1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Ashurbanipal of Assyria leaderhead

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Graphics Modpacks' started by ShiroKobbure, Feb 24, 2005.

1. ShiroKobbure

ShiroKobbure Still modding Civ3

2. Sword_Of_Geddon

Sword_Of_Geddon Mysterious Jungle Warrior

What ideas do you have for backgrounds as of this moment? I'm trying to get a feel for what you have in mind

3. ShiroKobbure

4. Sword_Of_Geddon

Hmmmm

I think the medival should be a sultan of somekind, with the background a Mosque style palace, the Industrial should be based on the old King of Iraq, background maybe similiar to what you are currently using. The modern could be the Saddam Hussein look, with oil refinerys in the background perhaps.

5. Antiochus VII

Antiochus VII Basileus

I like the current ancient, industrial, and modern style but a medieval Islamic type would be best I think.

6. TopGun

TopGun 258 kills

my 2 cents.... leave ancient industrial and modern backgrounds "as is"... also the style clothes he's wearing is just fine. For medieval, he could look like a Saracen... a.k.a. well-heeled arab/muslim potentate.

7. Pernstyles

Pernstyles Chieftain

A modern Ashurbanipal

Attached Files:

8. Ares de Borg

Ares de Borg Norman Knight

9. Bjornlo

Bjornlo Deity

I also agree with Topgun. The only other thing I could add which might be helpful is I think it would look better with Bryce (or Poser) generated backgrounds. The current ones look slightly out of place, not bad or anything, just that they have a depth of field and a degree of detailing missing from the foreground image. I think a rendered background as well and they would go together better.

10. Pernstyles

Pernstyles Chieftain

2 quotes:
    > Saracen... a.k.a. well-heeled arab/muslim potentate
    >
    > medieval Islamic type

Let us not confuse Arabs with Assyrians ... totally distinct cultures. Assyrians were never Islamic; Arabs simply took over the place.
    And not even being Assyrian, I take offense

11. ShiroKobbure

but I want this one to follow the history of Assyria, modern day Iraq, so since the Arabs did conquer it and bring them under their influence.

12. Mithadan

Mithadan Wandering Woodsman

Make him an Arabicized Assyrian, then.

I met an Assyrian once, I didn't even realise that was possible! Nice guy. Probably nothing like Ashurbanipal! Apparently there's still an Assyrian Church...(says something about how thorough their Islamicization was?)...

13. Sword_Of_Geddon

Assyrians are not the same as the Babylonians right?

14. Mithadan

Right. They're both "Mesopotamians," though. Assyria conquered Babylon, later the Babylonians conquered Assyria. Y'know, the typical back-n-forth business so typical of world history.

The Assyrian capital was Nineveh (where Jonah was supposed to go), and the Babylonian capital was...er, Babylon. The Assyrians conquered and deported the Northern Kingdom of Israel (the 10 tribes), while the Babylonians did the same for the Southern Kingdom of Judah.

15. Sword_Of_Geddon

Interesting............I think i just may have to think about throwing the Assyrians into Heart of Destiny.....

16. Mithadan

Oh absolutely. I remember playing CivI, wishing they were in that game!

'Course in my epic mod, I've just got a generic Mesopotamian civ, with Sumerians, Babylonians & Assyrians (and eventually Selucids...) spaced in according to timeline & tech. It's more of a Steph-mod approach, which not everybody likes.

17. Sword_Of_Geddon

Thats sort of like combining France, Spain, England, Portugal, and Germany into a "Europe" civ.....

Except for Sumer and Babylon, they are basically the same thing, a unification of the Akkadians and Sumerians..

18. Mithadan

OT:

Ouch, is it really that bad? There's rarely enough room on world-maps for an Assyrian civ and a Babylonian civ, whereas there is usually plenty of room in Europe (typically, the mapmakers enlarge it for gameplay) for a good many civs...

I have the Iberians, instead of Portugal & Spain...I've got Britain instead of England, Scotland, Wales & Ireland...I've got no Celts, they're part of France and others as well...I've got Austria to cover East-Central Europe (including Poland, which is the worst thing...) including some Celts...Scandinavia to cover the Swedes, Danes & Norwegians...I included the Dutch in with the Germans (that'll cause no end of grief, but suck it up!) :D

...but this way I can include civs like Brazil, the Great Plains Indians, Indochina, Western Africa etc. without losing most of the classically fun Eurocentric civs...

19. Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey Archon Without Portfolio

You gave your own answer. i remember when they were designing that Habitat II place in Arizona reading an article where it was suggested that if you had a room with ten people to proportionally represent the world's population only 2 of them would be white. One of the areas with the highest concentrations of distinct ethnic groups is the Indonesian archipelago. We think of it as a small place, but if you overlay it on the western hemisphere, it's almost as far across as the USA.

20. Plotinus

Plotinus Philosopher Administrator

Who thinks of Indonesia as small?? It's vast!

Assyria was a very interesting empire, and I also thought it an obvious candidate for inclusion in Civ. The Assyrian friezes depicting various kings killing lions, winning battles almost single-handedly, and surveying an almost endless procession of chained captives are arguably the best things in the British Museum. They are quite definitely not the same people as the Babylonians and certainly not the Sumerians. Someone should make a really good ancient Middle East scenario with all of these civs, including Egypt.