[NFP] August Update Video Thread

I don't mean to rain on the parade , but doesn't "revealing through Eureka" kind of defeat the purpose of hidden techs ?

Yes. They should have made it so eureka’s just increase your chance of getting that tech next. Or randomized eurekas somehow. Hopefully they decide to offer an option to turn them off. It defeats the purpose otherwise.

Eurekas need a rework. I get it if playing my usual speed where an early tech may take 350 turns, but on standard speed techs are like 1-12 turns.

Maybe rather than a boost, they should lock certain techs behind them. And wonders. And units.

They basically addressed it in the video. People (like me) were complaining that we couldn't play with Maya/GC without also adding the "fantasy" wonders in the pack: Bermuda Triangle, Paititi, Fountain of Youth. Now we can use NFP 1 without the dumb natural wonders.
For the like 5% of my games they appear in they sure seemed to unreasonably dominate conversation at times

Did the Natural Wonder picker actually address an issue, or does it solve a problem that nobody has?

Most are pretty unimpressive.Many I don't think offer great value, but I don't think the're actually worth excising.

Were the some that people were complaining about?

I hate to say, but some wonders ruin a game for me. Usually the ones I find ugly, like that huge one that looks like alien space vomit.

I hate to say, but some wonders ruin a game for me. Usually the ones I find ugly, like that huge one that looks like alien space vomit.
"I find that answer vague and unconvincing." :p (Which exactly are you talking about? I could hypothetically see that as a description of Gobustan, Pamukkale, or the Chocolate Hills. :p Pamukkale may be my favorite wonder in the game; Gobustan was somewhat poorly designed visually but I'm nevertheless ecstatic it's in the game--it just needed to focus on more than the mud volcanoes exclusively; Chocolate Hills are kinda meh in real life and didn't need to be a Natural Wonder IMO.)

For the like 5% of my games they appear in they sure seemed to unreasonably dominate conversation at times
It's more that they chose to invent wonders when there are no shortage of wondrous places in real life. Also that one of the wonders is literally an unremarkable patch of ocean that just happens to have an urban legend attached to it.

"I find that answer vague and unconvincing." :p (Which exactly are you talking about? I could hypothetically see that as a description of Gobustan, Pamukkale, or the Chocolate Hills. :p Pamukkale may be my favorite wonder in the game; Gobustan was somewhat poorly designed visually but I'm nevertheless ecstatic it's in the game--it just needed to focus on more than the mud volcanoes exclusively; Chocolate Hills are kinda meh in real life and didn't need to be a Natural Wonder IMO.)

It's more that they chose to invent wonders when there are no shortage of wondrous places in real life. Also that one of the wonders is literally an unremarkable patch of ocean that just happens to have an urban legend attached to it.

The big silvery one. I see that, its a reroll.

The big silvery one. I see that, its a reroll.
That would be Pamukkale, and it's gorgeous. :( TBH I agree with the people who want a three-way toggle among forced/allowed/banned because it's been ages since I've seen Pamukkale in the game. :(

That would be Pamukkale, and it's gorgeous. :( TBH I agree with the people who want a three-way toggle among forced/allowed/banned because it's been ages since I've seen Pamukkale in the game. :(

Gorgeous? It's so ugly. The texture doesn't blend in with the rest of the game's terrain at all, and the water is just opaque and plastic looking. The whole thing clashes with the rest of the art in the game.

Well, for my first game with the wonder selection, the Bermuda Triangle is in, because I've never seen it. I've gotten Paititi, and FoY twice. Can't remember if I've ever gotten Yosemite, tho I've gotten Crater Lake, rather meh IMO.

Gorgeous? It's so ugly. The texture doesn't blend in with the rest of the game's terrain at all, and the water is just opaque and plastic looking. The whole thing clashes with the rest of the art in the game.
I think it looks fine. No other non-lake wonder has water so there's nothing to compare it to on that front, and I don't think its art style is so different from any other Natural Wonder. It's not like Salt Flats are a terrain feature (but they should be) for them to blend into. If you want an ugly Natural Wonder I nominate the Pantanal or the Chocolate Hills. As @SammyKhalifa pointed out, Pamukkale looks very much like it does in real life.

