Art Style Poll - Are you turned off or excited?

What is your reaction to the new art style we have been shown?

• I'm excited! I like the new artstyle.

Votes: 58 16.8%
  • It's okay. Not overexcited but not disappointed.

Votes: 85 24.6%
  • I'm not completely turned off but not exactly impressed.

Votes: 105 30.4%
  • Ugly. Flat out crap. I hope they change it!

Votes: 72 20.9%
  • I don't really care about the art style.

Votes: 25 7.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha. I just remember early screenshots from Civ III and IV and V previews and how they didn't really look quite right. :)

V especially. I really didn't know how it was supposed to work with everything blending together the way it did.

I thought I wouldn't be able to tell anything apart.

I don't think those screenshots are meant to show the actual visual of the finished product. I'm pretty sure they just wanted to illustrate the concept of a city being laid out on the map which was the first 'revolution' introduced in civ6.

My point is , it might be too early to even have an opinion on the rendering of the game.

At about 5 months away, it probably isn't too early anymore.

That said, I honestly didn't have that much of an issue with the art style until I started going on boards and forums where people were saying it was likely indicative of a more simplified mobile experience.

So yeah, now I am kind of worried with that in mind.

Maybe Firaxis really has gone full donut.

Still doesn't give me the impression of an actual forest when you can see the ground through, but yeah, they're better than the plastic christmass-trees in front.

I agree with you on how the trees look. They need to at least make them look a little better than that.

I'm really on the fence with this one. I'm getting horrible civ revolution flashbacks but at the same time it reminds me of Civ 4. It's just such an odd design choice. I'll have to wait for E3 before deciding yay or nay.

I like the new art style. What's important to me is the gameplay though. I can put up with anything as long as I have fun. Graphics are secondary to me.

If you want less colorful graphics with more realistic style, but at the cost of fewer features and less strategy, I recommend playing Civilization 5 vanilla. ;)

It looks pretty bad, I think so anyways.

It was going to take a lot for me to give up my modded Civ5 to bother to play Civ6, based on graphics alone I have even less reason to move to it.

It's possible they know that people who are really into Civ5 won't be giving it up, so they are moving to a different target group for Civ6. (perhaps a younger one, that's used to cell phone games)

It's possible they know that people who are really into Civ5 won't be giving it up, so they are moving to a different target group for Civ6. (perhaps a younger one, that's used to cell phone games)

That's pretty unlikely since: (1) They've always tried to attract past Civ gamers with the new main (numbered) titles. (2) Civ VI is building on Civ V in a way that would make the transition natural. (3) They mentioned that all the systems from Civ V would be translated to the Civ VI base game in some way - a statement meaningless to new players but attractive to current/past players. (4) The game is coming out for PC, whereas people used to playing mobile games will be more likely to play on a mobile platform. (It still might come out on a mobile platform, but that would likely be announced already if the marketing strategy is to target new mobile gamers primarily.)

IMO, that outweighs: (1) The graphics don't seem to suit a particular Civ V player's personal preferences (based on a few early screenshots).

A friend made a point that Civ6 graphics looks like a mobile game because of readability. Mobile games are meant to be played on small screens and not in perfect conditions so readability is a must. Hence the bright colors that distinctly differentiate things on a map.

He saw a Civ5 screenshot and noted it's hard to read without the unit icons and the terrain itself was very busy. I know there was a discussion on this exact same point already, but it's interesting to hear it in the flesh.

I'm not disappointed, neither very excited, so i chose the 2nd option. As long as graphics do their job i am OK with them. In any case, we still need to see more screenshots/videos, the sample we have is still rather small

Ok, seriously. The art style does not automatically mean mobile game. And what's all this immersion talk? It's a game, it looks like a game.

And I'm saying this as a long time Civ player. I don't want realism in the art style. It takes like 10 minutes on my year old computer to start up a game of CiV and then I have to wait for a bunch of textures to load.

Here, we can clearly see what's what without giving everything an icon (save for most of the resources) which is a very good thing. Also those ships look beautiful. Felt like that needed to be said

Clearly people have different preferences. I personally prefer the game to look good and am willing to accept loading times - not that they're caused by the graphics anyway. I'd rather have a good looking game that takes a few minutes to load than an ugly, super-saturated game with bland textures.

That's pretty unlikely since: (1) They've always tried to attract past Civ gamers with the new main (numbered) titles.
That claims feels pretty weird after the broken base-maker that was Civ5...

That claims feels pretty weird after the broken base-maker that was Civ5...

But it's still true. The game was marketed to current Civ players (not exclusively, but that's not what I am claiming). There were comparisons to past Civ games in the Civ V marketing, like, "Combat is more exciting and engaging than ever before." There is a broken base because some Civ IV players were convinced and some weren't, not because Civ V was targeted at non-Civ players and some players just happen to like it.

It's like... I really like buildings/improvement models and units but damn that grass, mountains and river look really poor.

The trees look like they are from the Xmas show Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. The swordsman looks awful. The buildings and wonders look fine. The caravel looks like crap, maybe it is not finished. Looking at the graphics thus far I cannot believe the game should take a bad ass rig to play it. And it seems to be looking that way from other threads I have read. At this point they need to work on some things and show us new screenshots when they are finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom