Awilder's First Deity Game (Frederick/fractal/normal/no events/no huts)

Watch out if someone near you built the great wall, that will mean streams of barbs from all around their territory will go around them and possibly head toward you. I had a few games like that with never-ending barbs headed my way until the 1500 BC's.

I'm not apposed to settling Munich where you did, I just think you should have settled it later because it will be slow to get going ( 20+ turns to work the seafood at least ).

Instead I would have settled the plains near the river to the east of hamburg.

Munich could have also been settled 1S of the copper, that way you'd get the block, and get the rice online much quicker than waiting for a border pop + work boat (also no barb galley annoyance). The barb city then could have been razed and resettled to grab the clams. Definately not saying that what you did was wrong, the city is definately in a better long term spot as dry rice is a bit average as a food source. Its just one of those many decisions in Civ where you have to make a short term/long term trade off and it's very hard to quantify which one is better when it's this close.

Archers are much better defenders than chariots. With a forrest/jungle heavy map, they fog bust/explore better too. When REXing on Deity, a single chariot in new cities is not adaquate against barbs, but usually a single archer is.

On this map, I would have gone AH-Archery-BW-wheel-fishing-pottery (cottages)-myth

With early archers, you could try to settle the Corn/gold/rivers to the west since that spot can be lost to the AIs much sooner. The horse/pig/fish site is in your back yard which you could grab later.

I don't agree, the archery thingi is true for maps where they come from most directions with AIs a bit further away, but this is not the case here. Cyrus blocks them away, and that little Pinsulana can be lighted out to stop it.
On top of it he has bronze, Archery iam sorry to say it but in this case it would be a complete waste.

This is scary. That evil Cyrus settling his city right on your doorstep! And that barbarian city on top of a hill? Where is some luck for 1st time player at Deity?

I hope that the peninsula has some good land and resources.

I hate the feeling of being boxed in, but in this case, that might just well be.

Good job on fending off the initial barbarian horde though! ^_^ I will be looking more for your update!

@abcf

I also wanted to get pottery in before mysticism, but unfortunately fishing is useless without border pops in cities 2 and 3 (suppose I could have gone 1e on city 2 to lose pig and gain fish). Re: archery- if I had to do it again I may have gone w. Archery, but my commerce is so low it may have been just as risky!

I don't agree, the archery thingi is true for maps where they come from most directions with AIs a bit further away, but this is not the case here. Cyrus blocks them away, and that little Pinsulana can be lighted out to stop it.
On top of it he has bronze, Archery iam sorry to say it but in this case it would be a complete waste.

In a crowded map on Deity, the window of opportunity for settling good cities is very short.

On this map, in order to get chariots to protect your settlers, you have to research the Wheel (more expensive than archery)+ settle the horse city (1 extra settler) + build roads and pasture to connect the horse. This means many turns delay compare to sending out archer/settler parties for those great spots further away.

We start with hunting, archery can be researched right after AH. Even if I just get one more good cities because of archery it is well worth the 8 turns of investment.

saying Archery is a waste here is a bit hind-sight.

@awilder

I said fishing-pottery is simply the faster way to get to pottery by skipping Agri. Since the capital can work cottages ASAP.

I never said you need horses to protect your first settler, normally you fogbust the spots you aim at with warriors ;)
Why would you get 1 more good city on this map with archery, i'd be happy if you could describe that, and not just throw out theories.

I never said you need horses to protect your first settler, normally you fogbust the spots you aim at with warriors ;)

If you are brave enough to fogbust and protect cities 10 tiles away from the Capital with just warriors on Deity, all the power to you.

When I do that, I tend to lose cities to a single barb archer.

Why would you get 1 more good city on this map with archery, i'd be happy if you could describe that, and not just throw out theories.

Research Archery right after AH, then BW, build an Archer, send it toward the Corn/Gold/River site, have another warrior to fogbust the route leading to that city, then build/chop a settler and settle that spot protected by the archer. There, you got a super city before you could even hook up the horse. And no worry about losing this city to barb archers.

That's why i ment please describe it for the current map, you would settle a city 10 tiles away towards Cyrus?
But let's not clutter up this thread, can't agree on everything ;)

The corn/gold/2x dye is actually 9 tiles away from capital. Yes I would settle that without hesitation. Why not? The gold will double your research..

