1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Summer Patch discussion thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Cerilis, Feb 23, 2017.

1. guss900900

guss900900 Chieftain

Could some one give me an idea how to access the new tool in the 2017 update??(novice)

2. Chibisuke

Chibisuke Warlord

I'm wondering with the new modding tools, when is someone going to come out with a Civ 6 version of "really advanced setup." I would enjoy messing around with the locations of natural wonders. Like, I'd really like to try starting next to Giants Causeway a few times :)

3. Silverdawn

Silverdawn Prince

Guesses based on these pictures: http://www.activewild.com/australian-animals-list/
    Western Australia: Numbat
    Victoria: Quokka

Halcyan2 likes this.
  4. ThERat

ThERat Deity

So I started another always war game on emperor and boy, this time the AI poses a real challenge :) Between taming barbarians I have to handle 6 enemy AIs (selected Pangaea). It took my forever and a bit to conquer Rome as their city defenses were just so strong against my archers. Only the late arrival of catapults sped the ultimate demise of Rome a little up.

Some AIs struggle with barbarians, hence I make sure only to take care of the barbarians around my sphere of influence. However, as I was about to wrap up the Roman campaign using archers, a catapult, hoplites and a horse, suddenly Kongo shows up with knights. Finally, the AI is using up to date units.

I am excited how this will play out. It is a vast improvement over the previous snooze fests of emperor AW.

5. MaximusPlatypus

MaximusPlatypus O.O

They actually have a fair amount of crossbowmen in Medieval. Archery is not a leaf tech anymore, so they upgrade their slingers > archers > crossbowmen

nzcamel likes this.
  6. Pietato

Pietato Emperor

I just played a Deity game, and Barbarians were about to eliminate England. I was warring with her, and noticed no new troops were attacking me, after I just razed her ice city. So I moved my army to her capital, only to see everything pillaged, barbarians everywhere, and the city on red health about to fall. I only just managed to beat the barbs in taking the city. This was at the warrior and archer stage.

Leathaface likes this.
  7. Yzman

Yzman Deity

Do barbarians actually take the city? Never actually seen a barbarian city in this game.

nzcamel likes this.
  8. sa1vy

sa1vy Warlord

My intuition tells me that barbs can take neither capitols nor city-states, ever, both being un-razeable. Edit: barbs can take other cities, and they always immediately raze them.

I've had games in which I completely ignored the barbs attacking my capital. They can take it all the way to 0, but not be able to take it. I have to do further testing, but I don't think they can ever take capitals. I've used this to my advantage several times. I've forsaken developing the land around my capital, opting my first 5 or 6 builds to be slingers/archers. The barbs can't pillage anything if there isn't anything to pillage :lol:. Taking enemy cities will provide many of the eurekas/inspirations you need, and the barbs are good target practice for getting one promotion level, which you can carry into your first war for easy healing. There really isn't anything more the barbs can do to you. It's actually pretty funny. The only downside is finding a way to get your units out of your capital to safety.

4N4C0ND4 and whyidie like this.
  9. Pietato

Pietato Emperor

Oh, so I guess they had smashed her city to 0, and were now just chilling. Crazy.

10. sonicmyst

sonicmyst Emperor

Has anyone ever experienced get nuked by enemy AI? I do. On King difficulty.

Buckets and Siptah like this.
  11. nzcamel

nzcamel Nahtanoj the Magnificent

Not building early improvements is one thing (can take a while to prioritise a builder anyway) but I think they should change that capitals cannot be taken by barbs. With player capitals anyway. It distorts priorities.

12. Gengsikan

Gengsikan Chieftain

Yes they take and burn your city.

13. Joch

Joch Warlord

started a new game on "King". Nice to see the Devs are further tweaking/improving the game.

Tried the new true location/earth map. very nice.

I did have to face early attacks from Barbs, but not a problem to deal with and it does provide some action early on.

