• Yes

Votes: 79 53.0%
  • No

Votes: 55 36.9%
  • Not sure

Votes: 15 10.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I love my country! No where I'd rather live.

Field_Marshal said:
Ive always wondered, howcome every time America does anything bad we get our heads bitten clear off? Its almost as if people forget that the world is heavily indebted to America, not just some financially. America does so much for the rest of the world but all we ever get is a spread of anti-americanism and rampant complaints about everything we do. Do you really want us to nitpick and complain about everything you guys do?

That's the price of power.

When you have the power to affect lives in every country across the world, and frequently use it, expect what you do to become a major topic of discussions for foreigners.

And since unhappy people compalining about what they don't like usually talk a lot more and in a lot louder voice than happy people talking about what they like...

(Now, it's true that some people, esp. in the Middle East, have taken thing sway too far. But none of them are posting here)

It's not like you Americans don't criticize other countries when you aren't happy with them. We've heard a lot more about evil cowardly French over Iraq tan we've heard about nice helping French over Katrina.

But since you're the center of the modrn world, you're also the center of attention.

As for whether or not I am grateful to America - not really. I don't believe in being grateful or hateful to countries. Some people in the country, I can be grateful or hateful to, but being grateful or hateful of a country as a whole is far too large a generalization for my taste.

In this century, I'm greatful for America between the years of 1942 - 2002. All went down hill from there.

Field_Marshal said:
America does give surplus food food for free to middle east countries I know that much.
Saudi Arabia is not the middle east. It is in the middle east.

I dont see anything imperialistic about the US as we dont keep territory from wars and we shun imperialistic thinking. There have been errors in the past but nothing to warrant this much contempt.

People may say that they dont have anything against Americans but I dont buy that with how overboard some go to demonize America.

The following is a list of US interventions, wars, coups, installation of oppressive governments, overthrowing of democratically elected governments, use of cluster bombs, chemical, biological, involvment of the CIA around the world:

China, 1945-51
France, 1947
Marshall Islands, 1946-58
Italy, 1947-70s
Greece 1947-49
Philippines 1945-53
Korea 1945-53
Albania 1949-53
Eastern Europe 1948-56
Germany 1950s
Iran 1953
Guatemala 1953-1990s
Costa Rica - Mid 50s and 1970-71
Middle east 1956-58
Indonesia 1957-58
Haiti 1959
Western Europe 1950s-1960s
British Guiana 1953-64
Iraq 1958-63
Soviet Union 1940s-1960s
Vietnam 1945-1973
Cambodia 1955-73
Laos 1957-73
Thailand 1965-73
Ecuador 1960-63
The Congo/Zaire 1960-65, 1977-78
Algeria 1960s
Brazil 1961-64
Peru 1965
Dominican Republic 1963-65
Cuba 1959-present
Indonesia 1965
Ghana 1966
Uruguay 1969-72
Chile 1964-73
Greece 1967-74
South Africa 1960s-1980s
Bolivia 1964-75
Australia 1972-75
Iraq 1972-75 Portugal 1974-76
East timor 1975-99
Angola 1975-1980s
Jamaica 1976
Honduras 1980s
Nicaragua 1979-90
Phillipines 1970s-1990s
Seychelles 1979-81
Diego Garcia late 60s-present
South Yemen 1979-84
South Korea 1980
Chad 1981-82
Grenada 1979-83
Suriname 1982-84
Libya 1981-89
Fiji 1987
Panama 1989
Afghanistan 1979-92
El Salvador 1980-92
Haiti 1987-94
Bulgaria 1990-91
Albania 1991-92
Somalia 1993
Iraq 1991
Columbia 1990s-present
Yugoslavia 1995-99
Ecuador 2000
Afghanistan 2001-Present
Venezuela 2001-2004
Iraq 2003-Present
Haiti 2004

A similar , more detailed list is available on wikipedia.

No wonder many people outside of the US are not very fond of the US.

Ball Lightning said:
Every country has that problem, but America is also high in rates of unemployment and GNP. And the goverment is in a huge dept.

Not true. The United States has among the lowest levels of unemployment among the economic powers of the world, at 4.6% while nations in Europe are fairing much worse.

