[NFP] April Update Video

I hope the new Huge TSL Earth has Atlantis and the entire continent is floodable/submergeable and it's the way the devs are showing the finally fixed ultra huge map late game instability that was introduced with flooding.

Maybe Atlantis only appears when you use Heroes and Legends mode...

As weird as them now providing extra production? :p

I was thinking about it more towards using it as defensive loyalty (remembering your ancestors) instead of offensive loyalty, which are what all the other bonuses are geared towards.

I really like that, disappointed it didn't happen. We need a mod for this stat.

Did the Mapuche always have Combat Strength against Free Cities? Because if they didn't, that's a good way to keep those Free Cities that you could make disloyal and a good buff to the Mapuche.

Discounted faith purchases, bonuses to getting a Great Prophet and cheaper Holy Sites. Georgia's bonuses are nice but Renaissance Walls come too late in my opinion to be that useful. Honestly though, a religious win is my least favorite victory and I only do it with Mali since they have the faith generation and discounts to make it not a completely dragging grind in my experience.

I'll only build an unit with a CS quest if three or more ask for it and I wouldn't normally build it as it's not really worth the effort usually. Barb camps are a nice way to get the boost but, in my opinion, it's not really worth the effort to get those boosts unless you build the requisite units in multiples. But, either way, the Spearman is not a great domination unit and I don't think locking the new melee units behind an anti-cav tech is good game design if that is what ends up happening.

Spearman is like 260 gold, which isn't a bad price for a free envoy (plus getting a new quest next era), and if you can kill a unit, then the eureka is worth it for science. Never mind with the recent changes to melee units to have less bonus vs spears, they aren't quite the meat kills that they used to be. I'd rarely use them for my main offensive unit, but keeping one around doesn't hurt. And kind of like the eureka for 2 forts, I kind of hate these "throwaway" bonuses, where you just go out of your way to do something more or less useless just for a bonus. Obviously much better design are the stuff like build 2 workshops or 2 universities, which are things I will often do anything but might simply prioritize a little higher to speed up the eureka.

Mine +1 hammer
Chemamull +1hammer +3 culture

Officially: Mekewap dethroned for early game, Mekewap back to throne medieval/late classical

When they first came out, Mekewaps were super strong, but definitely fall back a little with everything else seeming to get stronger around them. It definitely wouldn't surprise me though if they were another UI that gets a small boost. I could definitely see them either get a base food bonus to them, or possibly to increase the default gold bonus on them, if they want to make them more useful. Could definitely see them be something like "+1 food. +1 production. +2 gold if next to a luxury" by default, and still growing stronger as you get later in the game.

I'm pretty sure they mentioned that it was a new feature in the video. Which is to say, I have no idea. Maybe it's like Spain's fleets and armadas at mercantilism.
I'm almost positive they didn't have it before - I remember hearing people complain about that - basically you get this great bonus against civs in a golden age, flip the city, and now you have to re-defeat the walls and no longer get a combat bonus.

I'm almost positive they didn't have it before - I remember hearing people complain about that - basically you get this great bonus against civs in a golden age, flip the city, and now you have to re-defeat the walls and no longer get a combat bonus.
Well then, it seems like the Mapuche's woes have been dampened significantly.

Mine +1 hammer

Officially: Mekewap dethroned for early game, Mekewap back to throne medieval/late classical

To be fair, it's only +3 culture on breathtaking tiles, which you may not have many of early in the game and with limited options to improve appeal at that point. You'll have to hope the map generator is kind to you in order to really take advantage of them early (which is true now as well). Mapuche do have a mountain bias I believe, but if the map surrounds them with jungle or floodplains that can counteract that.

I always go straight for city parks when I've played Mapuche. Preserves could help too, though if you're sticking chemamulls around them you won't want to bother with the buildings... probably not worth the district slot.

Even 1 breathtaking chemamull per city would put them ahead of Rome for early culture generation without hurting production. I imagine there will be maps where you get screwed but that seems achievable. It's not like Australia can never find district spots...

I think I’ll try Tamar first with barb clans on.

Go hunting after some barbs so I can get a quick pantheon and also maybe use the faith to buy my prophet quicker? Or use it for my monumentality golden age ?

Oof. I hadn't thought of how much fun it's going to be to score a monumentality after an early AI war as Georgia. They love to throw free kills at you!

Men at Arms and Line Infantry Units!
Why would Line Infantry dress in different uniforms? The whole idea of being in line was to be a point in line, same exact uniform, same exact maneuvers, acting and looking the same in contrast to disorganized rabble. Like Shaka would say, Always wise to purge the rabble. Why allow your forces to keep their identity? They should band together to serve one will—yours.

Why would Line Infantry dress in different uniforms? The whole idea of being in line was to be a point in line, same exact uniform, same exact maneuvers, acting and looking the same in contrast to disorganized rabble. Like Shaka would say, Always wise to purge the rabble. Why allow your forces to keep their identity? They should band together to serve one will—yours.
I guess it identifies the different... regiments...??? :dunno:

Well that is a.. pretty damn massive patch
Well, they promised us the biggest community patch yet, and so far they've delivered. Pretty excited about the other changes as well.

Reactions: PiR
Maybe King Carl (promoted from QA lead to Junior dev? Big congrats to him!) has looked upon his loyal subjects with favor - It may have taken 4 years of petulant whining on these forums, but they are finally adding the 3 units I have always said were needed, and it appears at the strength values I hoped for as well.

I am most pleased. Maybe my extensive postings on how unit strengths should progress actually had an impact. I like to think it was become some of the charts were color coded.

Forum dreams are more than memes, lads.

If the actual patch notes greatly diverge from this then I will start screeching on the floor

As another person here stated, not as good as Portugal's scaling, but far more useable now. It makes it seems like actual Treasure Fleets are bringing the riches of the New World to Spain.

Portugal VS Spain now has have been for a long time :p

Mine +1 hammer

Y'know, this actually brings up an interesting question. In the early game, what should you build first on a Breathtaking hill?

A mine, while seeming like the obviously worse option, actually has some things going for it. First of all, it's going to scale later into the game, and can contribute to important tech boosts (like Apprenticeship). Additionally, if its built in a city with a governor, that extra bit of production is going to be boosted, thanks to Toqui's new buff. Though, you must consider it worsens the appeal of adjacent tiles, reducing the number of Chemamull spots.

Now, the Chemamull seems like a much better immediate investment, but it will only give you that flat +1 Production and +3 Culture. It never gets better with technological research. It's an obvious question if you're going for a Culture Victory, but with Mapuche's other bonuses it does complicate things. If you're going for Domination (which is what most of their bonuses suggest you should) then perhaps that extra Production later on would be more valuable to you to help strengthen your army or tend to your Amenity-craving cities. But we should also remember that both the production and the culture from Chemamull's will be buffed in cities with Governors.

So overall... I think the Chemamull is the better choice unless that city is incredibly production starved or you want some minor Industrial Zone adjacency. But it now feels like the Mapuche are a strong Domination civ with a unique city-flipping playstyle that wants to play like an environmentalist, preserving the land to ensure they don't have to worry about building Theater Squares. So... Domination with no worry about low culture? Sounds great!

Now... can we please add Gorgo to that niche?

Top Bottom