Are we at CFC Intellectuals?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by CCA, Feb 8, 2007.

?

Are we at CFC Intellectuals

1. Yes

31.5%
  2. No

50.9%
  3. Don't know/ Don't care

17.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gogf

Gogf Indescribable

And they define it as "anyone who places a high value on intellect"?

2. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

And you don't think you qualify under that scheme?! :eek:

You either grossly underestimate yourself or overestimate other people!

3. Atlas14

Atlas14 "Sophomoric Troll Master"

Your marketing, management, and corporate and legal staff do not compose your "average McDonalds employee" ;) . Your average fry cook or counter-worker probably does place a high value on intellect, which is why I have reconsidered the validity of the definition.

4. Atlas14

Everything but that part, which should have been excluded from the definition altogether.

5. Gogf

Gogf Indescribable

So you agree that the infamous "#7" is not a very good definition?

6. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Night Elven Ghost Agent

New Suramar City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    You may be surprised that some of them do value intellect. Especially if those McDonald's food workers are only working there part time to earn money and going to school. I used to work in a resteraunt part time and I valued intellect. Somehow you can find plenty of people who worked or used to work in McDonald's or other fast food joints do value intellect.

7. Fifty

Fifty !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can still find a counter-example:

A complete retard (say, our McDonald's life-employee), who really *wishes* he was smart but who can read only at, say, a 1st grade level. Being a naive moron, though, he buys a copy of Russell's Principia and tries occasionally to read it, although being a moron he can't get past the 1st sentence. So this guy is an INTELLECTUAL!?

The counterexample is meant to highlight the need for some sort of common evaluative procedure for determining whether someone really does think about intellectual things at a non-superficial level (i.e. he doesn't just read a few books and make philosophically-superficial posts on a forum). My contention is that pursuit of an advanced degree is generally a good proxy for the ability to think non-superficially about intellectual matters, which I think (due to the counterexample above) is a necessary condition for being meaningfully labelled an intellectual.

I'm sorry, but every moron kid who takes a couple AP classes, reads a book or two, and posts in these silly debates on an internet forum is NOT an intellectual in any meaningful sense of the word.

8. Atlas14

Ok, that is something I can agree with. :D Previously I was unsure what exactly the pursuit of an advanced degree had to do with intellect other than showing how motivated or smart one is, but you're right, it can be used as a good measure of something that would otherwise be overwhelmingly indeterminate.

9. Mathilda

Mathilda Queen

10. Mathilda

Mathilda Queen

Received in a pm from Fred, one more addition to the thread :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.