Barbie Movie Discussion (Spoilers)

Barbie, the movie, is not targeted at kids. I thought it was aimed pretty clearly at adult women, those with enough life experience to have run into a bunch of the issues mentioned.
It tries to give reasons for everyone to see it. Selected lines from an article, link included if interested in full article.

Barbie, may, in fact, be aimed more at adults than it is at children. After all, it’s the pre-internet generations that played with dolls more often than kids do now. Those generations are also the ones that are currently having children and making money. Barbie looks like it’s going to touch on several things that will give both the young and the old a reason to see it: the over-the-top, somewhat sarcastic aesthetic aimed at teenagers; the ironic, self-aware comedy meant for young adults; and the nostalgia folded into the entire movie that brings in parents and previous Barbie owners.
But social commentary and skillful symbolism aren’t the only parts of the film with value. Barbie will still be a funny movie. Even if you don’t want to look for Greta Gerwig’s superior filmmaking ability, Barbie is still meant to be enjoyed by as many people as possible.
The deeper meaning might be for adults, but the humor will be enough to please everyone.

Really, though, Gosling and Margot are too old to pass as Barbie/Ken.
As though you can correctly assess what the toys' ages ought to be.

This reminds of people who insist that anime characters are mostly white lol.

If you're watching barbie @ your age I guess I should feel less anxious about my nearly 15 year old daughter still watching duck tales (and talking to me about it :ack: )
Sounds like you have no idea what you're talking about.

News at 11.

1690096729023.png

=> She was always a teen.

Last edited:
And somehow company executives are better at making such a pronouncement despite tons of evidence to the contrary?
I’m missing something here. As Mattel is the maker of the toy, are they also not maker of its canon? I mean, I don’t think they’ve ever felt constrained by it since she’s been a cheerleader, veterinarian, astronaut, Canadian Mounted Police, NASCAR driver, Olympic athlete, and candidate for President of the United States.

I’m missing something here. As Mattel is the maker of the toy, are they also not maker of its canon? I mean, I don’t think they’ve ever felt constrained by it since she’s been a cheerleader, veterinarian, astronaut, Canadian Mounted Police, NASCAR driver, Olympic athlete, and candidate for President of the United States.
That also makes it unreasonable to insist that Barbie is always 19-years-old. Your status as a creator doesn't matter if you undermine the canon you established.

If you're watching barbie @ your age I guess I should feel less anxious about my nearly 15 year old daughter still watching duck tales (and talking to me about it :ack: )

I'm 60, not 600, Narz. :huh:

And no, I'm not "watching" Barbie. I don't go to movies, so the only way I'll watch this one is if it turns up on TV or on Amazon Prime.

My grandmother talked me into going to a meeting of the local doll club once. This was sometime in the '80s; I don't remember just when. One of the members was a former alderman (back when Ethel Taylor was the first woman on City Council, they had no gender-neutral term for it; she died years ago and has both a bridge and a major street named after her).

Most of the women there were over 60, and part of what some of them did was to make clothes and mend old dolls for the Christmas Bureau. I helped out a bit with that one year, trying to make decent hairstyles for some of those Barbies (one of the most useful skills to do with hair and fashion is learning to braid). It's not like they sat around and played with dolls.

We were able to get a lot of good information to figure out what was and wasn't valuable in our own collections. I remember my grandmother being extremely happy when one Mother's Day came along and I presented her with the Sonny half of the Sonny & Cher set. She'd been looking for him for years, and I ran across one in decent shape at the swap meet/craft fair I was selling at (I'd set up my table, get someone to watch it, and spend 10 minutes taking a quick scan of the competition's tables; as soon as I spotted the Sonny doll I bought it). The person selling it had no idea what it was really worth, so I got a VERY good deal.

I've also got a slew of patterns for doll furniture. One sturdily-made Barbie chair makes a good bookend and a handy pincushion.

The first book series I seriously collected was Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators. I got into those in Grade 5 when the school librarian read one of them to us. I later took the book out to read it for myself and gradually read more. I asked for some for my birthday, and that was the start of a lifetime fondness for this series. There used to be a Yahoo group for TTI fans, and one of the members wrote a fanfic novel, releasing one new chapter a week. Since I don't toss old emails that matter to me, I may be able to reconstruct that novel even though the group itself got zapped when Yahoo got rid of them. Most of the people in that group were over 40, as we had fond memories of collecting these books decades ago. I still have mine.

