Art Style Poll - Are you turned off or excited?

What is your reaction to the new art style we have been shown?

• I'm excited! I like the new artstyle.

Votes: 58 16.8%
  • It's okay. Not overexcited but not disappointed.

Votes: 85 24.6%
  • I'm not completely turned off but not exactly impressed.

Votes: 105 30.4%
  • Ugly. Flat out crap. I hope they change it!

Votes: 72 20.9%
  • I don't really care about the art style.

Votes: 25 7.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sadly the "Looks bad but I'm optimistic that it can be fixed."-option is missing in the poll, so I had to go with "I'm not completely turned off but not exactly impressed". ;)

I'm pretty happy with what i ended up with rather quickly after spending a bit of my time in Photoshop (aside from the over-saturated and way too dark yellow):

Spoiler :

...so I think there's a solid basis there. Even if they don't decide to change the horrible color scheme, modders should be able to turn it into something that looks good to me, because the models seem to be pretty solid and beautiful.

Now this would be a look I could deal with, and I would hope that this is the case. Although I doubt this is how it will look on completion....

Spoiler :

...so I think there's a solid basis there. Even if they don't decide to change the horrible color scheme, modders should be able to turn it into something that looks good to me, because the models seem to be pretty solid and beautiful.
The fluffy grass is a really good call. It preserves the "model landscape" feel the game has and maintains the uncluttered appearance yet brings in more definition and detail to the ground.

Should be low impact on performance, too, it can just be a sprites dotted around the landscape akin to the Civ5 forests - a common way to do a lot of grass anyway. If we have to mod it ourselves, it might be harder to mod in than textures, though.

Ultimately, I'm really not happy about the first impression the new screenshots give but there's a lot of good in there. Good models, nice lighting engine... it's really the terrain textures and the tree models that I dislike - they're just very, very prominent.

Still doesn't give me the impression of an actual forest when you can see the ground through, but yeah, they're better than the plastic christmass-trees in front.

Still doesn't give me the impression of an actual forest when you can see the ground through, but yeah, they're better than the plastic christmass-trees in front.

Would you accept it if they kept the same tree models and just made the forest denser?

Am I wrong about game development or are we unlikely to see the whole picture for the final graphics while we're still like six months out of release?

Oh man and here I thought I was so cool for having started such a popular and heated thread! [emoji14]

Wrong questions bring wrong answers, hence the debate. Happilly, I'm here to set up back the truth. :D

More seriously, art style is mostly a question of taste and sensibility, so it's pretty pointless to open up a thread on that : what could we debate about ? More, the assossiated poll doesn't point out the real problem of those sreenshots IMHO, and therefore maintain a confusion.

Am I wrong about game development or are we unlikely to see the whole picture for the final graphics while we're still like six months out of release?

This one is pretty funny. It shows how you still hope. :mad:

5 months now. :D

Wrong questions bring wrong answers, hence the debate. Happilly, I'm here to set up back the truth. :D

More seriously, art style is mostly a question of taste and sensibility, so it's pretty pointless to open up a thread on that : what could we debate about ? More, the assossiated poll doesn't point out the real problem of those sreenshots IMHO, and therefore maintain a confusion.

This one is pretty funny. It shows how you still hope. :mad:
You go on with your bad self.

Haha. I just remember early screenshots from Civ III and IV and V previews and how they didn't really look quite right. :)

I remember the screenshots of the terrible looking Civilization 5 roads and people commenting on them. Sadly, it never got fixed. :sad:

Anyway, yeah, these are likely alpha screenshots so wait and see. I personally don't mind them, though. :)

You go on with your bad self.

What does that mean ? That I'm bad ? Are you trying to insult me in a despair ? Can you be more clair / relevant ? I've backed my opinions with arguments to the point they tend towards facts, and I must admit I fail to see such convincing arguments in your sentence.

You may feel aggressed, but I assure you it's not my goal, I'm entirely dedicated to opinions, be them on art style, this topic and its relevance, and what we know of Civ6. If it hurts you, I can't help, so refrain replying a lose sarcastic or equivocal sentence to try to discredit my saying (that I have in esteem), what could discourage other people with relevant things to say to answer, and ideally end this topic or make it evolve.

IMO Poll would have been better if it was

1) Like it
2) Neutral/don't care
3) Dislike it...

Keep it simple! Currently has some redundant options and they aren't worded great either. Basically i see it as 1) like it 2) neutral 3) dislike it 4) Hate it 5) Neutral. It isn't balanced!

I voted 5) but 2) is just as good.

IMO Poll would have been better if it was

1) Like it
2) Neutral/don't care
3) Dislike it...

Keep it simple! Currently has some redundant options and they aren't worded great either. Basically i see it as 1) like it 2) neutral 3) dislike it 4) Hate it 5) Neutral. It isn't balanced!

I voted 5) but 2) is just as good.
I tried to make it

1. I like it a lot
2. I find it ok but not great
3. Im not a fan but its not terrible
4. I hate it
5. I don't care.

I guess the wording was written a little poorly though. If you look through some of the comments some people wanted a lot more options LOL. I was trying to keep it simple but with a little more than just 3 options

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom