• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Are you a veteran of your nation's military?

Are you a veteran of your nation's military?

• Yes, I am a veteran and retired.

Votes: 18 12.9%
  • Yes, I am a veteran and currently on active duty.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Yes, I am a veteran and currently in a military reserve unit.

• No, I am not a veteran.

Votes: 50 36.0%
  • I am not old enough for military service but plan to join.

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • I am not old enough for military service and don't plan to join.

Votes: 32 23.0%
  • I am not old enough for military service and haven't decided yet.

• Disabled or not eligible for military service/can't join.

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 9.4%

• Total voters
7ronin said:
It takes about 18-20 years to reach the rank of colonel in the U.S. Armed Forces and that's if you start out as an an officer. Generally speaking, there is more chance for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than there is for an enlisted man or woman to become a colonel.

And former CNO Admiral Mike Boorda was exhibit A... ;)

Okay, I was exagerrating a little. If we eliminate enlistees, who later went to the Naval Academy or got out went to college and came back in, how many have become four star admirals in the entire history of the Navy? Exactly one: Boorda. I don't think those are very good odds.

Having crawled up the hawsepipe myself I can tell you that most Navy mustangs finish thirty years before they ever get within range of an 06 selection board.

7ronin said:
Okay, I was exagerrating a little. If we eliminate enlistees, who later went to the Naval Academy or got out went to college and came back in, how many have become four star admirals in the entire history of the Navy? Exactly one: Boorda. I don't think those are very good odds.

Having crawled up the hawsepipe myself I can tell you that most Navy mustangs finish thirty years before they ever get within range of an 06 selection board.

I know, and I was just yanking your (anchor) chain a little... :)

7ronin said:

hawsepipe? :lol:

Great word! Only a salty old sea dog would ever use such a word. :goodjob:

I'm from canada:

I'm to young to be in the military and never plan to be. If it were like video games where I'd be 50 times more likley to kill somebody than be killed I'd join. The only other reason I'd join is if there was another world war.

Just look at my sig! ;)

Details:
73-76: US Army (Postal Clerk) E1 - E4
76-79: Inactive Reserve
79-83: USAF Munitions Maintenance Officer (O1 - O2)
83-96: USAF Computer Programmer (E5 - E7)

My college education was paid for by the GI Bill. No problems whatsoever. The training I got set me up in a career field that pays more than average for people of my age.

Was I ever worried about getting killed? Hell, yes! I joined up during Vietnam. During my time we had many other fights: Grenada, Panama, GulfWar I, etc. My last tour of duty I spent time sitting on my flak jacket as we flew over Bosnia, in case people on the ground decided to shoot at us.

If I had the choice to do it all again, would I? In a heartbeat!

:salute:

MobBoss said:
Shrug. I did a google search for "time magazine tomb raiders" and it came up nil. Basically, I subscribe to all the professional military journals and never saw such a thing as you describe.

I went to time.com and did a search for tomb raider iraq
Damm you need to subscribe to view the full article

Portrait Of A Platoon
HOW A DOZEN SOLDIERS--OVERWORKED, UNDER FIRE, NERVOUS, PROUD--CHASE INSURGENTS AND TRY TO STAY ALIVE IN ONE OF BAGHDAD'S NASTIEST DISTRICTS

The patrol has lasted an hour, the three humvees slashing and darting through hairpin turns and blind alleyways, looking for attackers. It's 9 o'clock on a clear, mild December night in Adhamiya, one of Baghdad's oldest neighborhoods and these days among the most restive. The soldiers are out to draw fire. They cruise the streets and make themselves targets in order to flush insurgents into the open. But they encounter nothing. So now the convoy is heading back to base, a mile away. The platoon rolls into Adhamiya's main marketplace. The atmosphere is festive. Patrons of the teahouses and restaurants...
http://www.time.com/time/archive/preview/0,10987,1006535,00.html

Nope. I wonder if anyone's ever seen a fifteen year old veteran in America. :rolleyes:

I'm too young to join the US military, but I don't plan on joining even when I'm old enough. I don't have any ethical or political reason not to join, and as a military brat I really like the enviroment and culture, I just see my life going in a different direction. Who knows, I could end up in the military some day though.

Padma said:
Just look at my sig! ;)

Details:
73-76: US Army (Postal Clerk) E1 - E4
76-79: Inactive Reserve
79-83: USAF Munitions Maintenance Officer (O1 - O2)
83-96: USAF Computer Programmer (E5 - E7)

My college education was paid for by the GI Bill. No problems whatsoever. The training I got set me up in a career field that pays more than average for people of my age.

Was I ever worried about getting killed? Hell, yes! I joined up during Vietnam. During my time we had many other fights: Grenada, Panama, GulfWar I, etc. My last tour of duty I spent time sitting on my flak jacket as we flew over Bosnia, in case people on the ground decided to shoot at us.

If I had the choice to do it all again, would I? In a heartbeat!

:salute:
Rock on then! :rockon: I salutte you. :salute:

conquer_dude said:
Nope. I wonder if anyone's ever seen a fifteen year old veteran in America. :rolleyes:

My father Joined the Navy in 1936 and served during World War II. He told me that every ship he was on during the war had at least one or two underage sailors - kids who had lied about their age to join up - some as young as thirteen. Everybody knew about it (including the officers) but nobody said anything. The same thing happened in the army. Of course that was a different time.

The Germans had kids fighting too.

War can be a very nasty business.

King Alexander said:
Yes, I'm a veteran.

Everyone should go to the Army even for only 1-2 months: the discipline gained is priceless(as some don't understand that in real life and break the laws all time), as well learn to live together with all kinds of "species".
In Greece/Hellas is compulsory to go to the Army, anyway, as it should be.

I disagree, all the army has taught me is contempt for the army, and how it is vitally important to cream your boots every day, because otherwise you'll lose the war :crazyeye:

anyway, I'm a conscript, but I'm about 60 years too young to have seen active duty and I like it that way, so I guess I'm not veteran.

Corporal in the Norwegian Defense Force.

...promotion to the rank of Korporal is used as a way to acknowledge soldiers who have done a good job in their service, without giving them any real authority.

IOW, worthless. ;)

i was a conscript. i was in a ranger type unit too until an old injury forced me to do other tasks. but i wasnt retired (whats the word when you do your time and they let you go?)

released from duty?

Jawz II said:
i was a conscript. i was in a ranger type unit too until an old injury forced me to do other tasks. but i wasnt retired (whats the word when you do your time and they let you go?)

released from duty?

dishonorable discharche? ;)

Jawz II said:

released from duty?

demobilized?

Top Bottom