For example;
Australia: 5.1%
Brazil: 9.8%
Canada: 6.8%
China, PR: 9% (Official) 20% (Estimate) plus considerable underemployment
China, Rep. (Taiwan): 4.1%
France: 9.9%
Germany: 11.7%
India: 8.9%
Indonesia: 11.8%
Italy: 7.7%
Japan: 4.4%
Korea, Rep: 3.7%
Mexico: 3.6% plus underemployment of perhaps 25%
Poland: 18.2%
Russia: 7.6% plus considerable underemployment
Spain: 9.2%
Turkey: 10.2% plus underemployment of 4%
Britain: 4.7%

Now, as far as national debt goes, our debt stands at 64.7% of GDP.

Australia: 16.1%
Brazil: 51.6%
Canada: 69.6%
China, PR: 24.4%
China, Rep. (Taiwan): 33.6%
France: 66.2%
Germany: 67.3%
India: 53.8%
Indonesia: 49.9%
Italy: 108.8%
Japan: 158%
Korea, Rep: 20%
Mexico: 17.4%
Poland: 47.7%
Russia: 12.9%
Spain: 42.9%
Turkey: 68%
Britain: 43.1%

And...

The facts are that the United States went through nearly a dozen strong and damaging Hurricanes and other natural disasters, not the least of which was Hurricane Katrina. We had a pretty serious recession to deal with and we are also fighting a global war on terrorism. Even so, the federal deficit has shrunk to half of its projected total for this year so far and is expected to continue to decrease by significant rates as federal revenues continue to top new highs and the economy booms.

Sorry, your opinions are unfounded.

ainwood said:
The US gives a lot of aid, but as a percentage of gross-national income, they're actually quite a long way down the list.

We tie with the UK in total donations and sit behind only Japan. When did economic aid become a tax of some kind, where we all have to give a certain percentage? Should no one exceed that amount, even if they want to? Feel lucky that I am not in charge, cause I am willing to bet that most of that money would not be going where it is. I would send money to Japan, the Republic of Korea, the Republic of China (Taiwan), Israel, the United Kingdom (if they needed it), Russia (to keep the nukes safe), and possibly a few other places. To hell with the rest of the world. Taxpayer money should serve the taxpayer directly.

Tenochtitlan said:
The following is a list of US interventions, wars, coups, installation of oppressive governments, overthrowing of democratically elected governments, use of cluster bombs, chemical, biological, involvment of the CIA around the world:

The number of interventions does not change whether or not they are justified or "imperialistic".

Not anymore. Used to be.

Tenochtitlan said:
Completely false.

America buys it's oil from Saudi Arabia, it does not give anything to Saudi Arabia. Also, I would say most people there hate your government (because of it's imperialistic past and nature), not the people. It's true there is a small minority who hate anything American though, but it's not enough to warrant destruction of a country. Besides, the USA today cannot fully function without Saudi oil.

A few points.

> American buys 12-14% of its oil from Saudi Arabia at any given time.

> The United States has and still does give Saudi Arabia sweetheart deals on military sales such as the M1A1 Abrahms Main Battle Tank, F-16s, and other equipment.

> The United States has only been hosted, in country, by the Saudi Arabian government by request, and by request, I mean begging and pleading. The United States has never pressured or forced the Saudi Kingdom in any situation. The Saudi Gov't has supported the United States in both wars against Iraq and with regard to its stance against Iran. It also supports continued American presence in the region, because it generally helps to ensure the stability of the region (obviously not so with regard to the Iraq War). If Saudi citizens have anyone to hate, it is their own government for making us feel so damned welcome.

> The entire planet cannot function without Saudi oil whether they buy it or not. If the entire daily Saudi production was lost, the world would plunge into an economic recession the likes of which have never been seen. Crude oil prices worldwide would jump from the paltry $56 it is right now to possibly $200 - $400 per barrell, depending on why Saudi crude is off of the market.

leonel said:
I'm grateful for America. Even though America is young and hasn't gone through the lessons learned by the older countries of Europe and Asia, gosh darn it they try hard to be good to everyone! And that's what counts to me at least. :)

Everytime I hear this, I laugh by balls off. Seriously, where do you think so-called "Ameiricans" came from?! They are Irish, British, German, Italian, Chinese, Spanish, and many many others. And exactly what is it that we have yet to learn that others know?! I just think this is some BS that has no basis in fact and somehow just gets a pass from everyone. Well...not me, not this time.

