Are "Civ" players also "Pirates!" players?

Are you interested in Sid Meier's Pirates!, Firaxis's next release?

• Yes! I'm a big Pirates! fan, and I'm looking forward to it.

Votes: 254 37.5%
  • Yes! I'm not really a Pirates! fan, but I'll try it because it's a Sid Meier game.

Votes: 116 17.1%
  • Maybe. I'm interested in trying Pirates!, but just because I like good games, and not really becaus

Votes: 90 13.3%
  • No! That's a completely different game. My game time is reserved for Civ.

Votes: 60 8.9%
  • Uhhhh... never heard of it until now. What's Pirates! about?

Votes: 157 23.2%

• Total voters
I have not heard of Pirates but could quite fancy sailing the high seas with my trusty cutlass at the ready. Reviewers have slated some very good games so perhaps I'll wait for a free demo before making a decision!

Thank you all for your responses! (And keep 'em coming!) This has been VERY helpful. I've read through every single comment -- and passed along a few as well. Despite the self-selecting bias of this poll, I was very surprised to see how many people are in the Yes camp, for whatever reason -- my initial estimates were much lower.

A lot of questions were raised in the thread, and I'm not sure I'll be able to answer the unanswered ones. Here's some quick responses:

- The new Sid Meier's Pirates! is staying true to the gameplay of the original.
- With the core gameplay in place, Sid has added lots of extras to expand the game beyond the limits of the original.
- Information about this game is just starting to hit the press in March.

There's a cover story about Pirates! (retrospective of the old and a first look at the new) in the April issue of Computer Games magazine, on sale March 9th. You can see the cover artwork at http://www.cgonline.com .

Pirates fans, enjoy, and I'll be sure to check in every once in a while to keep folks informed.*

Best,
Jeff Foley
Atari

*That is, when I'm not trying to defeat the friggin' Incas. We're each at about 33% domination of the world, and I just pulled ahead of them in tech by getting to tanks two turns before they did. If I can just kick them off my two continents, I might win a space race... and then I'll be ready to move up to Demi-God level.

I got pirates! on amiga, and the original PC version, and pirates! gold. I've been playing them since I was 8, I'm now 20.
P.S ask Sid to do a sequel to Covert Action when he's not busy ;)

Originally posted by Gainy bo

www.huns-r-us.com ;)

Btw, i'll give a brief explanation of pirates to those who want to know.
You would basically just sail around the Caribbean/North-South America raiding towns by the sea. If you were successful, you could convert that town to your nationality (English/Dutch/Spanish etc) , as well as get lots of gold -- to put in the piggy bank for a new boat :). If you chose just to visit the town, then you could go see the Mayor, and possibly marry his Daughter. You could also pick up sailors, which would make your ship more powerful. There are other boats sailing around the seas, which you can fight/run away from.

That's all I can really remember, and is probably wrong, but it gives you an idea :)

Don't forget you could capture ships, fix up and over time have quite a Pirate fleet, was devasting if one hit a Town with a fleet..

Yes, I will definantly buy Pirates! when it arrives :goodjob:

I played it A LOT in the late 80s/early 90s when I still had an Amiga, and this is the game I miss the most from that era..

Even though Pirates and Civ are very different games, for some reason the addictiveness and general "feel" was for me the same. I hope you manage to capture that for this highly anticipated sequel :)

Originally posted by Lord Cain
Pirate fleet, was devasting if one hit a Town with a fleet..

Ah, it would be nice if you could actually hit a town with your whole fleet at the same time in the new version! In the original you had to go with one ship at a time...

I wonder if it would deviate from the original too much if you could land an assault force to attack the city by land while you attack the front, bombarding it with your ships. Would have to be some sort of good old Command&Conquer battle system for such battles, I think...

One more thing: Please, no joystics or necessary use of numeric pads - I do not have either with my laptops...

I agree with Wolfwood, some sort of updated town attacking system would be good. Maybe not RTS style, thought. Pirates! 2 style, definetly.

Nobody has really mentioned what Pirates is...so i have no idea if i'd cop it or not when it comes out. though i play civ i'm more inclined to game platforms then pc games, like xbox, though diablo 2 and civ 3 are the execptions lol

Originally posted by Jeff_ATARI
* That is, when I'm not trying to defeat the friggin' Incas. We're each at about 33% domination of the world, and I just pulled ahead of them in tech by getting to tanks two turns before they did. If I can just kick them off my two continents, I might win a space race... and then I'll be ready to move up to Demi-God level.

Please tell me you're not actually allowed to play Civ3 at work. I came very close to losing my job because I bought Civ3 at lunch when it came out. It sat on my office desk for 4 very slow hours while I resisted the temptation to load it up on my machine at work "just to try it out". I wouldn't have been fired right away of course, just after 400 hours of lost productivity had caused me to miss every single deadline given to me.

Originally posted by rdomarat

Please tell me you're not actually allowed to play Civ3 at work.

Wouldn't that be the Dream Job? Or so one would think. I admit that I did have the opportunity to play early versions of Civ Conquests at work in small doses -- no use marketing a product if you don't understand it -- but no, the only people who regularly play a game like Civ3 at work are in QA -- and every game becomes more boring when you're forced to play it for the 500th time in a row, without getting to finish it.

To keep this on topic -- right now I'm playing early versions of Pirates at my desk. The Civ crossover talk is particularly appropriate, because in early prototypes Firaxis has put in placeholder artwork and sounds borrowed from Civ until new artwork and sound effects are ready. For instance, a scowling Iroquois leaderhead tells you that your crew is unhappy. (He'll be gone shortly.)

The game is really shaping up. Look for more information online next week. I'll post links here when they're available. Keep the comments coming!

Best,
Jeff Foley
Atari

Well I'm excited about this!! A friend at uni (back in the early '90s) had Pirates on his Amiga and we loved it. Really addictive and I think totally unlike any other game - had bits of other game types but the whole package was unique. I really liked the way battles were resolved - for people who don't know, when you attacked a town or ship, you had a one-on-one sword fight with the captain or mayor or whoever. But instead of life points, you each had the number of sailors/soldiers you had - every time you hit him, he lost men. It was really cool to be outnumbered to start with but then turn the tide of battle due to your magnificent swordplay :)

Top Bottom