Are "Civ" players also "Pirates!" players?

Are you interested in Sid Meier's Pirates!, Firaxis's next release?

• Yes! I'm a big Pirates! fan, and I'm looking forward to it.

Votes: 254 37.5%
  • Yes! I'm not really a Pirates! fan, but I'll try it because it's a Sid Meier game.

Votes: 116 17.1%
  • Maybe. I'm interested in trying Pirates!, but just because I like good games, and not really becaus

Votes: 90 13.3%
  • No! That's a completely different game. My game time is reserved for Civ.

Votes: 60 8.9%
  • Uhhhh... never heard of it until now. What's Pirates! about?

Votes: 157 23.2%

• Total voters
Of course I played Pirates as a kid and am a HUGE FAND ( but you knew that already Jeff ;) ) BTW hows that "official" site coming along?

Porthos

Pirates! was the first game I got addicted to when I was a child. IMHO, it was the best game ever, even beats Civ!

Hey Jeff,

As a member of the "over-twenty gaming crowd" that Sid mentioned asking for Pirates when the game was announced, I'll buy it on release day.

I think it might be one of the few things to pull me away from Star Wars Galaxies and CivIII.

Malgg

I crashed my 286 with the walk-on-the-north-or-south-pole-bug with Civ 1 and 10 Years after. I go tranzendenz with the fungus..
sooo if it is an SID, it is one of the BEST. sorry but .. if it is an atari ... I don`t know ....
mfg hulk

Played Pirates way back when..... It was the game that me and my brothers first did full-out competition at... and I'm still the better swordsman!

I've heard about it, I have tried it, but I wasn't too much into it. I know some civ-players would propably donate a kidney for pirates! update, but I have to say I'm not one of them.

gimme Master of Magic instead :mischief:

Originally posted by aaglo
gimme Master of Magic instead :mischief: [/B]

Now that's a fantastic game too... :) :) :)

As to not make this post off topic: Pirates! rocks, but I've already said so before. ;)

I only first played Pirates! a little while ago, one of my many civ-addicted friends discovered it somewhere so we played at school a little. I am very much looking forward to a new and (hopefully) improved game, with the same addictive gameplay. Long live Pirates, Civ and Sid!

Hi!
Pirates was a very unique game experience and that still haven't changed, since most games on the market tries to copy some other game. I'd like a new pirates, but I've got a lot of expectations, Although as always, you're not even aiming at people my age. I'm 26 and a gamer. There are lot's of gamers my age in Sweden...
People don't tend to think about that when they make games though. Many games are instead intended for minors. Pirates is a old game, that would appeal greatly towards the older gamers, but in the end we don't expect anyone to realise this...
My main point is, I will buy this game, but I don't know if I'm going to like playing it.
Games for older people tends to have more focus on details for all that doesn't know this. Probably not the developers, since they are quite old themselves, hopefully anyways, you never know these days...

Originally posted by rschissler

Huh? The SeaDogs sea battles were the greatest, and I would hope that Pirates II would try to emulate that part of it.

As noted then it is a matter of debate. I thought it sucked big time. It took a freakin' eternity to get in position and so on, sure it might have been "realistic" (but I doubt it), but it didn't make for great gameplay and feeling. The only redeeming feature of that game was the music on the pirates island. It is just a fact that no Pirate type game have even come close to the original Pirates! They all fail in comparrison.

I'm also one of those who played Pirates back then and loved it (I'm 27 now) so there is a high possibility that I will buy this new version. As long as the 3d-aspect doesn't take over and screw the game (like it screwed Railroad Tycoon 3) I will almost certainly get it.

Originally posted by Hurricane
I'm also one of those who played Pirates back then and loved it (I'm 27 now) so there is a high possibility that I will buy this new version. As long as the 3d-aspect doesn't take over and screw the game (like it screwed Railroad Tycoon 3) I will almost certainly get it.

I indeed hope there will not be too much focus on 3D and stuff like that. Better AI is way more important to me (and IMO most of the Civfans) then better graphics. Graphics can always be better, but don't make it into some sort of C&C, or something.

I still remember my first game of Pirates! when it just came out on Amiga. It was great. Sailed around as a French privateer and attacking those Spanish war galleons. The relatively simple graphics of the cool map-sellers or informants were good for the overall feel of the game. Only thing that bothered me was the numb hand after fighting 4 captains in a row. And the v\crew became unhappy VERY fast. You sometimes couldn't even go for a short trip without your adjudant telling you the crewis unhappy and needs a fight.

While you're on it, could you make a new Colonization and SMAC too? ;)

No, I'm a disgruntled Mac Civ user - I'm prefer playing games by developers that support the customer, like CM4 and the fantastic EU2

Originally posted by Gainy bo
I'll be getting it, yes :)
My interest isn't really inter-related with Civ, I just like the idea of sailing around being pirate-y :)

Yup -- me too! I'm 40+ and my son (16) and I are planning on getting it and playing. We both play CivIII, too.

Yo -- Gainy bo, where'd you get a picture of my mouse pad?? :)

Hi,

i'm 29 years old and i can say i'm growing up with Pirates! on my first computer an "good old bread-box C-64". It was one of the most popular games. I think it's about 15 years back .... ohh **** i can't believe :confused:

I think i try it ;)

Originally posted by valamas

Ahh, played both of those on C64. Im 28 now, so i guess i was early teen then. Sing it "Memmmoriesssss....."

I recently downloaded a C64 emulator and played pirates again. It was magic! Can't wait for the new one. I also played "Pirates of the Caribbean" was an ok game, too much must follow the story, not enough freedom. But there was a way to create some freedom.

I've done the same and i have to tell you it's amazing to play the original Pirates! with an emulator. Fun, Fun, Fun and try Bubble Bobble too.......:king:

Pirates! rocked on my AMIGA, and I will pick the new version up also.

I rarely buy games without trying a demo or reading a lot of reviews, but Pirates! is one of those times I would just go out and buy it no-questions-asked.

Only other games in can remember in recent times like this are Morrowind and Civilization 3

man, I played Pirates! constantly... I love it soo much and I could only play it on my Mac (ugh). I cant wait for the release...

Top Bottom