[NFP] April Update Video

Before people jump the gun; remember this is before the patch notes. This isn't taking into account a metagame change due to policies, technologies, etc. Georgia, for example, became stronger with Monarchy as a whole and the Khevsur, believe it or not, was a very solid unit.

Firaxis is also a fan of shadow changes.

Spain becomes very powerful now. Double Ancestral Hall.
Also its new giant trade route bonus makes other civs' trade route bonuses look inferior.
The mission is also a large powerhouse now.
Combined with its already top-tier UU, I guess Spain is the 2nd Civ now. (1st still Babylon if it remains unchanged)

Canada has some interesting strength.

So as Khmer. Khmer now have some insane yields for its UB and AQ. Unsure how much its UU is bonused. Trebuchet has 35 melee strength(45 bombard I guess?), so the Domrey will be higher than that. (Currently 33/45, so there'll be a large boost for Domrey.) Also , as it replaces Trebuchet now we can upgrade it from Catapult. Another good news.

China is boosted, but not very much actually. We usually completed techs and civics of an era before we finish wonders of that era (as wonders are very costly and cost a lot of turns)

Mapuche seems very interesting. +4 loyalty towards you for all cities within 9 tiles, this means if you put 7 governors near to an enemy city that city will receive -28 loyalty per turn, insane. Advanced Eleanor.

But be careful not to let your suzerained CS rebel.

Georgia, add a +50% faith for defeated units ability , not sure how much it contributes, maybe quicker pantheon? Can you defeat 50-strength units in very early game to accelerate your pantheon?

But it's weird to me that China is boosted

Probably to make Dynastic Cycle more useful since it's one of those nice but not really noticeable abilities.

Personally, so far the Khmer are the only civ I feel like revisiting. I've played as Spain before but not Canada or Mapuche and the changes don't really make me want to. I play on Emperor and don't really need ways to make the game easier which is what those new abilities do. Khmer are now more interesting and I hope most of the changes are in that direction instead of just simple buffs that make the game easier to win but not more interesting to play.

Spain becomes very powerful now. Double Ancestral Hall.
Also its new giant trade route bonus makes other civs' trade route bonuses look inferior.
The mission is also a large powerhouse now.
I guess Spain is the 2nd Civ now. (1st still Babylon if it remains unchanged)

Canada has some interesting strength.

So as Khmer. Khmer now have some insane yields for its UB and AQ. Unsure how much its UU is bonused. Trebuchet has 35 melee strength(45 bombard I guess?), so the Domrey will be higher than that. (Currently 33/45, so there'll be a large boost for Domrey.) Also , as it replaces Trebuchet now we can upgrade it from Catapult. Another good news.

China is boosted, but not very much actually. We usually completed techs and civics of an era before we finish wonders of that era (as wonders are very costly and cost a lot of turns)

Mapuche seems very interesting. +4 loyalty towards you for all cities within 9 tiles, this means if you put 7 governors near to an enemy city that city will receive -28 loyalty per turn, insane.

Georgia, add a +50% faith for defeated units ability , not sure how much it contributes.
We're not actually sure if the Ancestral Hall stacks with Spain's Ability yet. We'll see, though. I agree with everything else, though.

Given the language of Firaxis and their staff about this update, I wouldn't really take "final game update" statement at face value. :p

It seems like the only person who is convinced this is the final update is Kevin Schultz himself. Which to me sounds like it's an internal company struggle on the issue and Kevin might have more knowledge on corporate's plans to shut things down than the other devs. That's at least what it seems like from the outside looking in.

It seems like the only person who is convinced this is the final update is Kevin Schultz himself. Which to me sounds like it's an internal company struggle on the issue and Kevin might have more knowledge on corporate's plans to shut things down than the other devs. That's at least what it seems like from the outside looking in.

I doubt the people in the video were allowed to say whatever they wanted. They probably got pretty clear instructions about what they could and could not say.

It seems to be the final free update. Is it the final update, or does that mean we have to pay for all future updates?

Hope this update won't be so bugggggggy like the developer team used to do.

I doubt the people in the video were allowed to say whatever they wanted. They probably got pretty clear instructions about what they could and could not say.

I'm sure they did, which makes it even weirder because Kevin himself has so much input/control in the update videos. It's like he still wants the update videos to be ambiguous but is totally fine doling out the harsh truth in his own social media.

I still think, looking at what is in the April update and what is still missing in the game, that they have room for and were likely planning a second season. But the fact that one of their leaders is consistently sandbagging that speculation makes me suspect that there is a conflict between the devs and Firaxis corporate as to whether to continue.

I'm sure they did, which makes it even weirder because Kevin himself has so much input/control in the update videos. It's like he still wants the update videos to be ambiguous but is totally fine doling out the harsh truth in his own social media.
I also wonder WHEN the videos were shot, and that maybe they don't want to include things they may need to remove/update at the last minute.

Re: Spain

The interpreted importance of Spain unlocking Fleets and Armadas at Mercantilism is being overlooked.

As it stands, at Mercantilism, Spain can create Fleets and Armadas, but cannot realistically hard build them, as you require the Seaport for both of them. This means that you have to wait for Electricity. Spain can currently still form Armadas and Fleets, but must do so manually.

Re: Spain

The interpreted importance of Spain unlocking Fleets and Armadas at Mercantilism is being overlooked.

As it stands, at Mercantilism, Spain can create Fleets and Armadas, but cannot realistically hard build them, as you require the Seaport for both of them. This means that you have to wait for Electricity. Spain can currently still form Armadas and Fleets, but must do so manually.
This was its Vanilla Ability, so it's nothing shocking or new. :p

I also wonder WHEN the videos were shot, and that maybe they don't want to include things they may need to remove/update at the last minute.

Fair point. I think it is safe to say that earlier update videos were shot individually given how low budget they were. But the later videos do seem to have been filmed at a central location so they could have easily knocked out a few of them at once.

Mapuche seems very interesting. +4 loyalty towards you for all cities within 9 tiles, this means if you put 7 governors near to an enemy city that city will receive -28 loyalty per turn, insane. Advanced Eleanor.

I thought that the +4 loyalty acted like Victor's Garrison Commander but you make it sound like it acts like Amani's Emissary and will exert negative loyalty pressure on adjacent cities. Why do you interpret it that way?

Georgia, add a +50% faith for defeated units ability , not sure how much it contributes, maybe quicker pantheon? Can you defeat 50-strength units in very early game to accelerate your pantheon?
People underestimate this faith for killing units buff for Georgia. Killing Scout is over half of the faith required for Pantheon. I would say you have a guaranteed first pantheon with Georgia, which means a free settler. So basically with Georgia, you will play on half lower difficulty level. Perhaps not very flashy, but quite strong.

People underestimate this faith for killing units buff for Georgia. Killing Scout is over half of the faith required for Pantheon. I would say you have a guaranteed first pantheon with Georgia, which means a free settler. So basically with Georgia, you will play on half lower difficulty level. Perhaps not very flashy, but quite strong.

You need to kill 5 scouts to get a pantheon for Georgia I guess.

Scout has 10 combat strength. On standard speed, you'd get 5 Faith from killing it, which nets you 20% of pantheon cost (which is 25 Faith).

Top Bottom