Ask A Coffee Fanatic

It has a lot more caffeine. It is also a completely different taste.

Have you never had coffee?

Some claim it is an acquired taste. But I liked it right off.

Do you have a Starbucks nearby?

Are you sure you want to suggest Starbucks for a first taste of coffee? Their brew is not the most drinkable. It's intended for mixing and it shows.

J

How does coffee differ from tea?

Tea has l-theanine and a few other compounds that change the nature of how the psychoactive effects are felt.

Yes, about ten minutes away.
Then go for it. Tell us what you think.

Are you sure you want to suggest Starbucks for a first taste of coffee? Their brew is not the most drinkable. It's intended for mixing and it shows.

J
What do you mean? They have very decent coffee albeit a bit pricey.

What do you mean? They have very decent coffee albeit a bit pricey.

Just what I said. I do not find Starbucks particularly drinkable. It's all points and edges. That's fine for an iced drink with lots of additives, but not for drinking au naturale. If their equipment is properly cleaned, Dunkin Donuts makes a drinkable cup. Unfortunately, clean equipment is asking a lot.

J

I agree; Starbucks is not the place to go to experience your first cup of coffee. It is way too strong. In any case I'd say begin with a cup of black coffee for taste and when/if you find it unpalatable, add a bit of sugar or real milk/cream (not the powdered stuff). Play around with things until you find the combination you like. I've drunk coffee lots of ways, but my favorite when I'm home and have time, is cafe au lait (Strong coffee and piping hot milk in equal measure).

Or...start with a big bowl of Breyers coffee ice cream!!!

Yuck. I take my coffee like I do my men. Black ans strong.

But seriously, I really don't see the point of starting out with a bland cup of coffee. However, Dunkin Donuts would serve the same purpose if there is one nearby where he lives. I figured it would be easier to discuss if we knew what it was he was actually drinking, and Starbucks seems to be reasonably consistent no matter where it is.

I also frequently drink Starbucks coffee black and find nothing wrong with it at all. It is quite flavorful. They also have various other tasty forms for those who want to experiment or find the standard black cup too strong, like cappuccino or latte. Or you can really go for the caffeine fix with an espresso.

Honestly, if you're just getting black coffee, McDonald's is better than Starbucks for less price.
They don't taste anywhere near the same. McDonalds uses far cheaper beans.

In general, you get what you pay for. Coffee is really no different than anything else.

But if you personally like cheaper coffee beans to the more expensive ones, you can certainly save money.

They don't taste anywhere near the same. McDonalds uses far cheaper beans.

In general, you get what you pay for. Coffee is really no different than anything else.

But if you personally like cheaper coffee beans to the more expensive ones, you can certainly save money.

You seem to like the sharp edges. McD's coffee has a much rounder flavor. More drinkable, but not as many high points.

J

Again, it's a matter of the cost of the beans.

If you prefer McDonald's premium roast coffee to Starbucks you are probably not going to like African coffee. McDonald's buys their beans from Latin America instead of Africa and Asia because they can get the beans a lot cheaper. Starbucks supposedly uses a blend of all 3, but they seem to weigh heavily on African and Asian beans. This is largely the reason why they charge more for their coffee because it costs more to make.

Only if it kills you. :p

Does anyone here use the coffee creamer tubs in their hot coffee?

In my experience, they work best over ice, with alcohol. I don't drink much, so even that experience is limited.

J

I never use anything but real milk or cream in my coffee. Mostly it's 2% milk. The powdered stuff is just terrible.

Top Bottom