• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Are you a veteran of your nation's military?

Are you a veteran of your nation's military?

• Yes, I am a veteran and retired.

Votes: 18 12.9%
  • Yes, I am a veteran and currently on active duty.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Yes, I am a veteran and currently in a military reserve unit.

• No, I am not a veteran.

Votes: 50 36.0%
  • I am not old enough for military service but plan to join.

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • I am not old enough for military service and don't plan to join.

Votes: 32 23.0%
  • I am not old enough for military service and haven't decided yet.

• Disabled or not eligible for military service/can't join.

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 9.4%

• Total voters
Jawz II said:
i was a conscript. i was in a ranger type unit too until an old injury forced me to do other tasks. but i wasnt retired (whats the word when you do your time and they let you go?)

released from duty?

Ranger... "type"? Either it was a Ranger Bn, or it wasn't. Which one were you with?

Jawz II said:
flygbasjägarna, which translates into airbase rangers. you figure it out.
here i found this on google: http://www.specwarnet.com/europe/safr.htm

thanks trooper.

Yeah, looks like Flygbasjägarna = Swedish Air Force Rangers (SAFRs). So you were in a "ranger type" unit. :lol:

Note: not to be confused with "Fallskarmsjagarna" (Airborne Rangers)... which is more the kind of "Ranger" I had in mind. Probably.

KaeptnOvi said:
I disagree, all the army has taught me is contempt for the army, and how it is vitally important to cream your boots every day, because otherwise you'll lose the war :crazyeye:

anyway, I'm a conscript, but I'm about 60 years too young to have seen active duty and I like it that way, so I guess I'm not veteran.
Yes, I agree the Army has some idiot persistence on certain things, which make one wonder what all those have to do with the Army itself.

If I was in power, I'd just demand from my soldiers just not to be dirty when not in training(I'd give them a bit time for themselves), BUT on the other hand, I'd train them like Hell almost all day long(anyway, it's boring to just sit and have nothing to do! :lol: )

its simple really, if you train them in obeying bizarre orders, then when war comes, theyll obey any truly strange orders, such as getting out of cover while under fire and charging the enemy.

KaeptnOvi said:
I disagree, all the army has taught me is contempt for the army, and how it is vitally important to cream your boots every day, because otherwise you'll lose the war :crazyeye:

anyway, I'm a conscript, but I'm about 60 years too young to have seen active duty and I like it that way, so I guess I'm not veteran.

Don´t forget the nuclear warfare doctrine: "If you see a mushroom could start counting. Take the time until you feel the suction, start counting until you feel the blow of the explosion front. If you count more than 20 and 60 seconds (I forgot the real numbers) you will survive. If you count less you will die very soon. In any case, if you can walk you have to continue your current assignment" I had a really hard time keeping a straight face during my time at the army.

FriendlyFire said:
I went to time.com and did a search for tomb raider iraq
Damm you need to subscribe to view the full article
I knew I'd heard something about this but MobBoss seemed so sure that it wasn't true that he had me doubting myself. Was going to devote some time later to find mention of it somewhere.

Portrait Of A Platoon
HOW A DOZEN SOLDIERS--OVERWORKED, UNDER FIRE, NERVOUS, PROUD--CHASE INSURGENTS AND TRY TO STAY ALIVE IN ONE OF BAGHDAD'S NASTIEST DISTRICTS

The patrol has lasted an hour, the three humvees slashing and darting through hairpin turns and blind alleyways, looking for attackers. It's 9 o'clock on a clear, mild December night in Adhamiya, one of Baghdad's oldest neighborhoods and these days among the most restive. The soldiers are out to draw fire. They cruise the streets and make themselves targets in order to flush insurgents into the open. But they encounter nothing. So now the convoy is heading back to base, a mile away. The platoon rolls into Adhamiya's main marketplace. The atmosphere is festive. Patrons of the teahouses and restaurants...
http://www.time.com/time/archive/pre...006535,00.html

Not a veteran. My eyesight disqualifies me from most special positions in the armed forces (nearsightedness, astigmatism, protanopia), so I'd have to be a grunt if there were ever a draft. I think I'd try to get into CSIS instead (it's Canada's equivalent of MI5-- we don't have an analogue to MI6).

With poor eyesight I'm sure you could go into intelligence work? I don't think that alone can stop you from getting into the armed forces as an officer? But I could be wrong?

I can't enlist as an officer, though-- I'd have to go to RMC or something to train for a commission. I can't serve in any capacity related to airplanes, radar, or sophisticated vehicles, I think, due to my colour deficiency. Ironically, this would make me prime sniper material, except for my nearsightedness. So I would only be eligible for more or less basic service, whether on land or at sea.

As I said, though, I would try to get into the intelligence service.

To those people with poor eyesight - look into getting LASIK done to your eyes, I had it done and can't speak highly enough for the procedure. No more glasses, contacts, etc., I can now see great. :)

Good vision is one of those things you don't know you were missing until suddenly you have it and then you smack yourself on the head for going all those years without it.

Sergeant, Israeli Air Force.
Will be elligible for promotion to Staff Sergeant in about 6 months, hopefully hold that rank for a _very_ short while before I get this bloody compulsory 36 month enlistment out of the way come October...

I planned on joining the military all my life, until I found out I'm not able to join. Thanks to a hernia I had when I was like 2.

I was enraged upon hearing this. I still get a little irritated about this, nine years after the fact (found out at age 10, and if you are bad at math I'm 19).

Mr. Blonde said:
Don´t forget the nuclear warfare doctrine: "If you see a mushroom could start counting. Take the time until you feel the suction, start counting until you feel the blow of the explosion front. If you count more than 20 and 60 seconds (I forgot the real numbers) you will survive. If you count less you will die very soon. In any case, if you can walk you have to continue your current assignment" I had a really hard time keeping a straight face during my time at the army.

don't forget first to judge the megatons of the bomb by the ratio between funnel and cloud :lol: and dont forget to hide behind a curb from the blast wave :nuke:

looks like the austrian and swiss armies have the same training schedule :) I had a hard time keeping a straigt face, too, and sometimes failed. let me tell you, the leutnant didn't like that one little thing :D

one more reason why conscription is a bad idea. Conscript soldiers just don't take the stuff seriously :)

Too young, although I wouldn't join the army anyway. The only army I would consider joining is the Israeli army. Although I can't, not because of eyesight, but because of a hearing defict robbing me of approximately half my hearing.

Perfection said:
Nope, and I don't really plan on being a veteran either. There's little access to CFC over in Iraq.
Actually I was able to surf the web, including CFC, quite easily over there. It really depends on where you are. Most FOB's and bases have some internet access.

And, yes I am a veteran by way of indentured servitude.

Top Bottom