Back-transparent screen-overlay - causes headacke

K2DK

Chieftain
Hmm have had a searing headacke the last couple of days. I finally tracked the cause to the black screen overlay of civ 5. I think the constant changing back and forth between a black and a lighted screen simply is too much contrast to be healthy.

Anyone else had this experience?

Please describe in more detail what you're seeing or, if possible, provide a screenshot. I don't understand what you mean by "black screen overlay." Thanks!

Here's a normal screenshot:

One with black screen overlay:

My problem with this is that the contrast between a normal image and the black screen overlay is quite a lot. Ie, if you play a lot, your eyes are entertained with a lot of changing bright and dark flashes. Not a very good thing, and in my case severe headache. First time in 25 years of gaming I might add.

Its not a bug per see, but it really is annoying. Its actually the same when changing to leader view. Those are also very dark in comparison with the map:

Possible constructive solutions:

1) Remove the black overlay entirely. Let the ruins found and so on be points on the right like social policy up for adoption, peace and war and so on..

2) Do a fade routine, just for .5 sec or so to change to colors from the map to black dark (and back). This will allow the eyes time to adjust, which I personally think they should.

I see what you mean, now. That's too bad that this is spoiling your playing the game. Have you tried changing some of the values in the GraphicsSettingsDX11.ini files (make a backup copy first)? Post again if that doesn't help and I can move this thread to the Civ - Ideas & Suggestions forum, which I think is a more appropriate spot.

Hi Pete and Dave, I'll have a look at your suggestions, in the morning (I'm on CET timezone).

I'm sure its working as intended, but I'm on 2560x1600 screen here, and the change in contrast is literally in my face :)

Look, sorry bout the drama. I think it is something to be looked at, maybe just an option in the ini file would do it for me.

I'm sure its working as intended, but I'm on 2560x1600 screen here, and the change in contrast is literally in my face :)
I'll admit, the first thing that popped into my head was that you're probably sitting too close to your monitor in a room that's too dark.

Of course "too" is a judgment call, but changing either of those things should be easy enough, and within your control, so it's worth a shot.

I'll admit, the first thing that popped into my head was that you're probably sitting too close to your monitor in a room that's too dark.

Of course "too" is a judgment call, but changing either of those things should be easy enough, and within your control, so it's worth a shot.

Well, that is the case, since one of my lights broke down a couple of months ago. However, I play a lot of games and no other games have messed with me this way.

Further, the overlay effect is completely unnecessary, so why not just kill it?

But I can see from the lack of replies that I am the only one (or nearly) to have the problem so I suppose it will end down in the "someday" pile of issues. :) Being a software engineer myself, I know what that means.

Interestingly, I looked at your images before on a flatscreen. Seeing them on my (slightly larger) CRT at home, I see more of the eye strain/contrast issue. So I definitely sympathize.

I'll move this thread to the Ideas & Suggestions forum. Perhaps it will get more attention there.

Moderator Action: Moved to the I&S forum.

Possible solution that hasn't been mentioned yet: play in a window rather than in full screen.

Now that's not an ideal situation, but it might help if the problem persists. I think it's reasonable to have an option as to whether or not to have the black overlay. I think such contrast is rather nice and neat, but if it's causing problems for some people, the obvious solution would be to make it optional.

Possible solution that hasn't been mentioned yet: play in a window rather than in full screen.

Now that's not an ideal situation, but it might help if the problem persists. I think it's reasonable to have an option as to whether or not to have the black overlay. I think such contrast is rather nice and neat, but if it's causing problems for some people, the obvious solution would be to make it optional.

All I'm asking is that we color everything in shades of yellow..

Well, your suggestion might also work. :)

Top Bottom