[NFP] April Update Video

The additional units are a really welcome addition. I have been using the Steel and Thunder mod more or less religiously so I've enjoyed comparable units for a long time anyway.

I hope if they do another set of patches they would add a set of medieval ships as well. Since they even emphasised the improvement to naval AI, I think the normal unit gap is going to be really obvious.

I'm mainly just looking forward to the patch notes for now.

Maybe firaxis is going to make a mythological civ game, similar to Age of Mythology. Primarily using the same mechanics, but with mythological/semi-mythological civs instead of historical ones. Think Atlantis, Tuatha De Danann, Amazons, and maybe even divine civs based on the pantheons of certain religions. Something like that would be cool.

I'm pretty sure a lot of the ultra-realists on this forum would reply with "But, wasn't that the new frontier pass?" *removes tongue from cheek*

I'm pretty sure a lot of the ultra-realists on this forum would reply with "But, wasn't that the new frontier pass?" *removes tongue from cheek*
What if, hear me out, those features from the NFP were tests to see if they could pull it off?

I think we're deffo getting something fantasy.

My question is whether they'll approach this as an xpack or as an spinoff. Cuz CivBE did get a lot of crap for "feeling like an xpack"

• Sid Meiers Civilizations: Atlantis is the new spin off (Based on: "More stuff is coming for the civ franchise" + the Atlantis hint). Could also be a general fanatasy spin-off with Atlantis as one of the civs.
  • Season 2 is coming (Based on: "final update of this season")

I think it's clear from all they've said that there's no season 2 planned. Portugal proves that as well.

BUT they haven't permanently closed that door either, hence the choice of words "season", etc.

They know there's still demand for more DLC at the present time, so they might re-evaluate in the future.

I don't expect another 8-Civ/8-Mode Pass though, but I do hope for a handful more DLC.

Maybe firaxis is going to make a mythological civ game, similar to Age of Mythology. Primarily using the same mechanics, but with mythological/semi-mythological civs instead of historical ones. Think Atlantis, Tuatha De Danann, Amazons, and maybe even divine civs based on the pantheons of certain religions. Something like that would be cool.

Heroes of Might and Magic as well, which was also tile/turn based with a greater focus on tactical combat. Jake Solomon might be involved in the new IP, which might suggest a game with tactical elements.

Age of Wonders III is six years old now and Triumph studios went Sci-Fi in the latest iteration.

I don't know, but it's looking like 2021 will be a good year for strategy fans.

Last edited:
Firaxis ARE currently demonstrating improved skills at trolling people...

I'd prefer a civ6 version of SMAC, but a fantasy civ wouldn't be awful.
I don't know what "ultra-realist" is in not wanting fantasy features in a base game (not even modes). It sounds like something radical, but it isn't.
If Atlantis would be a part of some spin-off, then ok, but Atlantis as a playable Civ in the main franchise "Civilization" is a step too far. A Historical based game "not historical simulation" is a core identity of the game that should be kept. It is nothing radical in it. :D

Maybe it’s a second pass but Atlantis is somehow incorporated into the title?

Kind of fits the exploration/hic sunt dracones theme of the game

Now that I’ve had a day to stop fuming over my disappointment of the Georgia change which I was so looking forward too hearing about (more on this in a bit), I’ll offer my brief thoughts on the update in general.

The new units sound terrific but I am worried about implementation. I may have missed this, but do swordsmen upgrade to men-at-arms because it feels like there is a short period of time between them. Stuff like that.

The changes to Spain, Khmer, and Mapuche are very interesting and in many ways a complete overhaul of many aspects to make them much more feasible. Mapuche especially since I always found them to feel like they just never worked. I look forward to playing them the most. Also, even little changes to other Civs will add more flavor to go back and keep playing them.

The Huge World map sounds terrific except I only play on Switch (the ability to play on the go is wonderful) and I highly doubt it’s powerful enough to support it. Phooey.

All in all, this update looks terrific and I am eager to play it.

