Babylon Info

Nebby looks so cool. Please tell me when someone uploads his diplomacy animations to YT.
Babylon's unique bonuses are very nice too. Too bad I preordered the regular edition. :/

This guy rocks! Love the green fire on either side of his throne :)

sounds a bit stupid if u ask me.

so basically you can get writing and use the free scientist to bulb philosophy and get the oracle for free, long before the egyptians and their +20% wonder will even begin to START the wonder...

Whats more you get +100% great person (scientist) production for the rest of the game.

Then there's the bowman that has the same melee str as a warrior and 8 ranged str...

so you got a civ that has both military and scientific bonuses at the start, how is a civ like ottoman supposed to compete? 50% chance of 25gold and a galley? i mean its not even 100% just to add insult to injury...

Keep in mind that the Bowman won't be able to attack, so you can't replace Warriors with Bowmen except on defense.

As much as I often vie for Scientific victories or emphasize research, are Steam or D2D a better deal than the retail, just by virtue of having Babylonia?

Wasn't it clear that some people gonna complain about the first "alternate content"? :D

They'll probably make it available as a DLC later on.

Was there ever any confirmation that Babylon / extras will be available as DLC? I only got the regular version, and I'm suffering from buyer's remorse of a sort that I didn't get the deluxe ;)

Was there ever any confirmation that Babylon / extras will be available as DLC? I only got the regular version, and I'm suffering from buyer's remorse of a sort that I didn't get the deluxe ;)

Firaxis would be smart enough to use this ways to get lots of cash.;)

Keep in mind that the Bowman won't be able to attack, so you can't replace Warriors with Bowmen except on defense
?
Why would you need to attack? Ranged attack works just fine on offense. Do you just mean for the last move to capture a city with zero hp? Are we really sure a ranged unit can't do that?

The only advantage of a warrior is lower cost, but I can't see myself building any warriors if I had bowmen available.
Also worth noting that bowmen are potentially better counters to chariot archers than spearmen.

Was there ever any confirmation that Babylon / extras will be available as DLC
No.

They'll probably make it available as a DLC later on.

Hope so. I'm receiving the collector's edition, hopefully today if Amazon plays their part, as a birthday gift. Ozymandias be damned!

Anyway, I don't think it comes with the DLC, which I'd really like more than the metal GDR, but I'll not look a gift horse in the mouth, so to speak.

?
Why would you need to attack? Ranged attack works just fine on offense. Do you just mean for the last move to capture a city with zero hp? Are we really sure a ranged unit can't do that?

The only advantage of a warrior is lower cost, but I can't see myself building any warriors if I had bowmen available.
Also worth noting that bowmen are potentially better counters to chariot archers than spearmen..

Yes, we are very sure a ranged unit cannot do that. I've been avoiding speculation, but seeing as it's playable now.... Free to discuss what is actually in the game. :lol:

Yes, we are very sure a ranged unit cannot do that. I've been avoiding speculation, but seeing as it's playable now.... Free to discuss what is actually in the game. :lol:

So, you'd need one single warrior for city capture purposes.

For every other warrior, you'd still be better off with a bowman.
There is no reason why you can't use bowmen offensively.

BTW for a discussion of a 6 melee 8 ranged unit look at some of the stuff in the "Contemplations of Ghandi" or the "UU a day" threads when it comes to India's War Elephants. Basically they're the same unit.

Well, if Babylon is not made available to everyone, it will be the first thing custom modded and distributed once the tools are available!

Sure.... So long as you don't use the art used in the DLC, there. :p Lawyers would get on you if you distributed that for free.

So, you'd need one single warrior for city capture purposes.

For every other warrior, you'd still be better off with a bowman.
There is no reason why you can't use bowmen offensively.

No so sure about that. From my experience, the Bowmen are squishy. One or two spearmen can route you. Keep at least a few melee units with them to protect them.

Main reason being that if a unit comes up fast... They can't really do much about it other than sit there and let themselves be attacked. You'll get one shot off, and that generally isn't enough.

We should be able to discuss whats publicly out now. From what I remember when I take a city it never gets to 0 hp but to 1 hp so you need a melee or mounted unit to take it. Its part of 1upt and makes you think of operating in unit teams instead one-man armies and SoDs. You gotta use tactics! :lol:

sure they can't engage melee. But they can just move back 1 tile and then attack with 8 str.

What I dont understand is why, if an archer at 4/7 was deemed too strong and hence nerfed to 4/6 did the bowman not go down to 6/7. I would still find that more than worth for a UU.

I mean an immortal has +1 STR but it somehow seems so excessive that the cost is increased by 10 above the base spearman.

Here we have a bowman with +2 melee and +2 range str and somehow it gets the pass. Do we need another civ4 rome that ruins the gameplay?

Personally I'd rather not judge until I've tried it out... but it certainly raises some eyebrows.

?

from page 60 of the actual user manual

Note that a ranged attack cannot drop a city below 1 HP: the city must be captured by a melee unit.

any unit that has a ranged attack value, ONLY uses ranged attacks, so they cannot take cities, though they can drop them to 1hp so a warrior could take it then

UA: Ingenuity (Receive free Great Scientist when you research Writing. Earn Great Scientists at double the usual rate.)

hideously overpowered ability. congrats to firaxis for breaking their own game with the first extra content :lol:

Top Bottom