Are the AI upgrading luxuries/strategic resources after March patch?

There is a mod that fixes the AI behavior a lot (although I've still yet to see them make a corporation) by changing the start of corporations from economics to currency, they will improve a lot more luxuries and make industries. You still won't be able to make the actual corporation until economics though because it's hard coded, If you notice in your un modded games, the AI starts to eventually improve luxuries once they get economics, and this fixes that. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2408529837&tscn=1616702841 You're all welcome!

I can't believe this is still around...

Improving ressources was never a huge strength of the AI (e.g. see my report here: [NFP] - [1.0.2.39] AI often not improving ressources over long time | CivFanatics Forums ), but constantly ignoring to improve a 2nd copy is something I haven't seen before C&M. My theory is that multiple issues contribute to this problem, but of course that's just speculation. And I don't even care really who is closer to the truth here - as long as we get a fix soon :)

It was never a huge strength of the AI, but it got noticeably bad in that game. I usually buy luxuries I don't have, and I really needed those, because of war weariness, reason why I remember it. It was odd to be unable to buy even a single copy in a game with 15 Civs, because the AI didn't have it. They usually have some.

I think that multiple issues contribute to it too. The main problem now seems to be C&M, from what everyone is reporting, but I hope Firaxis take a really good look at this issue and do more than just fix the C&M bug.

Im playing without C&M and they are still ignoring luxeries they've built and improved around them but the luxuries seem to be sacred ground...

From my game so far, I observed Persia have 2 Incense improved by the early classical era, while Vietnam had 1 Marble and 1 Pearls improved a bit later. It may be worth noting that Incense was very widespread on the continent with three instances appearing in my territory, so the two improved instances Persia had did not bring him close to a monopoly. If the developers have actively prevented the AI from obtaining a monopoly, it's beyond lame!

The thing is, with Monopolies & Corporations mode turned off the AI will tend to improve every luxury resource in their territory. Not only that, it seems like the AI is genuinely worse at settling new territory and upgrading units with Monopolies & Corporations mode turned on. I really hope they are able to fix this, but I'm thinking it's unintended behavior from the AI which, unfortunately, may be much more difficult to fix than a bug in the coding.

The thing is, with Monopolies & Corporations mode turned off the AI will tend to improve every luxury resource in their territory. Not only that, it seems like the AI is genuinely worse at settling new territory and upgrading units with Monopolies & Corporations mode turned on. I really hope they are able to fix this, but I'm thinking it's unintended behavior from the AI which, unfortunately, may be much more difficult to fix than a bug in the coding.

The AI is, of course, just more "coding". I'm sure that the problems are fixable.

Maybe it was a deliberate nerf to prevent the AI from getting TurboTourism wins?

Maybe it was a deliberate nerf to prevent the AI from getting TurboTourism wins?
It is more work to code AI to ignore improving second copies of a Luxury than toning down the Monopoly Tourism Modifier.

The only reason I think they didn't fix it yet (The Patch Notes say that it wasn't working as intended, not that it is fixed because it is OP), despite many Players (not just CivFanatics) want a nerf to the Modifier, is that they wanted to wait for the April Patch, so they can make sure everything is correctly settled and balanced (They said there are some new and fun surprises, so there might be some things that could affect the Monopoly Tourism Boost aswell).

It is more work to code AI to ignore improving second copies of a Luxury than toning down the Monopoly Tourism Modifier.

The only reason I think they didn't fix it yet (The Patch Notes say that it wasn't working as intended, not that it is fixed because it is OP), despite many Players (not just CivFanatics) want a nerf to the Modifier, is that they wanted to wait for the April Patch, so they can make sure everything is correctly settled and balanced (They said there are some new and fun surprises, so there might be some things that could affect the Monopoly Tourism Boost aswell).

I should know better by now, but I have high hopes for the April patch. It does make sense that they would hold off on major fixes till the game is in it’s Final Form

The bug is still there. I can see it in my game...

They are upgrading everything in my game (deity, huge, small continents, zombies, barbs, heroes and vampires).

They are upgrading everything in my game (deity, huge, small continents, zombies, barbs, heroes and vampires).

