• No

Votes: 55 36.9%
  • Not sure

Votes: 15 10.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Field_Marshal

Warlord
Ive always wondered, howcome every time America does anything bad we get our heads bitten clear off? Its almost as if people forget that the world is heavily indebted to America, not just some financially. America does so much for the rest of the world but all we ever get is a spread of anti-americanism and rampant complaints about everything we do. Do you really want us to nitpick and complain about everything you guys do?

Take Suadi Arabia for instance, America give so much money and food to that country, yet most people hate our guts there. Honestly this new trend of America bashing is so unwarrented.

Some people are never satisfied with anything in life. They are never grateful or insightful enough to appreciate what they have, and must accuse others of wrongdoings to justify their own unsatisfaction.

I'm grateful to America, but I never mention because I'm too busy thanking Sumeria.

Ball Lightning said:
Every country has that problem, but America is also high in rates of unemployment and GNP. And the goverment is in a huge dept.
The government is in debt but I think some other countries also owe us a lot of money. But the unemployment rate is very low, 4% last time I checked.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_the_United_States
One of the reasons I dont think we should be so generous with our wallets if their are so many people who dont appreciate it. Id like to see some of these guys go one second without American aid, so they can see how much they need us.

And I dont want the thread to turn into a bash fest, just want some reasons, if any as to why so many people dont like America.

I am grateful to live in America, thats for sure.

Field_Marshal said:
The government is in debt but I think some other countries also owe us a lot of money. One of the reasons I dont think we should be so generous with our wallets if their are so many people who dont appreciate it. Id like to see some of these guys go one second without American aid, so they can see how much they need us.
The US gives a lot of aid, but as a percentage of gross-national income, they're actually quite a long way down the list.

Interestingly, when I give to charity, it is because I want to help out someone less fortunate, and perhaps feel better about myself. I'm not particularly motivated by somehow wanting them to feel grateful to me.

And I dont want the thread to turn into a bash fest, just want some reasons, if any as to why so many people dont like America.
Are you equating not being grateful to America with not liking America?

Field_Marshal said:
Take Suadi Arabia for instance, America give so much money and food to that country, yet most people hate our guts there. Honestly this new trend of America bashing is so unwarrented.
Completely false.

America buys it's oil from Saudi Arabia, it does not give anything to Saudi Arabia. Also, I would say most people there hate your government (because of it's imperialistic past and nature), not the people. It's true there is a small minority who hate anything American though, but it's not enough to warrant destruction of a country. Besides, the USA today cannot fully function without Saudi oil.

The US gives a lot of aid, but as a percentage of gross-national income, they're actually quite a long way down the list.

Interestingly, when I give to charity, it is because I want to help out someone less fortunate, and perhaps feel better about myself. I'm not particularly motivated by somehow wanting them to feel grateful to me.
I think we should give aid to them , just that I would like people to understand just where theyd be without the U.S. I just dont understand is how we botch one Op and Anti Americanism booms. Not constructive critisizing. Its just critisizing for the sake of making America look bad is what I see so much.

Are you equating not being grateful to America with not liking America?
I think that a lot of the people who are ungrateful are that way because they dont like America for some reason. It seems strange to me that anti americanism spreads so much even in allied countries.

I'm grateful for America. Even though America is young and hasn't gone through the lessons learned by the older countries of Europe and Asia, gosh darn it they try hard to be good to everyone! And that's what counts to me at least. :)

Tenochtitlan said:
Completely false.

America buys it's oil from Saudi Arabia, it does not give anything to Saudi Arabia. Also, I would say most people there hate your government (because of it's imperialistic past and nature), not the people. It's true there is a small minority who hate anything American though, but it's not enough to warrant destruction of a country. Besides, the USA today cannot fully function without Saudi oil.
America does give surplus food food for free to middle east countries I know that much. I dont see anything imperialistic about the US as we dont keep territory from wars and we shun imperialistic thinking. There have been errors in the past but nothing to warrant this much contempt.

People may say that they dont have anything against Americans but I dont buy that with how overboard some go to demonize America.

Field_Marshal said:
I think that a lot of the people who are ungrateful are that way because they dont like America for some reason. It seems strange to me that anti americanism spreads so much even in allied countries.

Well, being allies doesn't mean to nod at everything the US says. We can be allies, yet have different opinions in certain aspects of international politics, for example. And, at least in my case, critisizing something about america that I don't like (health care, for example) doesn't mean that I don't like America as a whole, or that I am not grateful for America.

Somehow I thought that the correct preposition was 'to'. grateful to America. Well, something new I learnt today.

I'm grateful I'm here, that's why I feel like I have the freedom to criticize the administration, because I want to change this great land.

Well, being allies doesn't mean to nod at everything the US says. We can be allies, yet have different opinions in certain aspects of international politics, for example. And, at least in my case, critisizing something about america that I don't like (health care, for example) doesn't mean that I don't like America as a whole, or that I am not grateful for America.
Nothing wrong with people disagreeing every now and then but the problem is when they turn it into something about America being some eveil empire out for control over everyone or that America is so greedy and America does this and that and blah blah blah. Particularly people in the ME who think all of a sudden America has decided to become malicious and cannot be trusted when America has done nothing recently to make anyone suspicios of our benevolence.

Somehow I thought that the correct preposition was 'to'. grateful to America. Well, something new I learnt today.
No I meant are you grateful for America being here.

Yep, I like America and am grateful for it's existence. Because of it, me and my family are safe and prosperous. America has it's faults to be sure, but it is still probably the best place on earth to live.

You are correct when comparing government tax dollars being spent for foreign aid.

Do you have any figures for donations/aid given to foreign countries given by the corporations and citizens of a country? (like when you give money out of your own pocket to support a charity)

Edit: Here is some help in your research. http://www.antiwar.com/mercer/?articleid=4344

Top Bottom