Are the AI upgrading luxuries/strategic resources after March patch?

I installed the mod "Fix AI Luxury Improvement issue with Monopolies and Corporations Game Mode" and wow it's another game!

This mod only fixes it after currency is researched. Possibly would have been better to put it to pottery.

So I haven't played for a while, can't recall how long, but now I'm coming to find problems that it seems like were tackled years ago.

There's this lux issue, and then there's the AI running around with warriors and archers in the industrial era.

Are these behavior limited to the Industries & Corporations mode? Or other modes? Or is even vanilla Civ impacted?

So I haven't played for a while, can't recall how long, but now I'm coming to find problems that it seems like were tackled years ago.

There's this lux issue, and then there's the AI running around with warriors and archers in the industrial era.

Are these behavior limited to the Industries & Corporations mode? Or other modes? Or is even vanilla Civ impacted?

The AI not improving luxuries is limited to the M&C mode.

There's an immediately obvious difference when turning the mode off.

Cba playing the broken monopolies mode, so whether or not they improve luxes is kinda irrelevant for me personally.
They would have to nerf the tourism bonus by another 20-100x for me to consider playing it.

To put things in perspective as to why: Environmentalism (Information Era civic) boosts your tourism globally by 25%, and appears near the end of the game for a reason.
You cant have a bonus that vastly outnumbers this, applying globally and arriving in the middle game. It simply just breaks the game.

They would have to nerf the tourism bonus by another 20-100x for me to consider playing it.

Honestly, what even made them think that was a good idea? The first time I saw it I thought it had to be a bug.

20% would be a good boost. 250%+ for a single monopoly... not so much.

Over a year later and this is still not fixed...maybe the feature is as planned and is meant to be a joke about how monopolies and corporations are more interested in your cash than providing a good product.

Ironically civ games tend to start quite poor and then get better with age as they improve them and add new good features with DLC where as civ 6 has seemed to have gone the other way with it starting out ok but with need of improvement and then only got worse as they added new broken (either bugged or highly unbalanced, or both) DLC features and made a mess of features that were either working perfectly well or worked well in previous games yet they managed to mess up in this one.

I certainly won't be pre-ordering civ 7 like i did with previous versions and won't be buying it at all until i can be sure it is not the mess tha civ 6 has been.

Over a year later and this is still not fixed...maybe the feature is as planned and is meant to be a joke about how monopolies and corporations are more interested in your cash than providing a good product.

Ironically civ games tend to start quite poor and then get better with age as they improve them and add new good features with DLC where as civ 6 has seemed to have gone the other way with it starting out ok but with need of improvement and then only got worse as they added new broken (either bugged or highly unbalanced, or both) DLC features and made a mess of features that were either working perfectly well or worked well in previous games yet they managed to mess up in this one.

I certainly won't be pre-ordering civ 7 like i did with previous versions and won't be buying it at all until i can be sure it is not the mess tha civ 6 has been.
I have to agree to an extent. So many of the new "modes" conflict with each other, are counterproductively used by AI or even damage basic functionality of the computer opponents. Soothsayers, corporations /monopolies, secret socs, heroes etc are just painfully inept and/or self-harming when left in AI hands. Clans is good though to be fair. I can't go back to pre-clans Civ6. It doesn't feel like an undue advantage over AI when playing with clans as they can exploit it as much as we can. That little boost to your empire from hiring an Eagle Warrior for example is just at the right level. Civ7 can be very good off the bat indeed if the developers can cut the wheat from the chaff early on in their planning process, or maybe just get Soren back and let him run things.

20% would be a good boost. 250%+ for a single monopoly... not so much.

Heck I'd nerf it even further, as it's too close to Environmentalism's 25% bonus in the ultra late game.
Honestly, even just a 10-15% tourism bonus is significant enough that I personally would want to pursue it as soon as possible, especially considering how effortless it is to get that monopoly against the AI.