AlCosta said:
I'm grateful I'm here, that's why I feel like I have the freedom to criticize the administration, because I want to change this great land.

By your own admission, this land is already great and I am just so happy that you Democrats finally admit that you want to change that, and that bringing your party to power will do just that.

America: neither great nor evil. Well, maybe a little great.

John HSOG said:
By your own admission, this land is already great and I am just so happy that you Democrats finally admit that you want to change that, and that bringing your party to power will do just that.

That wasn't a twist of words. Not at all.

John HSOG said:
What's wrong with changing the country from great to greatest?

John HSOG said:
Everytime I hear this, I laugh by balls off. Seriously, where do you think so-called "Ameiricans" came from?! They are Irish, British, German, Italian, Chinese, Spanish, and many many others. And exactly what is it that we have yet to learn that others know?! I just think this is some BS that has no basis in fact and somehow just gets a pass from everyone. Well...not me, not this time.
Do you seriously think that US has the same culture and historical expererience as Ireland, Britain, Germany, Italy, China or Spain?

Gelion said:
Do you seriously think that US has the same culture and historical expererience as Ireland, Britain, Germany, Italy, China or Spain?

The Native Americans, yes. But we kinda killed most of 'em.

augurey said:
The Native Americans, yes. But we kinda killed most of 'em.
Even those who are born and grown in America still have different experience than those who live in Europe or Asia. This is too simple to be needing a proof.

John HSOG said:
Not true. The United States has among the lowest levels of unemployment among the economic powers of the world, at 4.6% while nations in Europe are fairing much worse.

For example;
Australia: 5.1%
Brazil: 9.8%
Canada: 6.8%
China, PR: 9% (Official) 20% (Estimate) plus considerable underemployment
China, Rep. (Taiwan): 4.1%
France: 9.9%
Germany: 11.7%
India: 8.9%
Indonesia: 11.8%
Italy: 7.7%
Japan: 4.4%
Korea, Rep: 3.7%
Mexico: 3.6% plus underemployment of perhaps 25%
Poland: 18.2%
Russia: 7.6% plus considerable underemployment
Spain: 9.2%
Turkey: 10.2% plus underemployment of 4%
Britain: 4.7%

Now, as far as national debt goes, our debt stands at 64.7% of GDP.

Australia: 16.1%
Brazil: 51.6%
Canada: 69.6%
China, PR: 24.4%
China, Rep. (Taiwan): 33.6%
France: 66.2%
Germany: 67.3%
India: 53.8%
Indonesia: 49.9%
Italy: 108.8%
Japan: 158%
Korea, Rep: 20%
Mexico: 17.4%
Poland: 47.7%
Russia: 12.9%
Spain: 42.9%
Turkey: 68%
Britain: 43.1%

And...

The facts are that the United States went through nearly a dozen strong and damaging Hurricanes and other natural disasters, not the least of which was Hurricane Katrina. We had a pretty serious recession to deal with and we are also fighting a global war on terrorism. Even so, the federal deficit has shrunk to half of its projected total for this year so far and is expected to continue to decrease by significant rates as federal revenues continue to top new highs and the economy booms.

Sorry, your opinions are unfounded.

Those unemployment figures don't mirror reality, though. Remember, compared to many of those countries, we have a massive amount of (mostly young men) in the military. Subtract around 80 - 90 percent of those in the military and them into the job/job search category. And then don't forget the, what, 1-2 million non violent drug offenders currently in prison into the mix. Then don't forget all those dependent on those in prison, massive institutions such as the DEA, parts of the ATF, etc... Then, also, don't forget that most of our jobs and job creation are "McJobs," and the numbers are not so rosy, more in line with Europe.

Gelion said:
Even those who are born and grown in America still have different experience than those who live in Europe or Asia. This is too simple to be needing a proof.

Er, Aboriginal peoples? Now that I think about it, your country killed em too! See, we Russians and Americans have something in common: our brutal suppression of indigenous peoples!

I guess that was a tangent though....

Top Bottom