I still re-read them now and then, just like every few years I'll re-read my Archie comics. Your daughter might decide next week that she's not into Duck Tales anymore, or she might still enjoy them 20+ years from now. I don't see what difference it makes.

Her telling you about it means she's engaged in thinking about stories. That's good exercise for the imagination for people who are interested in writing.

View attachment 667828
=> She was always a teen.

Must've been a prodigy, then, since she's also had careers that require multiple university degrees.

Not all Barbies are that kind. I have several variations of Skipper, and my first Barbie was actually Skipper's friend, Fluff (appalling name, but she was cute).

There are even younger members of Barbie's "family".

Not to mention Starfleet. It had been many years since I'd bought any Barbies, but I couldn't pass up Star Trek Barbie & Ken when I saw a set on eBay. They're still mint in the box.

Candidate. You don’t need to be 35 to lose.

Do you have to be 35 to file nomination papers, or whatever they do in the U.S. to be a candidate?

She’s both a high school student and a business executive, she has a car and a house in Malibu. I mean at some point the logic thing has got to go out the window anyway.
Don't forget that she has been an ASTRONAUT since 1965 and a surgeon since '73, so she has some Doogie Howser stuff

Moderator Action: SNIP...foul language is against the rules, which includes trying to bypass the censor. -lymond
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889 going on.

Oh and she was a Presidential candidate in 1992, which would have required her to be 35 years old.

I'm not sure what the minimum age is to be a tooth fairy, but she has been the tooth fairy too.

Candidate. You don’t need to be 35 to lose.

You're not eligible to run unless you're eligible to serve.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't seen the movie yet, so I'm skipping the content of this thread for now, but I just wanted to toss a log onto the fire...

The Hollywood Reporter, 24 July 2023 - "Box Office Stunner: ‘Barbie’ Opens to Staggering $162M, ‘Oppenheimer’ Snags $82.4M"

THR said:
The summer box office just went nuclear.
THR said:
It scored the biggest opening ever for a WB title in major markets[...]
THR said:
It scored the biggest opening ever for a WB title in major markets, including Mexico ($22.3 million), Brazil ($15.9 million) and Australia ($14.6 million). The U.K. led with $22.9 million, the biggest showing for the studio since the pandemic. Barbie wasn’t expected to make a big splash in Asian markets, although it did do better than expected in China, with $8.2 million.
THR said:
In North America, Barbie scored the biggest domestic start ever for a movie directed by a woman,
THR said:
Barbie also set a slew of other records, including landing the top opening of 2023 to date,
THR said:
This will be the first three-day weekend in history when one movie earns $100 million or more and another $50 million or more.

Revenue-wise, this is the fourth-biggest weekend of all time and the biggest since Avengers: Endgame, according to Comscore, with combined ticket sales hitting $311.1 million in a rare feat.

What was that phrase being kicked around earlier..? I can't remember. 'Go woke, make box office history'? It was something like that. Ah well, doesn't matter now, I guess.

Barbie and Ken are both powerful old cosmic entities that have always existed but have only been known to humans since we dared to give them a physical, plastic form. Their age is ancient and unknowable, but I'll give my best guess as it being anywhere between 19 (as Mattel says) and 7 trillion.

So Barbies are the villains?

I've kinda said it's a feminist movie mocking feminism. Barbie and Ken land are both dystopia.

I mean Barbieland is a dystopia in the sense that almost all supposedly utopian societies can look like a dystopia once you dig beneath the surface a bit, and Barbieland is intended to be a utopian society, but it's a utopian society meant to look like it was designed half by a bunch of 6-year-old girls playing with toys who have very simplistic understandings of how the world works and still have that elementary-schooler girls-vs-boys mindset, and the other half of the design is toy executives taking advantage of that childish understanding to sell toys and accessories and stuff. Then of course Kendom is basically the gender-flipped version of that utopia, but now it's designed by 6-year-old boys and their childish understandings and it swapped out "boys drool" for "girls have cooties", so it's a version of our patriarchal society except it's a childish version of the patriarchy where it's all about horses and sports cars and guitars and stuff because the Kens don't actually really know what they're doing.

Tbf, it's a Barbie movie, not a Ken movie, so it hardly is an outrage that it's Barbie-centered. Getting riled up by stuff presented in a film about dolls would be a bit pointless imo, as would be arguing that the plots of girls playing with Barbies would somehow be focused on the Kens. Toys for boys typically didn't even have female characters :D
I don't plan to ever watch this though, so :dunno:

Top Bottom