Australian Summer Patch discussion thread

Just finished my first game with Australia on a 4 player map. First:

The A.I seems to prioritize walls now, and they seem to build way more archers now. This made early conquest much harder after the first A.I, as the second had walls and a bunch of archers.
Last built bug and edge scrolling still not fixed. No changes to production either, its still a crawl past the early game, no tech cost changes as well.

As for Australia:
Because bonuses are so skewed toward early game ones being the best, they are up there with Gorgo in terms of early level runaway. I popped an early campus with +6 or something like that right away and ran away with the game from there. Being able to have every commercial hub come in with around +4ish just gives you such an early lead. Unfortunately, the bonus doesn't work with IZ, which is the one that needed it the most. Pasture culture bombs were cool. Didn't even get to duggers.

So it looks like Australia will continue the tradition of OP DLC civs, and will likely be a "No GER/AUS/GRC/GIL" in player on player MP games. Have not had the chance to play the scenario yet.

edit:Barbs seem more aggressive, but I think the game rolls for aggressiveness in the beginning of the game, so it could be a fluke. They still do that annoying thing though where if your units are around and an A.I has units around they will always attack your units. Its really immersion breaking.

There is an undocumented change to the Advanced Options screen where you can now choose the number of City States.
This will make it a lot easier for getting those really tough to get improvement-next-to-wonder achievements.

Is it just me, or are barbarians even more vicious than before? I'm playing a game as John Curtin, and all 4 of my cities have been fighting off barbarian HORSEMEN since like 20 turns ago. It's like they spawn infinitely.

Barbarians do seem a little more aggressive. I noticed scouts are attacking other scouts now too.

There is an undocumented change to the Advanced Options screen where you can now choose the number of City States.

Also an option on whether teams share visibility. Not sure if they mentioned it before since I don't really care about MP.

They've also made major changes to the way the mods screen works. Sorta good, sorta bad. One gotcha is if you've got mods installed watch out because when you start your first game they are ALL enabled.

Those are both documented int he patch notes

Just finished my first game with Australia on a 4 player map. First:

The A.I seems to prioritize walls now, and they seem to build way more archers now. This made early conquest much harder after the first A.I, as the second had walls and a bunch of archers.
Last built bug and edge scrolling still not fixed. No changes to production either, its still a crawl past the early game, no tech cost changes as well.

As for Australia:
Because bonuses are so skewed toward early game ones being the best, they are up there with Gorgo in terms of early level runaway. I popped an early campus with +6 or something like that right away and ran away with the game from there. Being able to have every commercial hub come in with around +4ish just gives you such an early lead. Unfortunately, the bonus doesn't work with IZ, which is the one that needed it the most. Pasture culture bombs were cool. Didn't even get to duggers.

So it looks like Australia will continue the tradition of OP DLC civs, and will likely be a "No GER/AUS/GRC/GIL" in player on player MP games. Have not had the chance to play the scenario yet.

edit:Barbs seem more aggressive, but I think the game rolls for aggressiveness in the beginning of the game, so it could be a fluke. They still do that annoying thing though where if your units are around and an A.I has units around they will always attack your units. Its really immersion breaking.

I'm guessing that by putting Archery in the main tech path, the AI won't skip it as much.

As for the multi-player, if you're up to 4 civs that feel OP, isn't that enough that they can just all be opened up again and let people choose from them?

Barbarians do seem a little more aggressive. I noticed scouts are attacking other scouts now too.
From the notes: "Barbarians now rampage when their camp is destroyed."

So archery is needed for horseback riding... hmm.
Computers doesn't need Printing.
Robotics doesn't need Machinery/Metal Casting/Steel/Replaceable Parts.
Nanotechnology doesn't need Mathematics/Education/Scientific Theory/Electricity.
And Uranium, Nuclear Fission, AND NUCLEAR FUSION don't need Chemistry.

Yup, tech tree is perfect.

From the notes: "Barbarians now rampage when their camp is destroyed."

I was wondering about that.. does it mean extra barbs spawn when a camp is destroyed, OR that if you somehow managed to destroy the camp before killing all the barbs it spawned, the ones that remain alive become more enraged and start suicide attacking you?

I'm guessing that by putting Archery in the main tech path, the AI won't skip it as much.

As for the multi-player, if you're up to 4 civs that feel OP, isn't that enough that they can just all be opened up again and let people choose from them?

In player on player? Well Gilgamesh gets axed because he gets to knock out a player for free essentially. So if your the unlucky guy who starts next to him your dead. Makes for unfun gameplay, his cart is just to strong in the hands of a human and there really isn't much you can do about it. Greece and Germany are actually pretty ok, but everybody else has to deal with playing against a civ that is just inherently better then theres. Right now it looks like thats the case with Australia, there early game bonuses snowball to hard, and there ability is exploitable if two players are colluding. Granted any civ would be fine with enough players, but its rare to get up more then 4 actual players in MP.

edit:You see no POL sometimes , but thats mostly because there culture bomb is super exploitable, especially in no rush games. It basically lets you "Raze" a city without a DOW by forward settling and then culture bombing there important production/food tiles. This is all specifically for player on player, and specifically for games where you have 2 to 5 humans.

when u get a mod on the workshop where the hell does the Mod get Downloaded to?

Edit: Found out where

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\289070

Last edited:
"Start position and map generation has been tuned."

Hopefully this means starting positions are better spread out across the map vs. everybody clustered together in one half and the other half vacant

Well, never had a problem with stability in Civ VI but after the patch I have a game that now crashes after a certain turn every time. Sends the crash notes to Firaxis. Hope they fix it.

Hopefully this means starting positions are better spread out across the map vs. everybody clustered together in one half and the other half vacant

After a few test starts it seems to be that they just guarantee better production now, but will need to test more to see. It seems that the base game has been using ciV start generator, which is why you get a lot of terrible high food starts.

Scouts are attacking EVERYTHING now... I had a barb scout attack my PIkeman... didn't fair to well though lol

I also noticed a nice little graphic addition... there is blowing snow in the Tundra, although difficult to see.

The Outback station can be OP... I got a grassland tile with 7 food and 3 production (3 pastures around it) before upgrades lol

I hope so as well, inland sea was especially bad. It didn't seem to differentiate between city-states and players when placing, when it should try and place players equally spread out and then put the city states in the gaps.

So far I'm liking Australia! My capital started with a pop 10 cap. First 100 turns, never had to even think about building granaries, or farms for that matter. Beyond Australia specific things, I'm not seeing a lot of differences elsewhere. The game started me on a lil peninsula with Jadwiga at the base of it. She didn't put up any fight whatsoever. Now my empire is getting kinda big and I'm plowing through techs every 3 turns.

So archery is needed for horseback riding... hmm.
Computers doesn't need Printing.
Robotics doesn't need Machinery/Metal Casting/Steel/Replaceable Parts.
Nanotechnology doesn't need Mathematics/Education/Scientific Theory/Electricity.
And Uranium, Nuclear Fission, AND NUCLEAR FUSION don't need Chemistry.

Yup, tech tree is perfect.
Because any tree is artificial. What previous Civ tree was right?

Anyone besides me having sound issues? The battle sounds (swinging axes) and worker finishing sounds (Pix Axe coming down) are no longer present. Verified game cache, reboot, etc.. sounds still missing

Hmm, started a completely new game and the sounds are back. Shrugs shoulders.

Nerfed Commercial Hubs/Harbors

'Commercial Hub and Harbor both provide +1 Trade Route capacity, but only the first one applies (used to stack for +2 capacity total).'

Only the first one you build in a city gives you another trade route right? That's how I read it.

Top Bottom