era score thing were you only get it onces per specific era goverments) maybe recieves a second free great person of your choice if in a Golden Age.
AS for Gorgo, idk maybe increasing Culture given by kills if the unit that got the kill was a levied unit (to play more with the City-State focus of Greece), maybe increase military production in cities with an Acropolis? or more culture from kills during a Golden Age

I would like to see Greece ability to expand as well, maybe gets a second Wildcard policy slot while in a Golden Age and recieves a free great person of you choice everytime you pick a new gorvement for the first time (works like the era score thing were you only get it onces per specific era goverments) maybe recieves a second free great person of your choice if in a Golden Age.
AS for Gorgo, idk maybe increasing Culture given by kills if the unit that got the kill was a levied unit (to play more with the City-State focus of Greece), maybe increase military production in cities with an Acropolis? or more culture from kills during a Golden Age
Woah, hold on, Greece is already strong. That sounds stronger than Gran Colombia levels of OP.

Woah, hold on, Greece is already strong. That sounds stronger than Gran Colombia levels of OP.

I guess Gorgo seems worse because of how much better Pericles is in the long run? But I agree that Greece's basic kit is strong regardless of who leads them. The acropolis and a free wildcard slot is enough to make anyone a powerhouse.

I wasn't expecting to see this the first thing in the morning. Took me a while to get through all the discussion. I saw some users asking about before and after information. I don't feel like firing up my game to check there, so provided my notes from the previous patch are correct here are the comparisons for the abilities:

EDIT: I FORGOT CANANDA!!! Sorry, Canada T_T

[Canada]

Before - Wilfrid Laurier: The Last Best West
  • Can build Farms on Tundra tiles, and on Tundra Hills tiles with Civil Engineering.
  • Snow, Snow Hills, Tundra Hills, and Tundra tiles can be purchased at 50% of the Gold cost.
  • On those tiles, resources accumulate twice as fast, Mines and Lumber Mills receive +1 Production and Camps receive +1 Food.
After - Wilfrid Laurier: The Last Best West
  • Can build Farms on Tundra tiles, and on Tundra Hills tiles with Civil Engineering.
  • Snow, Snow Hills, Tundra Hills, and Tundra tiles cost 50% less Gold to purchase.
  • On those tiles, resources accumulate twice as fast, Mines and Lumber Mills receive +2 Production, and Camps and Farms receive +2 Food.
Unique Unit: Mountie
  • After: Build charges increased from 1 > 2.
[China]
Civilization Ability: Dynastic Cycle
  • Eurekas and Inspirations provide an extra 10% of the Science and Culture cost for researching technologies and civics.
  • After: Completing a Wonder grants a Eureka and Inspiration from that Wonder's era.
[Georgia]
Before - Tamar: Glory of the World, Kingdom and Faith
  • +100% Faith for the next 10 turns after declaring a Protectorate War.
  • Each Envoy sent to a city-state of Georgia's majority Religion counts as two Envoys.
After - Tamar: Glory of the World, Kingdom and Faith
  • Gains Faith from combat victories equal to 50% of the Combat Strength of the defeated unit.
  • Each Envoy sent to a city-state of Georgia's majority Religion counts as two Envoys.

[Khmer]
Before - Civilization Ability: Grand Barays
  • Aqueducts provide +3 Faith and +1 Amenity.
  • Farms receive +2 Food if adjacent to an Aqueduct.
After - Civilization Ability: Grand Barays
  • Cities with an Aqueducts receive 1 Amenity and 1 Faith for every Population.
  • Farms receive 2 Food if adjacent to an Aqueduct and 1 Faith if adjacent to a Holy Site.
Before - Jayavarman VII: Monasteries of the King
  • Holy Sites receive provide +2 Food and +1 Housing if adjacent to a river.
  • Building a Holy Site triggers a Culture Bomb, claiming surrounding tiles.
After - Jayavarman VII: Monasteries of the King
  • Holy Sites receive a major adjacency bonus from Rivers, 2 Housing if built on a River, and Food equal to its adjacency bonus.
  • Building a Holy Site triggers a Culture Bomb, claiming surrounding tiles.
Before: Unique Infrastructure: Prasat
  • +4 Faith
  • +1 Citizen slot
  • +1 Great Prophet point per turn.
  • +2 Relic slots.
  • Allows the purchasing of Apostles and Inquisitors with Faith.
  • Grants Martyr to all Missionaries purchased here.
After: Unique Infrastructure: Prasat
  • +6 Faith
  • +1 Citizen Slot
  • +1 Great Prophet point per turn.
  • +1 Relic slot
  • Allows the purchasing of Apostles and Inquisitors with Faith.
  • +0.5 Culture for every population in this city.
[Mapuche]
Before - Civilization Ability: Toqui
  • All units trained in cities with an established Governor gain +25% combat experience.
  • +10 Combat Strength bonus against civilizations that are in a Golden Age.
After - Civilization Ability: Toqui
  • Cities with an established Governor gain +5% Culture, +5% Production, and +10% combat experience towards all units trained in the city. These numbers are tripled in cities not founded by the Mapuche.
  • All cities within 9 tiles of a city with your Governor gain +4 Loyalty per turn towards your civilization.
Before - Lautaro: Swift Hawk
  • Defeating an enemy unit within the borders of an enemy city causes that city to lose 20 Loyalty.
  • Pillaging a tile within the borders of an enemy city causes that city to lose 5 Loyalty.
After - Lautaro: Swift Hawk
  • +10 Combat Strength when fighting civilizations that are in a Golden or Heroic Age, or Free Cities.
  • Defeating an enemy unit within the borders of an enemy city causes that city to lose 20 Loyalty, or 40 Loyalty if that civilization is in a Golden or Heroic Age.
Unique Improvement: Chemamull
  • Provides Culture equal to 75% of its tile's Appeal.
  • After: Additional +1 Production
[Spain]
Before - Civilization Ability: Treasure Fleet
  • May form Fleets and Armadas with Mercantilism, instead of Nationalism and Mobilization.
  • Trade Routes between cities on different continents gain +1 Food and +1 Production for domestic Trade Routes, and +6 Gold for international Trade Routes.
  • +2 Loyalty per turn for cities outside their home continent if they have a Mission adjacent to the City Center.
After - Civilization Ability: Treasure Fleet
  • May form Fleets and Armadas with Mercantilism, instead of Nationalism and Mobilization.
  • Trade Routes receive 3 Gold, 2 Faith and 1 Production. Trade Routes between cities on different continents gain triple these yields.
  • Cities not on your original Capital's continent receive 25% extra Production towards Districts and a Builder when founded.
Unique Unit: Conquistador
  • Spanish unique Renaissance era unit that replaces the Musketman.
  • Before: +10 Combat Strength when there is a Missionary, Inquisitor, or Apostle in the same hex.
  • After: +10 Combat Strength when there is a religious unit within one hex.
  • If this unit captures a city or is adjacent to a city when it is captured, the city will automatically adopt the Conquistador player's Religion as the dominant Religion.
Philip II: El Escorial
  • Before: All units receive +4 Combat Strength against civilizations following a different Religion.
  • After: All units receive +5 Combat Strength against civilizations following a different Religion.
  • Inquisitors have one extra use of their Remove Heresy ability and eliminate 100% presence of other Religions.