It just confirms that your first priority should always to to build up an Army to deal with Barbarians and aggressive early Civs. 2 warriors/2 archers seems like a good sized force for the early game.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
    4N4C0ND4 and nzcamel like this.
  14. blasto

blasto Prince

I'm noticing a difference. Playing small, king, with max AI for map (8 I think?), and I'm on turn 220 already and have yet to have a war declared on me. That's a first....

15. isau

isau Deity

The AI is so much better after this patch that for my Combined Tweaks mod (which was written in part to make game rules easier for the AI to follow) I've had to drop 2 difficulty levels to keep up. The main changes my mod makes are to where you can build Walls (they require an Encampment w/ a Stable or Barracks) and give most units +1 move point. In a recent Emperor game (before I lowered difficulty) I got dual declared by England and Germany around turn 60. England raced in and stole one of my satellite cities in less than 3 turns. It was impressive. I didn't "officially" lose the game in the end because the capital was hard to get to, but for all practical purposes losing the city and all of my units put me out of the game.

I am still unclear on how well they do against Walls. I made them harder to build specifically to help the AI be menacing, like it was back in the Civ 4 days. Well, that part is working at least :D

Tiger Genocide, CivCube, c4c6 and 3 others like this.
  16. Chibisuke

Chibisuke Warlord

AI struggles with walls but that's sorta to be expected. The devs made walls super strong to force everyone to utilize siege units. Well using siege units properly requires higher level of tactics because they are easily destroyed and all units are more valuable in this game. It's not like before where you could just pump out a ton of catapult and if 5 die no problem. Unit's take longer to build and theres more "other" stuff needing to be built like district.

So AI doesn't use siege units well since it isn't able to strategize like a human, and it's easy for your defenses to pick their siege units off. I don't think this can be fixed without making walls weaker, which would break the game in other ways.

17. HoboCop

HoboCop Chieftain

Did they change the way trade routes display your tourism modifier, or is that just broken now? Used to be I could look in the trade route screen and see what civs I was getting a bonus from. Now only my internal ones show it. I'm also having really bad performance issues mid-late game, lots of stuttering. Saving and restarting clears it up for a bit, but it comes back.

18. Stringer1313

Stringer1313 Emperor

My continued problem is that the AI never seems to declare war against me in mid-late game even post-patch. Early game is good now, but mid-late game continues to be boring, and a "click next turn" fest b/c building takes forever. In one of my games, I was going for a cultural victory but it was so boring that I randomly declared war on a neighbor (resulting in everyone but one hating me) just to mix things up. I shouldn't have to do that to keep things interesting. I wish they would introduce some more mid-late game game-changing mechanics that are fun (sigh, I know this will end up being an expansion rather than patch), and actually have AI declare war you in later eras.

19. Wingednosering

Wingednosering Prince

I played many more Immortal games and I've come to this conclusion:

Without walls: the AI is downright brutal. I once had every civ in the game declare war on me by turn 60. They effectively swarm your cities and capture them. I had two games in a row that I lost by turn 100 just because I wasn't expecting them to attack the way they did.

With walls: AIs are timid and almost never come within range. They will wait until they have a siege unit or two (which makes sense), but even then, they can't position them correctly. Once you have ancient walls, you can basically coast to the end of the game.

They need to split the difference somehow. The early game shouldn't be all death, war and mayhem. Peaceful play should be possible, even if it isn't realistic. At the same time, by the time all your cities get fortifications for free, the AI has no more cards up its sleeve and has no way to take the victory away from you.

Barbs just further complicate this whole issue. I made a separate thread for them, so I won't rehash it here. Needless to say, they went the wrong direction with them.

Tiger Genocide likes this.
  20. Chibisuke

Chibisuke Warlord

From my perspective on deity play, there are two ways to get the AI to declare war on you in mid to late game. (1) make them hate you a lot by being a warmonger for most of the game, and (2) start to win by a lot.

The first should be obvious since the AI's hatred of you does seem to contribute to their likelihood of declaring war, but I have also noticed that any game where I start to pull away on a victory conditions or if I just get lucky early on and start to seriously dominate, multiple AI civs will DoW me.

Tiger Genocide and whyidie like this.