Barbie Movie Discussion (Spoilers)

Zardnaar

Deity
Thread for discussion about the movie with spoilers. You have been warned.

Anyway I thought it was great. Clever better than expected.

Multiple ways to interpret the movie. Final spoiler warning.

Any image of the "non-alpha Kens"?

Alan the redhead for sure. I guess the other kens would more accurately be described as metrosexual (highly interested in fashion)....again, sort of expected because dolls are supposed to dressed up repeatedly.

The main Ken did a good job of fitting the stereotype of being Barbie's 'bestie' instead of a love interest (he loved her, she had no romantic interest in him).

I just realized how much Blond Gosling resembles adult Draco Malfoy.

Alan the redhead for sure. I guess the other kens would more accurately be described as metrosexual (highly interested in fashion)....again, sort of expected because dolls are supposed to dressed up repeatedly.

The main Ken did a good job of fitting the stereotype of being Barbie's 'bestie' instead of a love interest (he loved her, she had no romantic interest in him).

Alan wasn't a Ken. I assumed he was a discontinued doll but idk.

Alan wasn't a Ken. I assumed he was a discontinued doll but idk.
They got a wiki for everything now.

They got a wiki for everything now.

Cheers in the movie they referenced discontinued dolls.

The first Ken doll I ever got was Walk Lively Ken. He had medium brown hair. Blond Kens seem odd, as I don't think I ever had one.

If you're watching barbie @ your age I guess I should feel less anxious about my nearly 15 year old daughter still watching duck tales (and talking to me about it :ack: )

If you're watching barbie @ your age I guess I should feel less anxious about my nearly 15 year old daughter still watching duck tales (and talking to me about it :ack: )

My niece is 14 and wants to see it. Told my sister she might like it more than my niece.

Sister thought it woud be a cringy kids movie. Spoiler its not.

Last edited:
Barbie dolls (and their crew) were way too massive, imo. It sort of defeats the purpose of an elaborate game, when due to space you can't have that many participant dolls.
Well, tbf, it defeats the purpose of games with the plots mine had. Usually mass double-crossing and usurpation of kingdoms, with the goal to lord over serfs etc.

Why does it matter what age someone is?

For that matter, without having seen the movie and only speculating on my part, a lot of the point of the movie is to capture adult audiences.

Something intended for children doesn’t need to be lacking in depth or interest. I think looking down on audiences is what makes these bad when there’s nothing inherent in the art form that says it has to be bad.

Why does it matter what age someone is?

For that matter, without having seen the movie and only speculating on my part, a lot of the point of the movie is to capture adult audiences.

Something intended for children doesn’t need to be lacking in depth or interest. I think looking down on audiences is what makes these bad when there’s nothing inherent in the art form that says it has to be bad.

A kid will miss a lot of things even intelligent educated ones. Or the movie is referencing something you need to experience or live through.

Oppenheimer got an M rating here (mature). That's a recommendation not requirement.

If Barbie was intended for just kids it would have had a PG rating and not PG-13. Adults don't always need 'R' or 'M' content in a movie to enjoy it. That said, it had its moments, but I kind of got bored with it towards the end.

Oppenheimer got an M rating here (mature). That's a recommendation not requirement.
Over here it's R rating, under 17 not allowed to watch it in theater without parent in attendence.

PG13 is just a suggestion, they won't stop a group of 8-10 year olds attending by themselves without any adults.

A kid will miss a lot of things even intelligent educated ones. Or the movie is referencing something you need to experience or live through.
If it’s that kind of “wink wink” type thing, I don’t like it. It’s just lazy writing.

My main point though is that something can be enjoyable to children and adults for the same reason, it just needs to be done well enough.

Barbie, the movie, is not targeted at kids. I thought it was aimed pretty clearly at adult women, those with enough life experience to have run into a bunch of the issues mentioned.

If it’s that kind of “wink wink” type thing, I don’t like it. It’s just lazy writing.

My main point though is that something can be enjoyable to children and adults for the same reason, it just needs to be done well enough.

There's a lot going on in the movie my sister (11 years older plus Barbie girl) might get things I don't.

Alot of it is also open to interpretation ymmv.

Top Bottom