Last edited:
Thanks, @DefiantMars. This makes it much easier to compare the before and after Abilities without having to open Civ 6 to check.

Also, we can stop bullying Spain now, guys. :lol: They have been neither Portugaled nor Byzantined anymore.

My suggestion for a Gorgo buff:

"+3 Combat Strength for every City-State you are Suzerain of."

Helps enable war and ties into the Acropolis better.

And how about a Hoplite buff, too?

How about... +5 Combat Strength versus other unique units? Or, +5 Combat Strength versus units of civilizations with a stronger army. Just ideas.

How about... +5 Combat Strength versus other unique units? Or, +5 Combat Strength versus units of civilizations with a stronger army. Just ideas.
I feel as if that would fit a Falxmen Unit more if you know what I'm talking about. :mischief:

Now, the Chemamull seems like a much better immediate investment, but it will only give you that flat +1 Production and +3 Culture. It never gets better with technological research.

Not completely true, because you can get more than +3 culture from your chemamulls if you're really good at maximizing appeal. If you're doing it right you should be able to boost culture as the game progresses, even if it's not a simple "research X technology for +1 culture".

What starts as +3 (or in most cases +2) can (and should) eventually become +4 or even +5 culture each.

I think here is a little mistake, you dont get the adjacency right now.

Thanks for catching that. I was having trouble with the formatting, but I think I fixed everything including the typo.

Thanks, @DefiantMars. This makes it much easier to compare the before and after Abilities without having to open Civ 6 to check.

Also, we can stop bullying Spain now, guys. :lol: They have been neither Portugaled nor Byzantined anymore.

I still think El Escorial is rather bad (or at the very least could be a bit more flavorful), but at least the economic benefits and production towards overseas districts should let Spain be generalist enough to do cool things now.

I was not expecting the Khmer to get that much of a change. I was expecting/hoping for the river adjacency and maybe a small reward for large populations. Instead, they got baray-loads of food and faith. It sounds like its going to be beyond easy to run a Faith based economy.

Those Mapuche changes look terrifying and much more dynamic than before. Hopefully it plays better both to use and against.

[Mapuche]
Before - Civilization Ability: Toqui
  • All units trained in cities with an established Governor gain +25% combat experience.
  • +10 Combat Strength bonus against civilizations that are in a Golden Age.
After - Civilization Ability: Toqui
  • Cities with an established Governor gain +5% Culture, +5% Production, and +10% combat experience towards all units trained in the city. These numbers are tripled in cities not founded by the Mapuche.
  • All cities within 9 tiles of a city with your Governor gain +4 Loyalty per turn towards your civilization.
Before - Lautaro: Swift Hawk
  • Defeating an enemy unit within the borders of an enemy city causes that city to lose 20 Loyalty.
  • Pillaging a tile within the borders of an enemy city causes that city to lose 5 Loyalty.
After - Lautaro: Swift Hawk
  • +10 Combat Strength when fighting civilizations that are in a Golden or Heroic Age, or Free Cities.
  • Defeating an enemy unit within the borders of an enemy city causes that city to lose 20 Loyalty, or 40 Loyalty if that civilization is in a Golden or Heroic Age.

It's very interesting that they moved the "+10 Combat Strength bonus against civilizations that are in a Golden Age" from the Civ Ability to the Leader Ability. Given that it's unlikely for Mapuche to have an alternate leader, what's the point?

Top Bottom