Attila's Mods

I uploaded Version 6 of the mod. It now includes the UI changes to the Happiness and Policy turns left calculation from Thalassicus (thanks).

Thalassicus, you can include this mod with yours and link to it as well, as you see fit. The more people hear about it and use it the better.

While I am at this, I would like to mention that I am using two other UI mods that are really indispensable for me, City Willard and Diplo Willard.

Thanks Atilla and Thal, I use your mods combined and also the willards like you say. Good to hear I no longer have to change the files to make them work together. Great job.

I use the willards as well, quite useful.

One other thing:

Could you hide the "Help" button from the top-right of the user interface? In late game the info on the left side of the screen can spill over onto the right-side info at certain monitor resolutions, including my own. This is due to the additional information in the left panel (current tech written out, GP display, etc). Maybe hide the "menu" button too. Both of these can be accessed with F1 and Esc, respectively, so their presence on the visual interface is redundant for any moderately experienced Civ player -- the type of player likely to try out mods.

Since your mod focuses on fixing UI issues, it makes sense to include a few more. I've attached two files from the unofficial patch. TechTree.lua solves some issues with the pipes between techs. EnemyUnitPanel.lua somewhat fixes a problem where combat modifiers from promotions are not displayed on the unit cards when attacking a city.

Also, here's credits for the UI fixes, would be good to include these in a readme:

akamal - Happiness display with garrisoned units.
Perkus - Bonuses and penalties display when attacking cities.
JANorton - Technology linking issue.
lockstep - Off-by-one error on turns until next policy.

It's difficult to completely solve the second bug, since basically every single possible modifier has to be checked separately, and we don't know what all the functions are to do so. In addition, some modifiers work against both units and cities (like shock/drill) but others work only against units (accuracy/bombard), without any way to determine which is which without a manually created test map.

Attachments

• UI Bug Fixes.zip
    14.6 KB · Views: 76
Do I just put those files in the zip into Atillas mod folder until a new version is released?

I was told to try this mod. I have a question. How come plot info is not displayed anymore on tool tip? I miss this and having a hard time playing. What am I not seeing in this mod?

The features you mentioned are available as stand-alone mods that do not interfere with other mods, so I would rather just leave them that way. If the next patch alters those files, I would rather have the original authors incorporate the changes in their mods.

As for the Help and Menu buttons, perhaps just a question mark and an "M" would be good enough. I'd hate to remove the buttons altogether and then force people to use the function keys.

What resolution are you playing on. I play on 1600x1200 and I figured that most people would be at least on 1280 or more with 16:9 monitors. Any lower and there is definitely no room for the additional info that this mod displays.

Ganja, just download the individual mods and install them.
Davor, the plot info is removed to declutter the screen, as the same info is available in the tooltip. Set your tooltip delay to 0 and you will have the plot info and more as you move the mouse.

M and ? alleviate the problem somewhat, though not completely. Might work if the | bar between buttons is hidden (Update: unfortunately I couldn't find a reference to the | anywhere, it appears to be hardcoded). The extraneous bars and four spaces take up quite a bit of room.

Half of monitors are these three resolutions, especially since the recession cut a lot of people's budgets for buying new ones:

1024x768
1280x800
1280x1024

http://www.statowl.com/screen_resolution.php

My screen's native resolution is 1280x1024. :)

Ganja, just download the individual mods and install them.
Davor, the plot info is removed to declutter the screen, as the same info is available in the tooltip. Set your tooltip delay to 0 and you will have the plot info and more as you move the mouse.

Ah I see. Thank you very much for letting me know. I will do that now.

I realized a simple solution to the overlap: display "turns until next" for :c5goldenage: :c5culture: and :c5greatperson:, like with technologies. This information is more useful at a glance than the raw data (and raw data is visible in hover tooltips).

Attachments

• Overlap.JPG
    Overlap.JPG
    147.8 KB · Views: 677
Here it is... the Great Person text also color-codes to the type. (blue gold brown pink : scientist merchant engineer artist)

The attached version has the following changes:
  • Fixed a bug with golden age tooltip (the function wasn't initializing the tooltip string, resulting in a null error upon concatenation)
  • Added the UI files fixing the tech tree and combat card problems mentioned earlier
  • Culture and Great Person info now display "turns until next" instead of raw data
  • Strategic resources now display even if no units use it (this was an issue when the resource of Ironclads is changed to Iron).

Attachments

• Attila's mods (v 6 beta).zip
    60.8 KB · Views: 91
  • Top Bar.JPG
    Top Bar.JPG
    155.6 KB · Views: 717
I uploaded what is now Version 8 of the mod (7 was internal). It includes the changes suggested by Thalassicus - Turns to next Policy and Turns to next Great Person as well as changing the HELP button to a question mark to shorten the top panel display for people who play on lower resolutions.

As I said above I did not include the Tech Tree mod nor the EnemyUnitPanel mod as these are available stand-alone and do not interfere with the top panel.

For some reason the MENU button label did not change to M, as I see in your screenshot too Thal, but I think MENU looks better anyway and we don't need more room.

Ah right, forgot about what you mentioned earlier. Thank you for being patient with me, with so much info to keep track of on so many mods it's easy to overlook some things. Your logic is very reasonable, I understand your desire to not have to maintain it and will keep it in the unofficial patch mod. It's the same reason I don't usually bundle things I didn't create in with my combined pack -- easier to maintain.

The tech / unit card changes and such aren't actually part of any mod, just bits and pieces of small bugfixes I picked up (mostly off the bug report forum). The SocialPolicyPopup.lua file is part of the fix for "turns until next policy" though (it's a 2-part bug, both on the top bar and on the policies window), perhaps might include that one since half of it is in TopPanel.lua?

I agree there's no need to change the Menu button, looks great with ? for help and MENU for menu. There seems to be some sort of inconsistency with how the caps and no-caps versions of the text tag are handled for that one... didn't spend much time figuring it out exactly.

I made a small error in GPColors.xml. The Scientist one is

255:60:60:255

it should be

33:190:247:255

I'd copied from the wrong part of TopPanel.lua.

I've attached the folder with that change in GPColors.xml, and the "Menu" text tag updates removed from ShorterText.xml (since they weren't doing anything anyway).

I also found and fixed a small off-by-one bug with the Great People tooltip. The part showing the next 3 GP was calculating turns as floor(value + 1), when the correct formula is ceil(value).

numTurns = math.ceil( (threshold - GPList[maxKey3]) / rateOfChange );

Attachments

• Attila's mods (v 9).zip
    46 KB · Views: 86
Just wanted to say that this is a Great mod!
There are two small things I'd like to see in this mod personally. One of them is turns until border expansion displayed like turns until city growth and turns until building is complete. The second thing is that I'd like to see how many luxury resources I'm currently having instead of the total number to the most left (like Luxury Resources Display), this is of course a matter of taste but I'd appreciate if you could make a second lua/xml file for this if it's not too much to ask for.

I fixed a small bug where if the player has no culture income, the game would crash. This only can occur if you create the player in the world builder and forget to add a Palace. :crazyeye:

Attachments

• TopPanel.zip
    11.3 KB · Views: 68
Top Bottom