Assyria discussion

Kinda disappointed, as I think that UA would make a better Autocracy sopol.

No, unless I've been missing something, you gotta raze up front.

But if you're just yoinking techs off of another civ, the self-correction is the same as with spies. You'll run out of techs to steal.

That's why, in a sense, it's worse than getting a surfeit of research points.

You can raze any of your cities at any time. Just by opening the city screen, right about "purchase a tile"

You can raze any of your cities at any time. Just by opening the city screen, right about "purchase a tile"

Because if this, I'm sure you get the technology when you capture the city, regardless of what you do with it.

The OP thing about the Assyrians is that you don't have to take big cities to steal a tech. A big science civ is going to have smaller cities strung out across the map. You can just go ninja those suckers and steal techs left and right.

I wonder if that resets the espionage tech stealing counter.

At the same time you are only getting techs if your opponent is ahead, hence the discussion on deep bee-lines. Those easy pickings will need to be defended by advanced military for you to reap the maximum benefits, thus making them not-so-easy pickings.

In a way, it seems similar to Ethiopia's UA.

Ethiopia: combat bonus against bigger civilizations, lost when you're the big civilization.

Assyria: steal techs from more advanced civilizations, lost when you're the most advanced.

And much like the Spirit of Adwa, when it becomes obsolete you no longer need it. I already see Assyria as potentially being a top tier civ.

I'm curious about what does the Royal Library do. The UA is quite good and aggro-science oriented, makes me think that a Library UB could be even better. Just confirming my thought, they WILL me one of my favorite civs to play as.

Or if the Huns are in the same game as you, just trade it to them and they will autoraze the city for you nearly every time :)

I feel like they need the Royal Library to be weak, because the UA (combined with a UU which benefits the UA by feeding it, one would assume) is incredible. Otherwise, this civ might get some rebalance for being an actual OP setup (actual being important, considering how often the term OP is overused). I really don't want a rebalance, because I want to play with just this UU-UA combo, and I could care less about their UB. Heck, the UA alone sounds amazing, I don't even need the UU.

The unmitigated giddyness people are having about that UA is something rare and special.

The UB will be powerful no matter what it does, because it's a replacement for the most critical building of the early game, greather even than a shrine or monument.

Heck, if all it does is lower the production cost and/or maintenance cost, it comes out fine.

I suspect it's going to go down like the Austrian UA. People will complain at release. Some will see the AI doing it right. Others will claim the AI can't use it right at all. Players will dominate when using it. In the end it will get a small Nerf.

I see NO way for that Royal Library to NOT make this civ overpowered :)

Add culture? Works well with a puppet empire.
Add science? Works great with everything.
Add happyness? Works great with warmongering.
Cheaper? Works well with rushing.
Boosting the new traderoutes? Pays for your large army.
Add faith? Saves you time for your rush (no shrines).

That said, I dont mind having stronger and weaker civs. The worst situation for any civ game occurs when all the AIs constantly fight without a winner. Makes them fall back enormously.

My personal bet would be for the Royal Library to be a library with a great work slot. This makes sense on several levels:

- it highlights/ties in with the new tourism/great work mechanism,
- it has a historical ring to it, highlighting Assyria's tendency to plunder great works of art,
- it is not overpowered, as at best it saves Assyria a need to build another building.

Just seen the UA for the Assyria's :):thumbsup:

I use to LOVE getting a free tech in previous versions of Civ. It encouraged conquest (i'm generally a dull builder) and allowed backward civs a chance to catch up.

Add in a seige UU...happy days.;)

Why on earth is Nineveh not the capital?!?!?! This is an outrage! I exaggerate but it just seems wrong historically to make (likely) Assur the capital if Ash is the ruler. Oh well.

My personal bet would be for the Royal Library to be a library with a great work slot. This makes sense on several levels:

- it highlights/ties in with the new tourism/great work mechanism,
But Assyria's not a culture/tourism civ. They don't need a bunch of slots for writers.

But Assyria's not a culture/tourism civ. They don't need a bunch of slots for writers.

But it matches with the whole "Library of Nivenah" thing, the Royal Library held great works, such as the Epic of Gilgamesh. Thats where I think it comes in...

Why on earth is Nineveh not the capital?!?!?! This is an outrage! I exaggerate but it just seems wrong historically to make (likely) Assur the capital if Ash is the ruler. Oh well.

Thebes wasn't the capital for Ramses II, Athens wasn't the capital for Alexander, D.C. wasn't the capital for George Washington, etc.

Top Bottom