They didn't invent anything. These places all left real marks in the annals of history.
The Bermuda Triangle is a patch of empty ocean with nothing remarkable about it. The Fountain of Youth doesn't exist. Paititi's existence is dubious at best. Mt. Ararat exists. Denali exists. Mt. Fuji exists. Lake Baikal exists.

@SammyKhalifa @Zaarin I know it's accurate in its depiction but I just think more could have been done to stylize it for better melding with the game's art direction. It's really the least visually pleasing wonder in the game.

They didn't invent anything. These places all left real marks in the annals of history.

Bingo. They're still significant. And Bermuda has the coolest effect..

It's really the least visually pleasing wonder in the game.
Not as long as Pantanal and Chocolate Hills are in the game. :p Like I said, I think it looks great.

They're still significant.
Sure, they're significant, but a lot of existing significant places aren't in the game. Why create mythical Natural Wonders when the world is absolutely filled to the brim with real ones? Many of which were far more culturally significant than the fantastic ones.

Sure, they're significant, but a lot of existing significant places aren't in the game. Why create mythical Natural Wonders when the world is absolutely filled to the brim with real ones? Many of which were far more culturally significant than the fantastic ones.

Just pointing out I don't think they've reused any of the Natural Wonders from 5 (except the Fountain of Youth), so they may want to save some for 7.

I sincerely don't mind the fictional wonders, since it's fictions like the Fountain of Youth and Paititi that stimulated human's will and ambition to explore, and exploration it's part of the core idea of 4x games.

I do admit that Bermuda Triangle is a strange choice, but Paititi is definitely my favorite.

And if it's possible I would love to see a Mount Penglai wonder in the game (basically a more traditional East Asian version of Fountain of Youth).

@SammyKhalifa @Zaarin I know it's accurate in its depiction but I just think more could have been done to stylize it for better melding with the game's art direction. It's really the least visually pleasing wonder in the game.
I mean fair enough if you just don't like it.

I sincerely don't mind the fictional wonders, since it's fictions like the Fountain of Youth and Paititi that stimulated human's will and ambition to explore, and exploration it's part of the core idea of 4x games.

I do admit that Bermuda Triangle is a strange choice, but Paititi is definitely my favorite; if it's possible I would love to see a Mount Penglai wonder in the game.
I wonder if they're considering using topography/altitude in the next civ map engine. Things like Grand Canyon, Angel Falls, etc would be much easier to implement

I do admit that Bermuda Triangle is a strange choice, but Paititi is definitely my favorite.
I don't have a major problem with the Fountain of Youth or Paititi either. I could live with them, despite being miffed about missing out on real Natural Wonders. It's the Bermuda Triangle that's really off-putting to me and probably the only one of the fantasy wonders I'll actually disable.

Just pointing out I don't think they've reused any of the Natural Wonders from 5 (except the Fountain of Youth), so they may want to save some for 7.
Mount Everest, Great Barrier Reef, and Kilimanjaro are also repeats. TBH in the future I'd like to see a much greater quantity of Natural Wonders, and I don't mind repeats in that regard.

I don't have a major problem with the Fountain of Youth or Paititi either. I could live with them, despite being miffed about missing out on real Natural Wonders. It's the Bermuda Triangle that's really off-putting to me and probably the only one of the fantasy wonders I'll actually disable.

Things about Bermuda Triangle is that I don't think it can generate any science.

On the other hand we already have Mt. Kilimanjaro yeeting out foods and Torres del Paine magically doubling anything by its side like a cornucopia.

So on a second thought, maybe it's more of an implementation problem. If Bermuda is a wonder that constantly generating hurricanes that's more like it.

Top Bottom