1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Are city-states getting all clustered together now? (Fractal)

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Dearmad, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Dearmad

Dearmad Dead weight

I notice there are large areas with none, and then wham! It's like an entire nation of them all packed tightly together. So far on three maps this has happened.

2. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Civ IV Emperor EQM Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

Seen quite a bit of this on Archipelago / Islands Plates - islands with 2 or 3 city states on them, I quite like it.

Icicle and jozef57 like this.
  3. Gehennas

Gehennas Warlord

Thought this was always a thing. I remember the Islands covered by 4-5 City States

4. Hans Castorp

Hans Castorp Warlord

I've seen this a few time as well, on Pangaea and Continents. Some continents have no CS, some 1-2, then one will have 6. Annoying when you try and play Hungary and don't find any CS for 100 turns....

5. MarigoldRan

MarigoldRan WARLORD

Yes. You either get 0-1 CSes, or you get like 10. Makes maps totally unbalanced.

6. TomKQT

TomKQT Prince

In my first GS game (continents, standard size), I didn't find a single CS on my starting huge landmass, which means I played for few hours without meeting any CS at all. I started to think that there is some bug in the game settings, because I certainly didn't change the number of CS to zero, and I didn't check the screen.
    I'll post a screenshot when I come home.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  7. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

Weren't they always clustered together? Seems like there were always a bunch off on their own little continent.

8. Hans Castorp

Hans Castorp Warlord

Yes, that's an established pattern. But I don't remember Pangaea maps having a huge cluster at one end of the super-continent, and none at all at the other.

9. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I'm currently playing on a continents map and there is a supercluster of city-states on a peninsula. They were packed so tightly that one was unable to found its city and I snagged its settler.

Noble Zarkon and legalizefreedom like this.
  10. Kopernikus1979

Kopernikus1979 Chieftain

Same here, with continents, 9 quite next to each other.

11. oedali

oedali King

Same, continents standard map, just found 7 clustered together on a different continent.

I believe it's due to the fact that the ones that are not clustered tend to get eaten up by the AI (on deity at least) so only the ones on their own continent have a chance to survive.

12. lordhaw

lordhaw Chieftain

I've found this as well. Last game, about half of the city-states were off to themselves on their own small continent (or large island, not certain which) with no AI players at all. The AI and myself were on two other large continents with the rest of the city states, most of which got gobbled up by the AI. That was a standard size continent map. My current game is not like that though.

13. Canadian Bluebeer

Canadian Bluebeer Prince

Clustered at bottom of my continent, bit more scattered on the others.

14. DrJambo

DrJambo Crash-test dummy

Yup, seen this in both the games I’ve played! All clustered together on one continent while many of the civs on the other. Seems a bit imbalanced to me. In one game I got the first met bonus for around 6 city states, which is a huge advantage.

15. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

A big question I have is should I restart if I find the city-states all clustered together? Or is the result not a big deal or so common that it can't be avoided?

I'm really hoping @Gedemon can fix this with YnAMP.

16. Dearmad

Dearmad Dead weight

OK so this doesn't seem to be WAD anymore to me.

17. ExemplarVoss

ExemplarVoss Prince

Yeah, same. What I've seen doesn't look new to me. I mostly play fractal

18. purringcat

purringcat Chieftain

I played continents with 12 CS. Eight of them were bunched on one continent while almost all the Leaders were on another continent with just three CS. One CS was on a lone island. The eight that were crunched on the small continent, were all within six tiles of each other and the two civs were at the far end ... quite a distance from the CS. This seems to be the norm in every map I play.

19. Dearmad

Dearmad Dead weight

Well all of this flies in the face of this patch note:

"Spread out all Civilization and City-State starting positions where possible when generating the map."

Aristos likes this.
  20. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

I play continents and I thought they were more clustered than normal. Now I suspect there is less land than there used to be.