It is toward KK.

The corn/gold/2x dye is actually 9 tiles away from capital. Yes I would settle that without hesitation. Why not? The gold will double your research..

It is toward KK.

Ok.This site looks good to Mr. Kublai as well, most likely. Deity AIs will settle anything with ressources, in the other game i had Sitting Bull run through a narrow path between my cultural borders and plant a city right next to mine. Really hopeless position for him, but they do not care.

So, given you get there in time which isn't a sure thing at all considering his borders are already 2 tiles away from the corn, for your plan you still need to: research archery and build an archer (no chopping, no slavery without BW). Build the settler. Move it over, which is another ~6 turns.

You can try that, sure :)
But if you play with the morale "if my approach fails, the game is lost" aka no reloads, you have a decent chance to loose the game right there. Moving a settler over this distance, teching a dead end thingi like Archery for it, and not getting the spot in the end is most likey not recoverable.

+ KK is creative and he will settle something close to these ressources, i would be very surprised if not, which makes it an uphill battle for a long time.

So, given you get there in time which isn't a sure thing at all considering his borders are already 2 tiles away from the corn, for your plan you still need to: research archery and build an archer (no chopping, no slavery without BW). Build the settler. Move it over, which is another ~6 turns.

Archery gives you a better chance and the safety to grab better cities earlier in this game, is it really that hard to see?

But if you play with the morale "if my approach fails, the game is lost" aka no reloads, you have a decent chance to loose the game right there.

If you play "no reload" Deity game, you should be much much more worried about using just warriors for protecting your cities.

+ KK is creative and he will settle something close to these ressources, i would be very surprised if not, which makes it an uphill battle for a long time.

Get the good resources in your first ring and worry about the culture later. You can improve culture in your cities too right.

I played a short round to research writing and build the library in Berlin

Building went:
-finish barracks and make a few axes in Berlin followed by library
-finish monuments in seafood cities, time workboats 1t before border pop
-hamburg 2pop whipped a settler into a library

Here's some other stuff:

It is a peninsula:

Spoiler :

And that is a juicy barb city! (see below for full shot taken later)

Spoiler :

Next a trade

Spoiler :

This might look crazy, but my logic:
-marble is so good as to totally alter your pre-AD game
-TGlib is excellent with philo
-I don't need horse atm (have access to copper now, and have two scouter chariots), and in my experience if you leave marble on the table for one turn an AI will snap it up. Can't give up ivory here as I need the happiness.

I'm so short on commerce, I work an unlighthoused coast tile:

Spoiler :

Another happy trade:

Spoiler :

Bad news:

Spoiler :

Wang is on peninsula. The land is sweet, but he gets the best of it :(. Pretty sure America is down there too.

Some more happy news

Spoiler :

I end the round like I said with the Lib in (slider off beforehand as usual). 4 turns to Pottery. Here's empire

Spoiler :

Cursor is on 2worker+settler. I plan to settle 1S of rice and work rice + grow cottages with this city and basically build nothing. Chop a library and later 4 pop whip a uni probably. It may be better to settle somewhere else first, but where? I need help on landgrab!

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Most of the great land is taken, but I think I can squeeze in 6-7 cities. 6 unis may be a problem tho, even with philo. There is the SW fish site with 2 hills? And the cows but that's it.

I have an army of 4 axes with cr1 and a c1 chariot headed to the barb city. I hope that's enough to take it in two turns but maybe need one more axe?

I think at this point it's appropriate to beeline aesth->lit and go for the great lib. I chopped a little awkwardly in my capital; leaving some trees that need to go for cottages anyway. Oh wells.

Suggestions on builds/tech order/settling?? Nothing is set in stone here.

Attachments

• AwilderDeity1280BC.CivBeyondSwordSave
    135.5 KB · Views: 61
OK so I forgot I don't have farming yet, so the irrigate rice plan is not so hot. Still, I think I will settle the rice city next turn and use the workers to prechop/chop clear the cottage spots. I just don't see a great spot left for me outside my borders.

The chops will likely fund 1 more axe+ a worker. Only 3 workers atm.

Top Bottom