Yeah I thought it was a mistake as well when I saw my first monopoly pump out those insane modifiers.
Sadly, I think Firaxis were just playing around with more and more insane yields in civ 6 (especially GS and NFP) in order to boost sales of their latest content, even if it meant totally breaking the game.
Especially the late game is plagued by this, as you for example can be behind at 200 science per turn.
Then some 20-30 turns later you rake in 1000+ science as all the synergizing mechanics starts racking up to dumb levels because of all the power creep.
This again causes the remaining techs/eras to just fly by before the game ends, ruining the whole late game experience.

I have to agree to an extent. So many of the new "modes" conflict with each other, are counterproductively used by AI or even damage basic functionality of the computer opponents. Soothsayers, corporations /monopolies, secret socs, heroes etc are just painfully inept and/or self-harming when left in AI hands. Clans is good though to be fair. I can't go back to pre-clans Civ6. It doesn't feel like an undue advantage over AI when playing with clans as they can exploit it as much as we can. That little boost to your empire from hiring an Eagle Warrior for example is just at the right level.

Agree, which is why I play with most modes turned off.
Except barb clans and random tech tree, those were brilliant.
Pretty ironic that the most minor of NFP modes (barbs and random tech) were the best ones.

Small caveat though:
Barb clans can be abused to a minor extent, in that hired barb units come at a big gold discount (40% roughly?), and the fact that you can hire something silly as men at arms in the late ancient/early classical era, which allows for some pretty insane early rush potential if you get the RNG on your side.
Apart from that though, brilliant mode that needs to be made baseline for civ 7!

Agree, which is why I play with most modes turned off.
Except barb clans and random tech tree, those were brilliant.
Pretty ironic that the most minor of NFP modes (barbs and random tech) were the best ones.

Small caveat though:
Barb clans can be abused to a minor extent, in that hired barb units come at a big gold discount (40% roughly?), and the fact that you can hire something silly as men at arms in the late ancient/early classical era, which allows for some pretty insane early rush potential if you get the RNG on your side.
Apart from that though, brilliant mode that needs to be made baseline for civ 7!

I believe the units available from barb clans depend on what the most advanced civilization has unlocked, though I'm not sure on that.

Regarding the minor modes being the best ones: That's because they fit into the game most smoothly. The big modes make the game revolve around them, and that's less enjoyable.

While I enjoy playing with them every now and then, I do think they're not that good of an addition to the game. Instead I'd rather have seen like, an additional five leaders and/or civilizations.

I believe the units available from barb clans depend on what the most advanced civilization has unlocked, though I'm not sure on that.

Correct, and apprenticeship is a tech the AI usually reaches early.
In some cases almost instantly as well, in the case of Babylon being in the game (3 mines being the eureka).
Either way, its nothing close to the blatantly overpowered stuff they added in SS, monopolies and heroes.

Over a year later and this is still not fixed...maybe the feature is as planned and is meant to be a joke about how monopolies and corporations are more interested in your cash than providing a good product[...]
Your conclusion doesn't necessarily follow from the premise, though. There are what we definitely should be considering bugs (the AI science mania, for example) that have not been corrected either. Therefore, the problem is that Firaxis has not been updating the game for bugs or anything else. It could be that you're right and that they are happy with it the way it is, but it could just be that Firaxis hasn't got around to fixing it. If they ever will fix it.

That last sentence is why I'm of a similar mindset to you for Civ VII, if not going a bit further. I doubt I'll buy it before they've officially finished the game and any add ons, DLCs and expansions. They've just shown that they quite willing to break the game and leave it hanging. It's been long now for me to just say that they'll get around to it - maybe they will, but this is too long to leave me waiting with a broken game.

I'm aware that means that I won't be playing Civ VII until Civ VIII is announced, but they've left me with no other choice. Civ is expensive - even with buying in sales, I've spent more on Civ VI than almost any other computer game - and leaving me in the lurch with a broken game is not acceptable, and I won't risk them doing it to me again. It's their own fault.

The AI hasn't been improving resources, whether it be luxury or strategic, since the Corporation update. Especially if it is engaged. The only times if they do have an extra resource it is because they have city on the spot.

Top Bottom