...but without C&M mode? This information is crucial, as it is debated whether the problem is only occuring, when having that mode activated (see discussion a few posts ago between @leandrombraz and me) and hard to decide (because even without the mode, the AI had problems in the past long before C&M was released: [NFP] - [1.0.2.39] AI often not improving ressources over long time | CivFanatics Forums , so there might be several reasons for this overall sub-performance)

This seems like a design question; I'm the historian! I honestly don't know - this sort of thing is not the sort of thing that comes across my desk.
Andrew, it's wonderful that you are here. I always enjoy reading your posts and learning about the historical considerations. [...] If any Firaxis designers are lurking, please come out of the shadows!
This won't happen. As eager 2k is to know what we think as strict are they in letting us know what they (really) think and execute a harsh unilateral flow control of information. For the staff of Firaxis this means you either know nothing about the design / implementation of civ6 (beyond player level) or are not allowed to write / talk.

Clear access rights management (read/write, read-only) is quite effective in letting information not out.
Moderator Action: This is simply not true - carl, amongst others, is active in these forums and elsewhere --NZ

Or letting unwanted information not in.

Moderator Action: Deleted irrelevant information --NZ Moderator Action: Moderator Action:

Last edited by a moderator:
I just finished a game with Monopolies enabled, and it was a bit of a mixed bag. Some civs had a lot of unimproved resources right until the end...

but a couple were doing okay. Here's Mansa taking care of his bees:
Spoiler The bees' knees :
resource1.png

And here's Monty having a booming wine and fur production:
Spoiler Monty's Fine Goods :
resource2.png

But overall, it feels like there's something wrong with the AI's handling of resources, hopefully it gets fixed soon.

Last edited:
I just finished a game with Monopolies enabled, and it was a bit of a mixed bag. Some civs had a lot of unimproved resources right until the end...

but a couple were doing okay. Here's Mansa taking care of his bees:
Spoiler The bees knees :

And here's Monty having a booming wine and fur production:
Spoiler Monty's Fine Goods :

But overall, it feels like there's something wrong with the AI's handling of resources, hopefully it gets fixed soon.

I think it's hilarious that Monty is almost finishing a spaceport while you are still discovering astronomy. His science output is enormous. Are you using any mods?

I think it's hilarious that Monty is almost finishing a spaceport while you are still discovering astronomy. His science output is enormous. Are you using any mods?

Yeah, he was quite strong this game, maybe the new ziggurat wonder which he built helped his science output. No AI mods, just deity.

I had a relatively poor start, involving a bit of a skirmish with Ethiopia. I also neglected my science a little bit, decided to go for culture, gold and faith instead.

I still managed to win a culture victory before he launched the exoplanet mission (and I didn't even sabotage his spaceports). It just goes to show how the AI is not really capable of zeroing in on a victory, but can only "stumble" upon it.

Edit: You can actually see he's already started the moon landing. I think he bee-lined like crazy for some reason, and then had to backfill to unlock the final techs.

Last edited:
Maybe the AI tends to see the latter improvement better. We can see this with the Solar / Winds farms. I even saw them replacing all the Farms with Solar Farms, and starving in the process of gaining Power. The new improvements from the Zombie Defense game mode seem to trigger the AI into the same behavior.

But a couple were doing okay. Here's Mansa taking care of his bees: [...] And here's Monty having a booming wine and fur production.
I wonder if, due to playstyle, the AI when playing some civilizations can escape or delay that behavior.
  • Mali: I don't know. Maybe he got lucky and improved the tiles before going to Currency (?), something Mali wants to unlock as soon as possible (this does not add up). Or maybe he got lucky, managed to enjoy 2 Honey from city-state, be able to put the Industry, and only then: he puts the Camp over the Honey (since the Industry option is gone).
  • the Aztec value the luxury ressources higher, so they improve them way before he unlocked Currency.

I'm just finishing my second Portugal playthrough. King, standard size and speed, archipelago, Heroes&Legends, Barbarian Clans, and Monopolies modes on. No mods.

In this game Korea improved 1 copy of many luxuries, and they established a single industry.
Japan improved 1 copy of some luxuries, and 2 copies of a single one, but they did not establish any industry.
India (Gandhi) did not improve a single luxury (they have several in their territory, but all of them untouched).
Ottomans improved a single copy of a single luxury. There is another luxury in their territory but they did not improve it.
Brazil improved 1 single copy each of two luxuries, and they established a single industry on another luxury.

I conquered Grand Colombia and Sumeria (Gilgabro backstabbed me! Fat lot of good it did him...) before I checked the status of their luxuries.

Looking at this fragmentary data, there seems to be no logic at all to what the AI does with luxuries.

Top Bottom