So why am I so disappointed with the change to my favorite Civ, Georgia which is why I came away from the update video just deflated yesterday. It’s much better than what they had before, which was powerful but a rare occurrence that many a game you would never even activate. This new ability is there from turn one and can reap oodles of Faith early on. I’ve also always said I pretty much liked Georgia how they were, so why be disappointed with much better ability than before?

It mostly comes down to it feeling like they just didn’t put much thought into it while they did the other Civs, especially Mapuche and Khmer which feel “reinvented”. This is especially after it was called in the video the “much debated Georgia”. Slapping Gorgo’s ability (but with Faith) just seems uninspired when the “debate” had so many creative and workable ideas. Heck, the Dramatic Ages ability was so creative I was sure there would be a neat fix to their flaws.

Now that a day has passed and I’ve read the positive and negative reactions to her new ability, I’ve come to the “it is what it is and it’s better than before” opinion. Oh well.

The update in entirety looks cool. Can’t wait for the 22nd.

Now that I’ve had a day to stop fuming over my disappointment of the Georgia change which I was so looking forward too hearing about (more on this in a bit), I’ll offer my brief thoughts on the update in general.

The new units sound terrific but I am worried about implementation. I may have missed this, but do swordsmen upgrade to men-at-arms because it feels like there is a short period of time between them. Stuff like that.

The changes to Spain, Khmer, and Mapuche are very interesting and in many ways a complete overhaul of many aspects to make them much more feasible. Mapuche especially since I always found them to feel like they just never worked. I look forward to playing them the most. Also, even little changes to other Civs will add more flavor to go back and keep playing them.

The Huge World map sounds terrific except I only play on Switch (the ability to play on the go is wonderful) and I highly doubt it’s powerful enough to support it. Phooey.

All in all, this update looks terrific and I am eager to play it.

So why am I so disappointed with the change to my favorite Civ, Georgia which is why I came away from the update video just deflated yesterday. It’s much better than what they had before, which was powerful but a rare occurrence that many a game you would never even activate. This new ability is there from turn one and can reap oodles of Faith early on. I’ve also always said I pretty much liked Georgia how they were, so why be disappointed with much better ability than before?

It mostly comes down to it feeling like they just didn’t put much thought into it while they did the other Civs, especially Mapuche and Khmer which feel “reinvented”. This is especially after it was called in the video the “much debated Georgia”. Slapping Gorgo’s ability (but with Faith) just seems uninspired when the “debate” had so many creative and workable ideas. Heck, the Dramatic Ages ability was so creative I was sure there would be a neat fix to their flaws.

Now that a day has passed and I’ve read the positive and negative reactions to her new ability, I’ve come to the “it is what it is and it’s better than before” opinion. Oh well.

The update in entirety looks cool. Can’t wait for the 22nd.

I guess one thing which I thought when I first saw Georgia 2.0 was that unlike Khmer, Mapuche or Canada this was going to play quite differently to how it did before. The others were reworked but their fundamental playstyle remained. For Georgia the faith from kills seemed to be encouraging a much more aggressive game.

But after some thought I am less sure. The faith from kills ties well into their defensive nature. Every unit they kill with walls will provide a faith boost (right?) and just killing a few Barbarians will get Georgia up and running with a Pantheon. Meanwhile having a solid, constant supply of faith really lets Georgia leverage Monumentality or Exodus of the Evangelists. So, honestly I'm guessing they'll still be a defensive powerhouse looking to get what they can from golden ages. Just maybe a little more likely to start conflict than they were before...

Maybe it’s a second pass but Atlantis is somehow incorporated into the title?

Kind of fits the exploration/hic sunt dracones theme of the game

"Jason Momoa leads Atlantis in Sid Meier's Civilization 6"

I guess one thing which I thought when I first saw Georgia 2.0 was that unlike Khmer, Mapuche or Canada this was going to play quite differently to how it did before. The others were reworked but their fundamental playstyle remained. For Georgia the faith from kills seemed to be encouraging a much more aggressive game.

