• Yes

Votes: 79 53.0%
  • No

Votes: 55 36.9%
  • Not sure

Votes: 15 10.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
"Grateful for America", what a strange way of phrasing the question. Im grateful for cleavage, red wine and tiramisu. To a certian extent Im grateful to America, but its more like family - you are grateful to them for a bunch of stuff, they are to you for a bunch of stuff and it all comes out in the wash.

To be grateful for America implies to be grateful for the concept or ideal of America, which sadly seems to be doing a site better than the reality over the past decade.

augurey said:
Er, Aboriginal peoples? Now that I think about it, your country killed em too! See, we Russians and Americans have something in common: our brutal suppression of indigenous peoples!
What are you on about? I'm talking about historical and cultural aspects of a nation that define its peoples. You seem to be on a different subject.

But since you touched this. Name me one tribe/nation that Russians wiped of the face of the Earth. I can name a few for Americans. Can you?

OK, so it wasn't my bad English after all... :D

Damn... That was a reply to GinardTonic, but Gelion HAD to post first. :mad:

(just joking, In case you didn't notice)

@ Tenochtitlan
I am going to have to ask for a link for when the US has ever used chemical, biological weapons.

woody60707 said:
@ Tenochtitlan
I am going to have to ask for a link for when the US has ever used chemical, biological weapons.

Agent Orange.

Urederra said:
OK, so it wasn't my bad English after all... :D

Damn... That was a reply to GinardTonic, but Gelion HAD to post first. :mad:

(just joking, In case you didn't notice)
lol I hate when that happens too :crazyeye:

Gelion said:
What are you on about? I'm talking about historical and cultural aspects of a nation that define its peoples. You seem to be on a different subject.

But since you touched this. Name me one tribe/nation that Russians wiped of the face of the Earth. I can name a few for Americans. Can you?

Alaska. But yeah, it was on a limited scale. My post was meant to be tounge and cheak sorry :/

My point was there is amazing culture in North America, just that most of it is a small minority.

Tenochtitlan,

Wow...what a joke of a list. The US really intervened in a nasty way in Eastern Europe in the 50's...oh and the dreaded Diego Garcia, a UK base in the Indian Ocean. I also find it a bit funny that some 80% of the countries you mention are Democracies. Hmmmm....

I wonder why you don't reveal where you are from?

~Chris

sonorakitch said:
Tenochtitlan,

Wow...what a joke of a list. The US really intervened in a nasty way in Eastern Europe in the 50's...oh and the dreaded Diego Garcia, a UK base in the Indian Ocean. I also find it a bit funny that some 80% of the countries you mention are Democracies. Hmmmm....

I wonder why you don't reveal where you are from?

~Chris
What does where I'm from have anything to do with this?

Justified or unjustified interventions, it angers the people when another country deploys it's military in it. See Iraq war.

Tenochtitlan said:
What does where I'm from have to do with this?

Saudi Arabia, iirc ;)

Tenochtitlan said:
What does where I'm from have anything to do with this?

Justified or unjustified interventions, it angers the people when another country deploys it's military in it. See Iraq war.

I think it has everything to do with this...only because unless you are from Canada your country has blood on its hands too. My point is that certainly the US has committed acts of wrong throughout the world but it is not alone and many times it is for the best intentions (however misguided). Yes see Iraq.

And I don't think the US deployed military personell to Eastern Europe in the 1950's, or Portugal in the 60's, or most of the other places on your list.

~Chris

augurey said:
Alaska. But yeah, it was on a limited scale. My post was meant to be tounge and cheak sorry :/
The only incident I can recall was in Kadyak (Kodiac) around 1805. However there it was the Americans that encouraged an Indian attack on a Russian fort (and a massacre of its population). After that of course Russians with the help of other Indians retaliated. If there was something else I'd like to know about it ;)

My point was there is amazing culture in North America, just that most of it is a small minority.
I dont get this phrase, but yeah America has great culture :p

Bugfatty300 said:
Bugfatty Debunked Myth #783

Agent Orange was defoliant. Not a chemical weapon.

It was a chemical, used as a weapon. Ergo a chemical weapon.

GinandTonic said:

Explain?

Was the plan to wipe out the Viet Cong over a matter of decades by giving them cancer?

Or was the plan to defoliate areas of jungle around fire bases and points of interests so that the Viet Cong couldn't sneak up on our guys and shoot them in the head?

In otherwords AO wasn't a "chemical weapon" in the sense VX or Mustered Gas was a "Chemical Weapon."

GinandTonic said:
Wasn't used as a weapon unless your counting plants as targets. AO was used to clear the plants out so the VC would have no cover not as a weapon targeting the VC.

They knew it messed people up who were exposed to it. Not enough to use it for that express reason, but enough to be well aware there would be consequences. Hence the sucessful law suits in the US, NZ, Oz etc.

Im not taking any sort of high ground here, just saying that if you spray people on mass with a chemical you know will mess them up, its a chemical weapons attack. Not like the UK using mustard gas on the Kurds in the interwar years, but still.

I'm grateful that America is running the world instead of China, India, or Russia..

Having said that, America must look to its own interests first, instead of the interests of the rest of the world, and so, it is only logical that it is going to act against the interests of various countries around the world.. by installing puppet governments, invading, & sticking their nose where it doesn't belong, amongst other things, all of which is common knowledge, if you've studied any history at all.

I don't think people would hate the U.S. as much if it was a bit more honest about its foreign policy.

Instead of: "Spreading freedom around the world", how about "looking out for our own interests, most of the time".

With a lot more honesty and a little bit more good intent, the next invasion might get a bit more international support.

There is also the fact that America tends to leave one mess after another around the world, which is why it's often equated to previous powers that tried (or succeeded) to have some sort of world hegemony.. Soviet, British, French, German. You guys claim to be better that that.

You have good official intentions.. ie. "Spreading freedom and democracy"
but are in the end judged by your actions. ie. supporting coups and causing trouble

EDIT: I just re-read my post and it sounds a bit anti-American. Let me clarify that I would heavily criticize any country that had world hegemony of some sort.. be it the U.S., China, Russia, Norway, or Sealand. The U.S. would be pretty high up the list of countries (or groups of countries) that I would want to be in the charge of the world. If somebody has to be in charge of the world, the U.S. is a pretty good pick!

It's not that you guys are worse than the previous groups of guys who ran the world.. it's just that you're not as good as you claim you are.. you obviously have your own interests to look after.. would be nice if that was admitted from time to time ;)

I would actually be delighted if right before the 2nd Gulf War the U.S. president went on TV and said: "Listen, we don't like this guy, we haven't liked him for a while, we'll have to take him out at one point or another.. before he develops nuclear weapons would be better! there's also oil there so that might help our economy and alleviate our energy needs... and as a side benefit we will attempt to turn Iraq into a democracy and use it as a temporary base to fight the war on terrorism. Thank you and God Bless America"

You're in the spotlight, so deal with the criticism. A lot of it is misguided but has roots in legitimate questions

GinandTonic said:
They knew it messed people up who were exposed to it. Not enough to use it for that express reason, but enough to be well aware there would be consequences. Hence the sucessful law suits in the US, NZ, Oz etc.

Im not taking any sort of high ground here, just saying that if you spray people on mass with a chemical you know will mess them up, its a chemical weapons attack. Not like the UK using mustard gas on the Kurds in the interwar years, but still.
People were not deliberatly sprayed plants were.

Top Bottom