1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Summer Patch discussion thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Cerilis, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Chibisuke

Chibisuke Warlord

This is more or less true. The new walls system is a double edged sword. It slows down early player zerg rushes so that a super aggressive human player cannot totally steamroll all of the world within the first 100 turns (AI seems to get walls up by about turn 40-50.) However, because walls are so powerful, AI simply cannot handle them if it is against a player who knows what they are doing.

So in sum, the current walls (A) slows humans, and (B) stops AI. The devs might think this is a fair tradeoff for the immense AI bonuses on deity or immortal, but for lower difficulties it certainly would make the game a cakewalk.

Again though, I don't know how they can weaken walls at this point without throwing off the balance even further unless they just make a modifier that makes humans walls weaker on low difficulty setting.

2. Stringer1313

Stringer1313 Emperor

Thx for this advice. I am not sure if I have seen #1 happen even when my warmongering penalties are past -100. And I also agree with teh above poster re walls

3. Stringer1313

Stringer1313 Emperor

What if they just removed the ability for walls to fire? (You actually have to station a ranged) And obviously changed the AI cost-benefit algorithm.

Also I don't love how civic engineering automatically gives you walls. They should make the prior walls obsolete (and maybe have them start generating tourism/culture) but I don't like that you automatically get them.

4. EditorRex

EditorRex Master of Allusion

It does seem like True Earth Starts should control for era since some of the civs in the game (or who will be in the game) overlap with others. Just speculating, but there might be rules like:
    Ancient/Classical starts: China, Japan, India, Sumer, Egypt, Greece (one or the other but not both leaders), Scythia, Rome
    Medieval/Renaissance starts: China, Japan, India, Arabia, Russia, Norway, Poland, Germany, France, England, Spain, Montezuma
    Industrial or later starts: China, Japan, India, Arabia, Russia, Norway, Poland, Germany, France, England, Spain, Congo, America, Brazil, Australia

I'm probably forgetting someone, but you get the idea.

5. EditorRex

EditorRex Master of Allusion

A lot of strong players spend most of their time on Pangaea maps where civs with strong naval traits make less sense. I don't believe Victoria is one of the stronger civs in VI, but she probably has gotten an unfairly bad reputation. In Continents maps in which you can capitalize on her colonizing advantages, she seems quite strong. The free Redcoats are quite remarkable.

Tiger Genocide, whyidie and nzcamel like this.
  6. KyivanRusCivPlease

KyivanRusCivPlease Prince

What does one of the Balance Changes in the latest patch "Units that are embarked now use an era-based strength value instead of their base combat value" mean?

7. Chibisuke

Chibisuke Warlord

I think that is meant to nerf the defensive power of melee or ranged units who are in the water. Previously they kept their regular strength which didn't make sense since they should be more vulnerable.

KyivanRusCivPlease and nzcamel like this.
  8. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

As a practical matter; it's now extremely easy whenever fighting an AI on a different landmass from you to slaughter their army as they attempt to cross it even when your navy is right next to the crossing they are attempting.

Tiger Genocide likes this.
  9. sa1vy

sa1vy Warlord

I guess this means it's a pretty big buff to naval units, which is good. Hopefully the AI recognizes this and will now build any naval units.

10. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

That would be a No, it currently doesn't from what I've seen.
    AI China built a lot of land units in Quill's game as Australia but no navy at all; it's the one that got slaughtered I alluded to in the above post. (And remember this was an Island Plates map; so if there any modifiers to AI behavior for water based start it was already in effect)
    AI America did build a navy (quite a few Frigates), but no army to speak of.

It's known that in Civ V Navy flavor was separate than Army flavor and it's likely the same in Civ VI.

11. Pietato

Pietato Emperor

Each era adds 5 (I think) defense to embarked units, and every unit has the same defense. It really helps low defense units like scouts, who no longer get one shot in the Ocean by barbs.

nzcamel likes this.
  12. sa1vy

sa1vy Warlord

This is unfortunate :(

I like this system. It did get annoying having your scouts die super easily in the water. Although, does this mean they could have higher defense in the water than on land? That doesn't make much sense.

13. Pietato

Pietato Emperor

Much, much higher defense on the water than on land for Scouts. I think they (and everything else) had 60 in the modern era.

14. sa1vy

sa1vy Warlord

Lol, that's dumb. I don't really like the system anymore. It still seems super exploitable.