But after some thought I am less sure. The faith from kills ties well into their defensive nature. Every unit they kill with walls will provide a faith boost (right?) and just killing a few Barbarians will get Georgia up and running with a Pantheon. Meanwhile having a solid, constant supply of faith really lets Georgia leverage Monumentality or Exodus of the Evangelists. So, honestly I'm guessing they'll still be a defensive powerhouse looking to get what they can from golden ages. Just maybe a little more likely to start conflict than they were before...

Agreed. Early game, I’m constantly fighting neighbors and barbarians to expand my empire before switching to defensive and diplomacy/cultural so this is a nice and useful change even if you stop being aggressive once you’ve reached the limits of empire expansion. The defensive capabilities is a good thought. I admit it is a good ability to have, just uninspired.

The hidden really good news about this ability and an early choice of pantheon is that you can grab Divine Spark before anyone else does and that takes care of the “Georgia has no bonuses to getting a religion” issue. It does require you to forego other pantheons but it essentially guarantees you a religion.

I see why some people is dissapointed but to me also it seems like a solid update, I think It will play out better than it reads. You'll have to be more agresive early game to hunt barbarians and maybe harass a neighboor to keep farming faith, but early pantheon + strong faith generation + monumentality sounds about right.

Yeah, that's a problem with getting "x on kills", apart from at the very beginning when you kill the first couple of barbarians (that can be a nice boost!), you just don't kill enough units regularly enough to make a massive impact on the game. I like the idea behind the mechanic, but it ends up largely being irrelevant, especially towards the end. Like let's say that you're on Huge Earth TSL and about to start converting the final civ, can you imagine how many units you'd have to slaughter just to get a free missionary after having had to use so many to convert all the other cities? Just as an example, you'd have to kill 3 GDRs to get a free missionary, assuming you've never recruited a missionary before. Good luck with that.

I think that's the point of the ability though - it's not to generate a massive amount of faith throughout the game (that's what you have Tsikhe and envoys to religious CS's for), but to get you early faith generation. That turns into your pick of pantheons, extra faith to put towards buying a GP, buying your first (or second) missionary - all of which, crucially for Georgia, help you get into and keep a Golden Age.

I think that's the point of the ability though - it's not to generate a massive amount of faith throughout the game (that's what you have Tsikhe and envoys to religious CS's for), but to get you early faith generation. That turns into your pick of pantheons, extra faith to put towards buying a GP, buying your first (or second) missionary - all of which, crucially for Georgia, help you get into and keep a Golden Age.

What I love about coming to and reading these forums is to get a better idea and understanding of how abilities can work when I don’t fully grasp the overall deeper concept from my initial reading. Though I’m still not inspired by the lack of “flavor”, I am seeing much more of the benefits of Tamar’s new ability now - Divine Spark (guaranteed religion) or God of War, Monumentality, lots of early Faith, extra Faith from defensive wars, etc. - than I did when I first saw it. I’ve gone from not really thrilled to excited to play now.

Last edited:
I think it's clear from all they've said that there's no season 2 planned. Portugal proves that as well.
I reckon the exact opposite, the emphasis on "season" and the commercial success of NFP mean I would be astonished if we don't get at least one more Season.

Where's the Atlantis stuff coming from?
The icon for Huge Earth TSL map has a mysterious continent where Atlantis is supposed to be. IMO a hint at the next Season/a new Civ game a la Alpha Centauri.

I think the TSL map? Wouldn't be the first time civ fanatics has gone into overdrive over a few stray pixels.
It's notna few stray pixels though. Could be a bug, but there's definitely something wrong with that map.

Where's the Atlantis stuff coming from?

The icon for Huge Earth TSL map has a mysterious continent where Atlantis is supposed to be. IMO a hint at the next Season/a new Civ game a la Alpha Centauri.

Also, Kevin was wearing an elephant pin on his sweater (Plato said that elephants were native to Atlantis).

Top Bottom