Are we at CFC Intellectuals?

Are we at CFC Intellectuals

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Im going to end the argument once and for all:
WE ARE ALL INTELLECTUALS
That is all

Look don't ruin my fun by saying we're all entertainers and Perfection just because you don't think you are something, if you are you are. If you slept with a man and said you were gay, that does not make you gay.

Then why have you been arguing it for so many pages?

No that would be the sheer enjoyment I'm getting from this thread :)

I don't care what people think about me
Hmm, quite contradictory when your trying to prove to us here that you're an intellectual. Am I going to prove to anyone that I am overly emotional by my words alone? No, I have to prove that I am not overly emotional by my actions. Its good that you don't care what people think about you and thats the way that most mature people should think.

I see this has been given carte blanche, welcome to the new OT, you can now make up any old bullfeathers and it's right because you say it is, good luck with that :lol:
No, its not a cartel nor a New Off Topic. Its just the simple fact that we simply cannot take words by face value. Thats why it is important that if you want to be an intellectual, you must prove it to us by your actions and not go into fights with other posters who disagree with you. I know cause I have been there, and believe me its tiering trying to convince people by words alone.

I am only giving advice because I have been through this before (Well not exactly along with Intellectualism, but more on the lines of proving one's self)

The fire's ready, throw the dictionaries on!

This is ridiculous. Nothing has to fit every single of the listed definitions of a word to be that word. If such were the case they wouldn't separate the individual definitions, it would all be included in one.

The fire's ready, throw the dictionaries on!

This is ridiculous. Nothing has to fit every single of the listed definitions of a word to be that word. If such were the case they wouldn't separate the individual definitions, it would all be included in one.

In English, dictionaries are a documentation, not determination of meaning. Why don't people understand this?

Then why do you continue your desperate bid to convince us that you're an intellectual?

No that again would be the sheer hilarity I'm getting from this thread?

Look you can make up what ever you want to salve your egos about what an intellectual is, it doesn't bother me, I find it rather amusing:lol:

In English, dictionaries are a documentation, not determination of meaning. Why don't people understand this?

1. book of word meanings: a reference book that contains alphabetically ordered words, with explanations of their meanings, often with information about grammar, pronunciation, and etymology

2. foreign-language reference book of words: a reference book that alphabetically arranges and translates words and phrases in two or more languages
a Spanish-English dictionary

3. specialized reference book: a reference book that alphabetizes and explains terms relating to a subject or topic
a dictionary of music

4. list of information: a book that lists examples or information arranged alphabetically or in some other way, e.g. by author
a dictionary of quotations

:lol:

you tell me, probably because they don't know what the word means.

Enough train wreck for a while.

Post in thread: Is Asperger's Syndrome a gift or a curse?

I wrote that just now, partially with this thread in mind. I've tried to act intellectual there. I've tried to be specific as to:
-What meanings I'm using
-How I view something
-What affects my opinion
-Why I feel this way
-What effects this has had

I also tried for clarity, both rephrasing myself with multiple interpretations of words, and checking my spelling and grammar, so that people could pay attention to what I wrote and now be distracted by how I wrote it.

So. Does anyone else think that said post was to some degree intellectual? Are the things I listed above associated with intellectualism? How should I fix any flaws in such a post? What could be added to the post?

Does being self-obsessed enough to ask this question disqualify me from being an intellectual? ;)

Look don't ruin my fun by saying we're all entertainers and Perfection just because you don't think you are something, if you are you are. If you slept with a man and said you were gay, that does not make you gay.
Okay now, that's just plain confusing. Please use a better analogy.

No that would be the sheer enjoyment I'm getting from this thread :)
Excellent, I'll continue to mock you then.

And I you, for not accepting you are wrong about what intellectual means, you all can't just make up the meaning of the word and then expect me to buy it it's hilarious, you're not making any sense.:lol:

You guys are priceless.

Do you think people write arbitrary definitions for words then place them in a leather-back dictionary? Obviously if they are in the dictionary, the definitions have earned regional-use status, not a mere one or two random people that wanted to come up with a cool, one-size-fits-all definition.

And I you, for not accepting you are wrong about what intellectual means, you all can't just make up the meaning of the word and then expect me to buy it it's hilarious, you're not making any sense.:lol:
You haven't supplied any good counterexamples yet!

Do you think people write arbitrary definitions for words then place them in a leather-back dictionary? Obviously if they are in the dictionary, the definitions have earned regional-use status, not a mere one or two random people that wanted to come up with a cool, one-size-fits-all definition.

It doesn't matter. If the dictionary says one thing but most people mean something else when they use a word, the definition in the dictionary is irrelevant and should be changed. I don't see why we should have a discussion like this using a definition that claims that everyone is an intellectual, when that is obviously not what people mean when they use the word.

You haven't supplied any good counterexamples yet!

So you don't accept 5 dictionaries as credible, you are saying that intellectual no longer means what it is defined to mean because you say so?

1. book of word meanings: a reference book that contains alphabetically ordered words, with explanations of their meanings, often with information about grammar, pronunciation, and etymology

2. foreign-language reference book of words: a reference book that alphabetically arranges and translates words and phrases in two or more languages
a Spanish-English dictionary

3. specialized reference book: a reference book that alphabetizes and explains terms relating to a subject or topic
a dictionary of music

4. list of information: a book that lists examples or information arranged alphabetically or in some other way, e.g. by author
a dictionary of quotations

:lol:

you tell me, probably because they don't know what the word means.

Where in any of those definitions does it say that a dictionary determines what is valid English and what is not?

So you don't accept 5 dictionaries as credible, you are saying that intellectual no longer means what it is defined to mean because you say so?
Dictionaries are vague and also they suck.

In addition they are poop.

Conclusion: Dictionaries are crap.

It doesn't matter.

Of course it matters. When it is has acclaimed regional-status, it means it is common enough to be an actual definition, which is actually the very argument you are using to try to show why dictionaries don't matter! :crazyeye:

If the dictionary says one thing but most people mean something else when they use a word, the definition in the dictionary is irrelevant and should be changed.

Most people around here do use the definition in question, the #7 one. Most people down here at college, including the professors, use it as well. How do you even know "most" people mean something other than the #7 definition when they say intellectual? Could this be due to a lack of understanding of the word and misuse of the word?

I don't see why we should have a discussion like this using a definition that claims that everyone is an intellectual, when that is obviously not what people mean when they use the word.

If you actually read the definition, you would see it is not nearly as inclusive nor as broad as you make it out to be.

No, because most people say so. That's generally how language works.

Yes do you know how new words are formed and old definitions change in a dictionary? By concensus, now I would hardly call you shower a concencus now, would you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom